Upon script request: send PDF or printout?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upon script request: send PDF or printout?

I got a script request from a production company via email. They give the option of sending my script as PDF, but also make obvious mention of the Post Office's free flat rate envelopes "perfect for scripts."

Do you think they prefer a printout? (I'm pretty broke and would rather send the PDF, but will spring for the print job and postage if it will increase my chances for a quicker read.)

Any thoughts?

Re: Upon script request: send PDF or printout?

Save the time and money--send a PDF. It will get read much quicker.

ST

Comment

Originally posted by frankienova View Post
      I got a script request from a production company via email. They give the option of sending my script as PDF, but also make obvious mention of the Post Office's free flat rate envelopes "perfect for scripts."
      Zero Gravity, right?

Comment

Unless they ask for a hard copy -- PDF all the way. I haven't sent a hard copy in a long long time.

Comment

Yes, you got it. Have you dealt with them, BurOak?

Comment

Originally posted by frankienova View Post
            Yes, you got it. Have you dealt with them, BurOak?
            Had a couple of read requests but no bites yet...and another script that they asked for that's on its way over.

They seem pretty open and receptive, in my experience.

Comment

Sent it via PDF. As a poor writer, this is the cheapest way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                Sent it via PDF. As a poor writer, this is the cheapest way to go.
                Also saves you the aggravation of worrying about whether you got the brass brads done just right.

Comment

Shoot them a PDF. Hard copies only expand the time of the silence, which to a writer who just has their script requested, can feel like FOR-EV-ER!
                  If there are any questions, direct them to [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Hole Brad View Post
                    Shoot them a PDF. Hard copies only expand the time of the silence, which to a writer who just has their script requested, can feel like FOR-EV-ER!
                    Amen.

Blessed be the day that Hollywood FINALLY got on the PDF wagon. I crunched some numbers and realized that at the pace of requests I've recieved in the last five months alone -- it would've cost me close to $300. (brads, paper, ink, postage, gas, etc)

Hopefully there won't be some "incident" in the industry that scares them away from PDFs (the way situations like the "Jingle All The Way" incident helped start the "no unsolicited submissions" revolution.)
                    "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                    - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Let me add to this just a tad.

Sometimes you will be requested to send a hard-copy... and this will be a tip-off. Usually this reader will be "computer challenged" (as in doesn't know what Adobe is or worse, as in no computer--yes they exist), and they will be of the older generation/s where all that "darned fangled" new equipment is just beyond them.

So if you get one of these, be sure to attach a nice looking type, double spaced note to the script--with a thank you, etc.

My lit-agent is one of these people, and he will not open a PDF file under any circumstances. When asked why, the truth came out and he did not know how to download adobe, or Primo PDF and so on. He is in his late 50's and straight from the Jurrasic Period.

And then there are that few who just "like to have it in their hands" --and turn the pages and make notes as they go along. And this point is valid because you can get a good sense of timing this way.

I wonder (and if anyone knows please chime in), can these new I-pads open up PDF files? I suspect that they can. I bet that there is a way to read a script full page on one of these puppies and makes notes on it at the same time with a stylus.

Am I right or wrong?

So if you are asked to provide a hard copy--don't fight it. Priority mail, USPS is the cheapest and fastest way to get it there.

T

Comment

Originally posted by Takezo View Post
                        Let me add to this just a tad.

Sometimes you will be requested to send a hard-copy... and this will be a tip-off. Usually this reader will be "computer challenged" (as in doesn't know what Adobe is or worse, as in no computer--yes they exist), and they will be of the older generation/s where all that "darned fangled" new equipment is just beyond them.

So if you get one of these, be sure to attach a nice looking type, double spaced note to the script--with a thank you, etc.

My lit-agent is one of these people, and he will not open a PDF file under any circumstances. When asked why, the truth came out and he did not know how to download adobe, or Primo PDF and so on. He is in his late 50's and straight from the Jurrasic Period.

And then there are that few who just "like to have it in their hands" --and turn the pages and make notes as they go along. And this point is valid because you can get a good sense of timing this way.

I wonder (and if anyone knows please chime in), can these new I-pads open up PDF files? I suspect that they can. I bet that there is a way to read a script full page on one of these puppies and makes notes on it at the same time with a stylus.

Am I right or wrong?

So if you are asked to provide a hard copy--don't fight it. Priority mail, USPS is the cheapest and fastest way to get it there.

T
                        lol. I actually wouldn't mind sending a hard copy these days just for throwbacks sake. But if I would've had to hard copy the 20 requests I have had the last few months, I'd be p!ssed.
                        "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                        - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

This is for all you snot-noses to this game...

Back in the day there was this copy-shop in the LA area named "Charlie Chan's" --and they had a couple of locations, and their copies were dirt cheap. So you would go into this place on a wed to copy your scripts for the weekend reads--and you would literally see half a dozen of so writers stacking up copies and inserting brass brad (the big fat ones, which could only be purchased as a certian stationary store on Santa Monica Blvd. --now closed).

I, at one time, had a copy-key to a certain copy machine on the Universal lot--in the producer's building, which I used many, many times to my advantage in the late 80's and 90's.

The xerox copy process was completely wasteful and time consuming. There was a one time couriers who would move scripts and documents around town in an hour or so (used by agents in the day to show how serious they were).

Now, thank God, it is all done at the stroke of a key--and emailed.

I think the guy who owned Charlie Chan threw himself off the Wiltern building sometime in 2006.

The only time I print out material is when it goes to my (ancient) lit-agent, or when I am in the final editing throws of a project--and I will go through ten or twelve copies bound in a three ring binder for ease of carry and making notes (I buy the binders at the 99 cent stores).

Other than that, my Hewlett Packard printer sits completely dormant.

Okay--who took my walker and my pills!??

ST

Comment

Ive sent out 38 copies of my script in past month using pdf. In dollars that is over 400 bucks I saved. So its safe to say that when you multiply that with writers all over the country, that is why the post office is going under.

Comment

Working...
                            X