Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2019

It's okay, you can make it as a screenwriter if you never even once enter this contest let alone win. Keep things in perspective.

When I entered back in the day, I probably submitted my high concept scripts, then I figured out they don't really want that very much, so I went more for my indie Little Miss Sunshine type of script and fnished in Top 10% according to hand written note, so I used that in queries, which was cool.

However, less people wanted to read that script than my high concept work, so in query land it's not the same.

I understand if you reach the top of this contest, you'll do pretty well.

Apply to contests if you want. But start writing that next script right away and also send it to other contests and query reps directly. Don't just sit there waiting to be disappointed. Forget about it, and maybe months later you'll be surprised with good news.

Always send out a script and think "that's a "no" or "pass" and keep on moving. Dwelling on it will just drive you mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      It's okay, you can make it as a screenwriter if you never even once enter this contest let alone win. Keep things in perspective.

When I entered back in the day, I probably submitted my high concept scripts, then I figured out they don't really want that very much, so I went more for my indie Little Miss Sunshine type of script and fnished in Top 10% according to hand written note, so I used that in queries, which was cool.

However, less people wanted to read that script than my high concept work, so in query land it's not the same.

I understand if you reach the top of this contest, you'll do pretty well.

Apply to contests if you want. But start writing that next script right away and also send it to other contests and query reps directly. Don't just sit there waiting to be disappointed. Forget about it, and maybe months later you'll be surprised with good news.

Always send out a script and think "that's a "no" or "pass" and keep on moving. Dwelling on it will just drive you mad.

I have no idea how to write a Little Miss Sunshine script. That's probably why I haven't entered Nicholl yet, but it's a great contest that one of these days I'll try to figure out a script that would fit their tastes.

You're way more experienced than me. Do you have any advice for writers that are hovering on the periphery - placing highly in the big contests not named Nicholl, but not quite getting into the winners circle?

Comment

Yes, same advice I gave above -- why not take those scripts that are getting good feedback and query managers with them? Move forward in the career?

I get it, I did it, when you're starting out you do the contests, but few can lead to direct leads to the industry -- but they can help you can confidence that you can write and if you're beating say 50% of the people that entered, you just may have a good script. Maybe great.

You entered the contests. Now enter the real contest -- trying to get a rep.

Comment

Yes, same advice I gave above -- why not take those scripts that are getting good feedback and query managers with them? Move forward in the career?

I get it, I did it, when you're starting out you do the contests, but few can lead to direct leads to the industry -- but they can help you can confidence that you can write and if you're beating say 50% of the people that entered, you just may have a good script. Maybe great.

You entered the contests. Now enter the real contest -- trying to get a rep.

Cool. Thanks. Probably more like 98 %. You have to beat out a lot of people to get to that upper placement in the contests, but even then, it still might get lost in the white noise. I am probably looking to get the attention of one of those bigger managers that can actually make a difference. That's the part that's confusing...how to get the rep you want.

Comment

If you did that well in contests (same script, different ones?) then you are kicking ass. Unless the script contest is the Florida State Script Contest (one I made up right now). But let's say you're talking about any of the 25 or so most of us have heard of like a blue cat, scriptapoolza, austin, etc... then you are doing great.

How do you get the rep you want? Query them directly!

And you can try some queries where you mention...

This script finished in top 5% of this contest, this contest, and this contest... or whatever sounds best.

Comment

If you did that well in contests (same script, different ones?) then you are kicking ass. Unless the script contest is the Florida State Script Contest (one I made up right now). But let's say you're talking about any of the 25 or so most of us have heard of like a blue cat, scriptapoolza, austin, etc... then you are doing great.

How do you get the rep you want? Query them directly!

And you can try some queries where you mention...

This script finished in top 5% of this contest, this contest, and this contest... or whatever sounds best.

Cool. Thanks for the encouragement and advice. More like the top five contests not named Nicholl. Different scripts. I heard one manager (that I was interested in) say that he doesn't even care unless they win the whole thing because he already has his hands full with his current roster (and it better be a huge contest). So far I have stayed away from the smaller contests. I wanted to see where I stack up. The reps I want rep some real heavy hitters. So, I'll probably try to place a little higher before contacting them.

Comment

Every rep has a full roster. Doesn't care unless you win a contest, even then most contests they don't care about. Even if you win the Nicholl and it's a little indie script -- that's a harder sell than a nice thriller or comedy, right? Yes.

My point is, I got a rep and they weren't looking for me either.They aren't looking until they find a script they like. That's how it works. They're all saying "no" to keep you away so they can keep their pile lower... but they're all looking for new writers, new blood, new ways to make money.

So just ignore all that.

And if I was going in for surgery I wouldn't want the top doctor, I'd want the number 2 girl or number 4 guy... someone that is just as good, but not arrogant about it and already at the top of their game. The one who won't phone it in, but try even harder to be number one.

In writing, you want to find the young and hungry manager who is going to make you their top client... that's so much better than having a big name manager who will not prioritize you over their other 25 already making money clients. Why would they?

Don't waste the next 5 years entering contests, sounds like you already proved you can do the job. Save up that money for flights to LA after a rep wants to sign you off your great script. Or if you live in LA, then save it for coffee and a new laptop.

The Top 10% Nicholl script did not land me a rep.

The last spec I got a rep off of, went to zero contests.

Comment

What you say about reps is probably true. I think they have a sweet spot of number of clients that they figure they can maintain, without going crazy.

And what no writer wants to be is the repped writer who gets shoved to the bottom of the rep's pile, when the rep takes on a new "star" client.

