How come I can't get representation even when I'm in the middle of a deal?!??!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How come I can't get representation even when I'm in the middle of a deal?!??!

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
    What about it dirtbottle...what's the update???
    Sorry, this thread was years old and didn't know it had been bumped up but someone PM'd and let me know and I finally saw what he was talking about so... here's the update.

As for the six figure deal - it fell through, the book deal, got hung up on money, the mma script deal blew apart on creative differences which turned off the financiers. Such is life unfortunately. But I kept writing.

as of TODAY 7/13 - A company that what I would call a mid-level prodco/management company known on this board and generally well-reviewed by the posters here, sent me an e-mail requesting to sign me to a 2 year management agreement based on the strength of 3 scripts they've read. (2 they liked the writing and one they also LOVE the concept and script) They wanted 15% I don't know if that's standard per se as I know other managers charge 20% in some instances and agents charge 10%.

What I DO know is that this all came about from a connection I made from the very first script I wrote in my career on which I got an offer for 10k v. 250,000 and I posted on this board back then looking for advice. I eventually turned the deal down like a complete asshat because I thought everything sold for a million bucks. Needless to say it set my career back by a few years.

In any case, from that I got the name of someone at this company by accident and then last year sent them a script, they read it, liked it and pitched it around their company. No luck. But we kept in touch. Then in February of this year I wrote 2 new scripts. One seemed to be a nice fit for them at the time and so I sent that along and would he please read.

He did. While he didn't think the script would be an easy sell he did say he was liking the writing very much and did I have others? I had the other as well obviously and sent that along. He read, loved, pitched around, others read it, loved it etc. and here we are.

Now, along the way, I had asked if they signed new writers. He said most often they don't. Most often they basically "Hip pocket" them and help them develop material then take it out. So I feel pretty stoked they came back and surprised me with a representation offer.

I'm feeling very strongly that they think they can sell this. They've taken some time and probably put out feelers already on it. I feel good about being asked to sign. Is 15% too much? Is there negotiating on this? After botching my first contract offer way back when I'd obviously not like to repeat my folly. So... advice? Feedback?

The idea is what eventually sold them... but the writing was what kept them reading long enough to get to the right idea.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Re: How come I can't get representation even when I'm in the middle of a deal?!??!

Best of luck dirtbottle.

BTW...I definitely need to include the word asshat into my everyday vocabulary. Love it.

MT
      If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by mtoomey View Post
        Best of luck dirtbottle.

BTW...I definitely need to include the word asshat into my everyday vocabulary. Love it.

MT
        Just make sure you avoid having to include it in reference to yourself because you bungled a big offer!

Comment

Thanks 4 filling me in db! good luck!!

Comment

10% is standard these days. that 20 you mention for just a manager is unheard of.

if they are intent on signing you, someone else will, too. don't feel desperate such that you sell yourself short.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
              Sorry, this thread was years old and didn't know it had been bumped up but someone PM'd and let me know and I finally saw what he was talking about so... here's the update.

As for the six figure deal - it fell through, the book deal, got hung up on money, the mma script deal blew apart on creative differences which turned off the financiers. Such is life unfortunately. But I kept writing.

as of TODAY 7/13 - A company that what I would call a mid-level prodco/management company known on this board and generally well-reviewed by the posters here, sent me an e-mail requesting to sign me to a 2 year management agreement based on the strength of 3 scripts they've read. (2 they liked the writing and one they also LOVE the concept and script) They wanted 15% I don't know if that's standard per se as I know other managers charge 20% in some instances and agents charge 10%.

What I DO know is that this all came about from a connection I made from the very first script I wrote in my career on which I got an offer for 10k v. 250,000 and I posted on this board back then looking for advice. I eventually turned the deal down like a complete asshat because I thought everything sold for a million bucks. Needless to say it set my career back by a few years.

In any case, from that I got the name of someone at this company by accident and then last year sent them a script, they read it, liked it and pitched it around their company. No luck. But we kept in touch. Then in February of this year I wrote 2 new scripts. One seemed to be a nice fit for them at the time and so I sent that along and would he please read.

He did. While he didn't think the script would be an easy sell he did say he was liking the writing very much and did I have others? I had the other as well obviously and sent that along. He read, loved, pitched around, others read it, loved it etc. and here we are.

Now, along the way, I had asked if they signed new writers. He said most often they don't. Most often they basically "Hip pocket" them and help them develop material then take it out. So I feel pretty stoked they came back and surprised me with a representation offer.

I'm feeling very strongly that they think they can sell this. They've taken some time and probably put out feelers already on it. I feel good about being asked to sign. Is 15% too much? Is there negotiating on this? After botching my first contract offer way back when I'd obviously not like to repeat my folly. So... advice? Feedback?

The idea is what eventually sold them... but the writing was what kept them reading long enough to get to the right idea.

Hope that helps.
              Congratulations on this. I don't like the terms they offered, but if you can negotiate down as others have mentioned, then that's great. PM me if you want an opinion on the company.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                Congratulations on this. I don't like the terms they offered, but if you can negotiate down as others have mentioned, then that's great. PM me if you want an opinion on the company.
                Thanks. I feel like it's all working out. They're being fair and easy to work with and they have a good rep and some good writers so I feel good.

Comment

Thanks. I feel like it's all working out. They're being fair and easy to work with and they have a good rep and some good writers so I feel good.
                  There you go, best of luck with it.

Comment

Seriously, what is wrong with people in this town? I mean here I am literally with a deal on the table for six figures and I can't get a manager!??! What in god's name are they looking for? Any advice? Or any managers out there looking for a guy with a producer's credit, a signed contract for six figures, a deal in the works for book rights, who has also been asked to write a script for a Mixed Martial Arts Star who is now an action filmstar, oh yeah and I have a low-budget comedy I wrote which also looks like it's going into production.

Don't you know that you must also fund the production, manage the grips and assistant directors, cut the film, distribute it, collect all the revenues and send them to the studio--then a management company or agency will then represent you and take their 10% fee.

This is the new way of things.

Do I sound crazy?!
                    Yup--but this is how crazy it is in this town now.

They/them are all running scared. All their fun money and sources of investment capital is drying up now due to the global credit crisis which is only worsening by the week. The agencies are cutting back, and cutting off some of their clients who are marginal.

Getting a big name agency to run with you is difficult.
                    I suggest contacting some smaller shops ASAP with the low-down.

ST

Comment

They wanted 15% I don't know if that's standard per se as I know other managers charge 20% in some instances and agents charge 10%.
                      A common deal offered by managers that I was exposed to was charging 10% if you have an agent and 15% if you don't. In other words, if they are doing all the heavy lifting by themselves then they get more. And you can afford to pay more because you're not also paying an agent. Never heard of 20%.

I feel good about being asked to sign. Is 15% too much? Is there negotiating on this?
                      Bottom line? After years of scrabbling around to get a few people to read my stuff I would gladly pay someone 15% to take my script out wide. If you have choices take the one with the best track record regardless of %. If you don't, take him. When it comes to talking up your work, you and him is better than just you.

Congrats.

chuck

Comment

Working...
                      X