Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tusk--see it.

Those of you who are into movies that take chances, are unique, and are fearless, need to get out and see this movie--particularly if you love horror comedy. The reviews are great for Kevin Smith's new movie, calling it out of left field, wholly unique and original, and batshit crazy in the best possible way. It's probably the best movie KS has ever made.

You know how people feel that nothing original comes out of Hollywood? Well, this one's for you, just premiered at TIFF and will open on 1,000 screens on September 19th, I believe.

Check out the review in Variety and go support this independent film!

http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews...sk-1201300365/

Re: Tusk--see it.

Better than Red State?

Comment

A couple of months ago Kevin Smith hugged me when I told him he was my inspiration to start writing. I owe him a viewing of Tusk but I've been looking forward to it for ages anyway.

Comment

At first I was all about Kevin Smith for his indie spirit and his knack or dialogue, then I was like, OK this guy is never going to mature as a filmmaker and go beyond high school type humor and really mediocre camera work, then yadayadayada, there are films I saw and others I didn't, but I always felt that for a guy with such promise at the outset, he didn't go as far as he seemed to be capable of at first.

So yeah, I'm definitely interested in checking this out 'cause I always had a fondness for the dude. He was one of THE major embodiments of true indie filmmaking in the 90s. Making it happen all on his own dime and with no fancy 100K film degree to show for.

Comment

Kudos to your boss, Geoff.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
            Kudos to your boss, Geoff.
            lol. shots fired?

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
              lol. shots fired?
              Why would Pennypacker fire shots? Not a fan of Kevin Smith?

Comment

#WalrusYES

Comment

Holy **** - out of theaters, already!

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                    Holy **** - out of theaters, already!
                    It opened with a theater avg of $1,407.

Comment

It opened a month ago! Today! Of course it didn't make money, they only gave people three weeks to see it.

Comment

It opened a month ago! Today! Of course it didn't make money, they only gave people three weeks to see it.
                        If a film opens with a theater average of $1,407, nobody wants to see it. A24 is smart for not waiting more than 3 weeks to figure that out. I saw the film, it was kinda awesome if forgettable. But to show you just how low of a take that is: Guardians of the Galaxy averaged about $1,350 this weekend at 130 more theaters than Tusk opened in. Guardians has been playing for 12 weeks.

A24 had another release that was similar: The Rover, which after a 5-screen debut, opened the following weekend at 600 locations and averaged just $791 per screen. Two weeks later, they'd pulled it from all but 21 screens. The money just isn't there. A24 only has 3 films that have made profitable averages on releases of more than 200 screens. They're still working out the kinks with marketing, I presume. This is only their second year of operation as a distrib.

Comment

Correction, they only gave people three weeks to see it and didn't advertise it. I'd have seen it, if I had had a chance.

Comment

Correction, they only gave people three weeks to see it and didn't advertise it. I'd have seen it, if I had had a chance.
                            I swear I'm not just arguing for the sake of arguing, haha, but I saw ads for the film probably 7 or 8 times before its release.

Comment

I swear that I'm not, either. Where'd you see these ads? I don't think I've ever seen an ad for an A24 film.

Comment

Working...
                              X