Comment

I might as well generate a bit of heat for the upcoming Quarterfinal announcement.

According to my tracking database, I'm sort of expecting the emails to go out in a week "or so". That is, from the early bird date that I submitted my one entry this year, to today, the counter started at a lofty 142 days and now reads 7! Talk about a tedious wait.

Oh, I determined the possible announcement date by averaging those of the past QF announcements I'd received since 2010: 4 of 'em, for 11 total, different scripts in 2010, 2014/15/16. Their FAQ says it's to be by July 31, but they've always been early. So, it could be as early as this Friday, but more likely very early next week.

After all, it's not like they've been busy putting out "Readers Comments"! They've only been coming in dribs and drabs; maybe 2 a week. Dreadful. With over 7000 entries, are there really that few good ones to talk about?

Comment

Last year I got email July 20. The year before that, July 18.

So, I suspect your guess is on the money.

Good luck!

Comment

I agree with Bono...

Not to be a downer, but to keep it real:

I mentioned in another thread that I asked my ex (asking for a friend, literally) if she reads the Nicholl wining script. THE WINNER. And she said "No, don't have time. I've heard of Nicholl, but I don't really know what it is."

Just understand that there are many higher level reps out there at the bigs that don't give a fukk about Nicholl and don't read the "WINNERS". My ex, swear to God, never read a single winner. Not once.

Most of her new clients came from publishers.

PUBLISHER: "Hey, I have this successful novelist who wants to try writing screenplays. Their book has sold ___ amount of copies and is on the NYTimes best seller list in the ___ position for ___ weeks."

EX: "Okay, cool, send me their book."

How the fukk do you compete with that?

Don't assume that even if you WIN Nicholl that every agent in town will scramble to read your script. Some, simply don't care. Some do (newer) some don't (established). The more established reps, if anything, are looking to poach already successful clients from other BIGS. Especially nowadays. Their rosters are pretty full.

Sorry to be the wet towel. Just want to be honest about what to expect. Not saying you won't get a rep by winning, just, there are many reps who simply don't care. Whereby they're high enough that Nicholl is not on their radar.
                        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                          I agree with Bono...

Not to be a downer, but to keep it real:
                          No no, not at all. Your rep-centric comments are always useful to consider.

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                          ...Don't assume that even if you WIN Nicholl that every agent in town will scramble to read your script. Some, simply don't care. Some do (newer) some don't (established)...
                          Maybe it's just me, but surely most who play the contest game are actually dreaming of the $$$.

As for obtaining representation, what would one do with me? After a decade, and 50+ specs, it's been a long time since I've even pursued an agent or manager. (I think I sent stuff to a few agents in 2017, though I've contacted a few recently in my guise as a 'facilitating producer' as I sought attachments. Yes, that particular job will sure be a lot easier after my first deal...)

And as for reps' interest in reading contest placements, I'm sure you're right, in general. On the other hand, I have seen reps on VPF and InkTip (and I assume other such places do it, too) who've requested Semifinalists and above. They'd be foolish not to consider that something good has come from an unknown (given that only amateurs, or under $25K types, compete in these things).

You also mention how reps strongly desire source material, versus specs.

Naturally. Specs are harder to sell, so I get it. (Most) contests are only about specs (though it's fine if they're based on your own novel etc., but that's rare).

I'm throwing a prediction out there that I'll have my first deal (whatever that entails) in under a year. In a way, I entered the 2019 Nicholl merely as a last-chance opportunity for this traditional way of gaining recognition to prove itself. If a deal happens, and I've NEVER ever placed in a contest, or even have a rep, what does that say about this industry?

Only that there are six ways from Sunday to do anything.

For example, through nothing but pitching I presently have 8 different scripts being read (9 reads, if I count one script with two producers). This was through old-fashioned cold queries, InkTip, and a funny one via LinkedIn just last Friday.

The advantage of all of these was, of course, that they were virtually free; the InkTip newsletter is under $4 a week.

Semi-retired, as I am now, I have very little money (for notes, contests, pitch services, etc.) but I sure have a hell of a lot of time.

Comment

God damn... Then you are hustling-ass! Doing exactly what you should be. 9 scripts being read? WOW! That's how you play the game! Good for you! I only have 1 out currently LOL. Loser!!! Ha!

Definitely 'six ways to Sunday' as to how to operate in this biz. I posted somewhere how I got my new manager, it was ugly, but it worked. Whatever works. Truth is, I was repping myself in order to push for that in the first place (I had to manipulate, persuade and use sell tactics to get my ex to send it out. GAMING the GAME, as it were.).

IDK... seems like you're doing everything you can based on what I've read of you here.

Best of luck!

Comment

The #1 rule for breaking in is: Try everything... and be patient!

The LinkedIn request I got last Friday was off a message I sent to the producer on that platform, last October 26th! I know he's been logged in since then, so it just must be that these guys themselves are exhausting and re-hashing every possibility to find stuff - including, it seems, going over ancient LinkedIn messages to see if anything's been missed.

It's a strange, strange biz.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                                The #1 rule for breaking in is: Try everything... and be patient!

The LinkedIn request I got last Friday was off a message I sent to the producer on that platform, last October 26th! I know he's been logged in since then, so it just must be that these guys themselves are exhausting and re-hashing every possibility to find stuff - including, it seems, going over ancient LinkedIn messages to see if anything's been missed.

It's a strange, strange biz.

Super strange biz. But, good for you for getting a request after planting the seed. Hope it works out!

Comment

Working...
                                X