Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
    I'd stop now and not try again until January 7th. I won't even be looking at queries until then and probably just delete them on sight if they interrupted my vacation (when we are all recharging for the new year).

Best,

MB
    And then is there another lull for the "Sundance" time period or OK to go back to full speed after the 7th as a rule of thumb? Thanks!
    a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Michael - a little late but congrats to you and your guys on the Black List. I'm looking forward to seeing how things move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMike View Post
        And then is there another lull for the "Sundance" time period or OK to go back to full speed after the 7th as a rule of thumb? Thanks!
        I think the Sundance lull only really hits producers/execs in the independent film world and agents/managers who have indie film clients. It's not like all of Hollywood shuts down to celebrate independent film for a week.

Comment

Hey Michael,

If you have the time: I have been told that if you are an aspiring writer, you shouldn't even bother writing original pilots, since tv is more exclusive, and as an unknown you really have zero chance to break into tv unless you climb the tv ladder, etc...

I get that TV is more about the pitch, but I feel like, especially on the drama side, it at least happens -- if it's a great idea with a great execution, it's at least possible to attract some attention.

Do you consider/look at original pilot scripts -- or from your POV is the attitude more, it's not worth your time unless the writer's already on a show on the verge of getting staffed...?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Holmes View Post
            Michael - a little late but congrats to you and your guys on the Black List. I'm looking forward to seeing how things move forward.
            Thank you. Very happy for those guys.

Best,

MB
            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Bods View Post
              Hey Michael,

If you have the time: I have been told that if you are an aspiring writer, you shouldn't even bother writing original pilots, since tv is more exclusive, and as an unknown you really have zero chance to break into tv unless you climb the tv ladder, etc...

I get that TV is more about the pitch, but I feel like, especially on the drama side, it at least happens -- if it's a great idea with a great execution, it's at least possible to attract some attention.

Do you consider/look at original pilot scripts -- or from your POV is the attitude more, it's not worth your time unless the writer's already on a show on the verge of getting staffed...?

Thanks in advance.
              As a young writer, you have to write original pilots. That's how your foot in the business. Original spec pilots from new writers sell every season.

Best,

MB
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hey Michael!

Cold query question. Logline and summary or logline only? Also, if a producer, director or screenwriter read your script and liked it do you care?

Lastly, I got a read at CAA as a favor from someone. It got a consider. Does that hold any value?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RayRayRay View Post
                  Hey Michael!

Cold query question. Logline and summary or logline only? Also, if a producer, director or screenwriter read your script and liked it do you care?

Lastly, I got a read at CAA as a favor from someone. It got a consider. Does that hold any value?

Thanks!
                  Logline only for me (usually). Far too often writers will say "such and such IMDB producer likes my script". The reality is that they are most often siting someone that is wayyy off the grid and doesn't mean anything/move the needle for anyone.

I will say that as the black list website has become what it has, a link to the scripts page if it received a good rating makes it very easy for me to just go read the review and get the script myself.

That being said, you still need a great logline/pitch on the story.

Best,

MB
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

I'm about to start a new script, currently agonising over concepts. The only story I'm really itching to write is quite ambitious. Is it a complete waste of time for an amateur trying to break in to write a big budget high concept sci-fi /action spec???

I really don't want to waste my time only to be shot down in flames in six months time because (amongst other things) my story is simply too expensive to produce.

But then Pacific Rim was a spec script wasn't it?! Hmm...

Or, how about leveraging it as a calling card???

Arghhhh!!!

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by london89 View Post
                      Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

I'm about to start a new script, currently agonising over concepts. The only story I'm really itching to write is quite ambitious. Is it a complete waste of time for an amateur trying to break in to write a big budget high concept sci-fi /action spec???

I really don't want to waste my time only to be shot down in flames in six months time because (amongst other things) my story is simply too expensive to produce.

But then Pacific Rim was a spec script wasn't it?! Hmm...

Or, how about leveraging it as a calling card???

Arghhhh!!!

Thanks in advance
                      Not at all. More important than cost is you hitting it out of the park in the execution of the script.

Best,

MB
                      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Want to go bowling sometime?
                          It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks once again for taking the time to answer questions here.

I'll keep this short. If a new writer was trying to break in the industry, would you advise that person to concentrate on TV rather than a film spec? Is it worth now doing an original pilot versus a feature spec?

It seems like there's an element of "Gold rush" in TV right now. Is this something you agree with?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                              Hi Michael,

Thanks once again for taking the time to answer questions here.

I'll keep this short. If a new writer was trying to break in the industry, would you advise that person to concentrate on TV rather than a film spec? Is it worth now doing an original pilot versus a feature spec?

It seems like there's an element of "Gold rush" in TV right now. Is this something you agree with?

EJ
                              Honestly, both are tremendously hard. And TV is harder than it ever has been with established feature writers going there to create, or even just work.

It's not about writing for film or TV, it's about coming up with the best story you can, and executing it very well.

So, if your great idea is in film, write a feature. If it's a TV show, write a pilot.

Good luck!

Best,

MB
                              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Smargiassi View Post
                                Hitching myself to an idea and taking those first few steps of the marathon is my biggest weakness. In any given year I waste months workshopping ideas that never come together.

I need a Robotard 8000.
                                Oh, you too? LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X