Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2020

Thanks figment, that's what I was understanding, but I wanted to make sure.

I would prefer to submit a day early (today), but I've been working every day on this for three months (on a script I've been writing for two years). The third act is newly rewritten as of a couple weeks ago, and I'm trying to get it up to the same quality standard as the rest.

It's getting there. I wish there were two extra days though.

I will submit it by afternoon of May 1st at the latest.

Comment

Nicholl Reader Excerpts are up.

You've got to keep scrolling down to read them, because they're mixed in with other posts.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/NichollFellowships/posts/

Kudos to whomever this comment belongs:

"... [This script] is a great read. It's one of those rare scripts where, in the matter of just a few pages, you know you're in good hands. The writing is so confident and assured..., the dialogue is sharp and engaging, and elevated by the voice of the writing surrounding it... The sort of writing you pluck from the pile of possible hires and immediately set a meeting over..."

Comment

Completely bleary-eyed and feel like I could've used a few extra days.

But I submitted. I don't think I'll get to the next round, but I worked as hard as I possibly could on it. I really gave it a shot.

Good luck to all of you that entered. Thanks to all that gave information and encouragement.

BTW - I don't see where the entry number is that others have listed. EDIT - Ah I see now, it's listed as "PENDING."

I'll let you know my number when I see it confirmed.
        Last edited by Merrick; 05-01-2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

It says in the "finished" tab of my application "Allow time for our office to process your entry, once it is processed you will see "Confirmed" under your script title under Current Applications," and it is still not confirmed. Is anyone else's submission still unconfirmed?

Comment

Yep, same here. I would imagine it's normal. They apparently get a massive rush on the final day(s). It looks from the outside like it may be as busy a year as ever, despite the virus situation.

As they don't send out any news for nearly 3 months, I'm just going to remain patient and not stress about it. They'll get to it when they get to it. And no way I'll make top 5% anyway.

Comment

Surprised that after a week it's still pending. They must've really gotten a lot of entries on the final day.

Comment

Mine was confirmed at just around number 6700. I was in 8 hours before the deadline, so it was another busy year. Probably 7000 entries as was predicted.

Comment

Whoa. They had a record-breaking amount of entries this year. 7831. Kissing my chances goodbye!

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
                    Whoa. They had a record-breaking amount of entries this year. 7831. Kissing my chances goodbye!
                    Gah! That has to be a record, no? I guess everyone had some extra time on their hands from the Pandemic.

Yeah, I just kissed my chances goodbye too. Those are needle in the haystack chances.

Comment

It's certainly more than the last few years....a few hundred more than last year.

Comment

The good news: 95-99% of those entries are probably not seriously in the professional ball park;

The bad news: it's really hard for any entrant to make their own script good enough to get in the top 1-5% (I say this as a writer who has never made semis or QF himself).

Comment

Do you think the percentage is so high?

I assumed having spent 2 years on my entry [AKA nowhere near a first draft] that it's already in the top 2000 or so, but I imagine the higher you get, the fiercer the competition. At that point, it can be as much about what mood you get the reader(s) in, what time of day they read it, what's going on in the world at that current moment, etc.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I read in another thread where someone said they read for a 2nd tier competition, and the competition had trouble finding even 1 script that deserved to move onto the quarterfinals.

I did notice in Nicholl's judging requirements that "does your story have a clear beginning, middle, and end" is one of them. As well that "characters maintain a consistent tone of voice throughout the script." I mean, if they have to even include those, you can assume at least 1-2000 are immediately tossed in the bin.

One of PAGE's judging requirements is proper spelling and that you write in a 12 point font.

Comment

Wow, that's a staggering number of entries. Winning may be harder than ever, but placing could be easier. You could argue that "serious" writers were going to get their scripts in regardless of the pandemic situation and that a bump in entries may result in slightly lower quality on average, but it's likely a thin difference either way.

As mentioned previously, I've got three needles in that haystack. In hindsight I wish I'd had a little more time to tweak one of those scripts, as I don't think the draft submitted is the best draft, but so it goes...

$25k aside, it would seem like the main value of the competition for entrants is the possibility for reads/exposure, and even the QFs/SFs might offer some opportunities, so it's not all about being the last survivor on top of the mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
                              $25k aside, it would seem like the main value of the competition for entrants is the possibility for reads/exposure, and even the QFs/SFs might offer some opportunities, so it's not all about being the last survivor on top of the mountain.
                              35k, actually...

Comment

Do you think the percentage is so high?

I assumed having spent 2 years on my entry [AKA nowhere near a first draft] that it's already in the top 2000 or so, but I imagine the higher you get, the fiercer the competition. At that point, it can be as much about what mood you get the reader(s) in, what time of day they read it, what's going on in the world at that current moment, etc.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I read in another thread where someone said they read for a 2nd tier competition, and the competition had trouble finding even 1 script that deserved to move onto the quarterfinals.

I did notice in Nicholl's judging requirements that "does your story have a clear beginning, middle, and end" is one of them. As well that "characters maintain a consistent tone of voice throughout the script." I mean, if they have to even include those, you can assume at least 1-2000 are immediately tossed in the bin.

One of PAGE's judging requirements is proper spelling and that you write in a 12 point font.

I've had four scripts get top 15% (two in the top 10%) and I would say they were about the level of a 7 on the Black List. If you are getting 7s on your script then I think it has a pretty decent chance to get in the top 10-15%. There are enough solid scripts in the competition that you need to hit a fairly decent standard of craftsmanship to be competitive, IMO.

As with any other artistic endeavor, there's a lot of subjectivity involved. I read winners a couple years ago that I thought were worse than some of the QF/SF scripts. Bottom line is write something you're happy with and hope for the best with the variables you can't control.

Comment

Working...
                                X