X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writers room as a feature writer

Hey kids

I'm a feature writer.

I like TV but I've never written for it.

I was approached by my manager to consider writing for a high-level writers room for two months.

This comes at a point in my career where my future film work might takeoff due to a script I recently completed and which has a big director attached.

I am curious about the pros and cons of working in a writers room. Is it the equivalent of working in an office environment? Is it seen as a step down from solo feature writing?

I have been very judicious about what projects I take on and I am just worried that it might steal some of my individuality away. Not sure if that makes any sense? Almost like the equivalent of acting in CSI rather than movies
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-17-2020, 04:43 PM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Writers room as a feature writer

If this gig is paying and it's a show we've heard of in any way that's actually on TV -- sounds like a great stepping stone to more. 2 months -- not 1 thing is going happen to your feature script probably and even if it does it won't be urgent where TV is going to get in the way.

What a great problem to have.

Comment

Thanks Bono
      What do you mean nothing is going to happen in two months to my feature?
      Do you mean... because of the WGA/ATA situation?

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      If this gig is paying and it's a show we've heard of in
      any way that's actually on TV -- sounds like a great stepping stone to more. 2 months -- not 1 thing is going happen to your feature script probably and even if it does it won't be urgent where TV is going to get in the way.

What a great problem to have.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
        Thanks Bono
        What do you mean nothing is going to happen in two months to my feature?
        Do you mean... because of the WGA/ATA situation?
        I mean things move slow, you won't miss your chance if you take a TV writing job while you wait for feature to do it's thing.

I'm saying you seemed afraid to miss something so you were going to risk a sure thing and that just seemed like a bad idea.

Your manager should have told you this too, in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
          Hey kids

I'm a feature writer.

I like TV but I've never written for it.

I was approached by my manager to consider writing for a high-level writers room for two months.

This comes at a point in my career where my future film work might takeoff due to a script I recently completed and which has a big director attached.

I am curious about the pros and cons of working in a writers room. Is it the equivalent of working in an office environment? Is it seen as a step down from solo feature writing?

I have been very judicious about what projects I take on and I am just worried that it might steal some of my individuality away. Not sure if that makes any sense? Almost like the equivalent of acting in CSI rather than movies
          i'd seriously consider it. does the 2 month gig start right away or down the road? is it a case where you're replacing someone who is temporarily unavailable? that might be returning? cuz then you'd be seriously off the hook after two months.

being able to say you wrote for a high-profile writer's room can't hurt you, that i can see.

and your spec still has a long way to go before you start rewriting. i remember that even working out an option agreement takes a month. from your comments it seems clear that you don't yet have a buyer, right?

if you have a director you're still going to have to secure financing and talent if that's a requirement by the studio before they'll greenlight it. you have to get someone to produce it. you have more steps before you'll enter into rewriting.

you don't yet have an option contract, right?

does the two month gig lock you in where you can't do any other writing?

i think you have a fortunate opportunity. but, TV and a writer's room is very different than feature writing. you're not running the show. you're a piece of the puzzle.

it's your call. two months is an easy time and you'll learn whether you like the format or not.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
          X