No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospective manager wants to send script to director

Hey Guys,

Got a question for you all. I started the query process for the first time about 6 weeks ago. Got a couple read requests. One manager got back to me today, said he liked the script, and wants to send it to a director friend of his. Now he's not offering representation or anything, he just wants to pass it along to someone he thinks might be interested.

Is this weird/typical/good?

I don't see any problem with it, but hey I'm basically a newbie. Would I be risking anything allowing him to send it along?

Thanks all.

Re: prospective manager wants to send script to director

Getting a director to read your script is ultimately what you want. Well, ONE of things you want.

This manager has basically hip-pocketed you in this instance. If the director doesn't like your script, it's been no real effort on the manager's part. If the director should spark to it, then that's awesome and the manager will make moves accordingly. Even better, it's still been no real effort on the manger's part.

Comment

Yeah, that's a good thing. Let him send it and see what happens.

Comment

Keep querying. You could even use this new turn of events in a query.

On the negative side of things, who is this director? Is it someone will no/low creds? Do they have any pull with a studio (if your spec is a studio friendly script). Is this dir or even manager even that big a fish?

EJ

Comment

EJ's questions are important - but not right now. At this stage, you want your script in the hands of everyone and anyone. Low level managers, commercial directors, assistants of assistants - you never know what's going to help. If they like it and want to get involved, then it's time to start getting strategic. Right now, scorch the earth.

And yeah, keep on querying.
          Last edited by dmizzo; 09-21-2009, 05:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Thanks everyone. I told the manager to go ahead pass it along to the director. Looks like it can't hurt. I appreciate you all being here to run things by. Didn't want to make a rookie mistake!

I will definitely be digging further if there turns out to be any interest. The manager seems to be legit (lots of clients, fair amount of recent sales, etc.). Don't know who the director is that he is passing it along to.

And of course. I'm still querying!

Comment

Nice one, Dave...

Comment

Re: Prospective manager wants to send script to director

Originally posted by dwest View Post
                Hey Guys,

Got a question for you all. I started the query process for the first time about 6 weeks ago. Got a couple read requests. One manager got back to me today, said he liked the script, and wants to send it to a director friend of his. Now he's not offering representation or anything, he just wants to pass it along to someone he thinks might be interested.

Is this weird/typical/good?

I don't see any problem with it, but hey I'm basically a newbie. Would I be risking anything allowing him to send it along?

Thanks all.
                Depends on the director and the manager. What has the director done? Who is the manager?

Comment

I would totally email the dude and ask him who it is that he's sending your script to.

EJ

Comment

The way I read the original post, that's not even a hip pocket. He's not expecting 10%, he's just sending it to a buddy. Either way is probably fine, but are you and the manager on the same page there?

Comment

Originally posted by grant View Post
                      The way I read the original post, that's not even a hip pocket. He's not expecting 10%, he's just sending it to a buddy. Either way is probably fine, but are you and the manager on the same page there?
                      Depending on who the director is, and whether or not his potential interest can develop some heat around the project, you better believe the manager is hip-pocketing the O.P....

Until we know who the manager and director is, though, none of our wild speculation means squat.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

I understand the potential for a hip-pocket here, but here is how I see the situation:

If the director reads the script and is interested, then we talk. If I don't like what I'm hearing, I can walk. Then I'm in no different position than I was going into this: shopping for a rep and trying to sell a screenplay.

Right now, I don't know who the director is, but it doesn't really matter until he expresses some sort of interest.

Am I right on the above? I mean you can't be hip-pocketed unless you allow yourself to be. I can always decide to take my script and go home!

Comment

Yep.

Comment

The issue here is - does this director have any pull? Is it Jim Cameron? If so, why didn't the guy mention this? For a studio to have interest, you'd think they'd want an A-list attachment in place.

You should take this for what it is - a good sign that someone sees something in your work - but I wouldn't let the wheels stop with this guy and you should keep hustling and try and land full rep with a response that someone out there LOVES IT and WANTS TO GO WIDE with it ASAP (or give notes and get it studio ready).

I promise this is my last post on this issue lol.

EJ

Comment

You have a right to know who's reading/read your script. I don't get the secrecy here. But good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X