Leeches (managers, agents) vs. "Oscar" winners.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leeches (managers, agents) vs. "Oscar" winners.

Originally posted by GreyGhost22 View Post
    Excuse my rant. I know I am regurgitating old stuff but really...

I've sent some cold queries (20 snail mails, in fact) to four directors that have their own production houses; four top-notch agents / managers for "Oscar" winning actors and six to B and C-tier agents and six to B and C-tier managers.

Two directors, both "Oscar" winners, have already replied - one have very kindly passed asking my pardon explaining that he's engaged in a new, huge production he even described to me and, another requested the script.

Not a single leech replied. So, WTF? These fvcking leeches seem busier than "Oscar" winning directors that run their own companies? I mean, honestly, what the fvck these leeches are doing that is so important?
    You can call agents and managers leeches if you want but at the moment they aren't leeching anything from you.

So, if they haven't taken anything from you, why do you want to denigrate them by calling them leeches?

They work for their clients. They work on commission. You are not their client.

If they spend their time on you and your script -- they ARE DOING YOU A FAVOR.

Do you go to a barbershop and ask the barber to look at your hair, not cut it, just look at it.

Because he's a barber and he should be interested in hair.

No, because you understand that he needs to fill his chair and his time with paying customers.

Yet, you expect every agent or manager to spend their time on your script. And if they're spending their time on your script, why shouldn't they spend their time on the scripts of the other thousand posters here?

Oh, because your script can make them a fortune in commissions if only they would read it.

Maybe. But probably not. At best it would probably be used as a writing sample. Which means breaking a new writer. Which means you have to be someone people want to work with. Which seems unlikely if you hold the attitude that these human beings are only interested in sucking the lifeblood out of you.

Good luck with the director. If he likes your work maybe he'll refer you to an agent. You might want to keep to yourself that you think they're all leeches.

Comment

I've had success getting directors to read my query and work. I figure that directors have more freedom to throw **** on the walls in meetings and discussions with their reps/producers. Lit Agents and Managers have to be more selective as projects that don't stick can make them less credible in finding good material.

After reading this topic and your outrage in these leeches, it makes me feel better about having two sucking the blood out of me.
      If there are any questions, direct them to [email protected]

Comment

Grey: In any endeavor, a key to success is understanding and dealing with the realities and nuances of the business you are in -- obviously. When it comes to screenwriting and movie making, you seem to fall short on that requirement. You may be, IMHO, the most clueless person to ever post at DD (at least in the four years I've been coming every day). Your observations are so removed from reality as to be almost amusing.
        There is also a supreme irony to this post. At least one of the responders to your OP is a very respected young and up-and-coming manager who is among the most new-writer-friendly people in Hollywood. I know because I've been read and encouraged by him. He also produces, with major studio credits.
        He is anything but a leech. He gives freely of his time and expertise to proactively help all writers, including new ones -- if he thinks they have potential worth the investment of his limited and valuable time.
        There are other responders here who could have referred you to their agent or manager. Some are repped by Big 3 agents -- it doesn't get much better than that.
        The point is that IF you have a good title and logline and IF you know how to write a good query, and IF you have a great script to back it up, and IF you get up every day with a positive attitude and a love for what you do and query away like a madman, you will get read. I know because I have been read all over town, by Big 3 agents, A-list managers, an Academy Award winning producer, studio execs and others. Although I have not sold a script yet, my first one was optioned, I have a pitch in development now, and a number of non-leeches are awaiting the completion and submission of my next script.
        And I'm nobody -- plus, I live 3,000 miles away. I had ZERO connections in Hollywood when I started out. A lot of the ones I have now came directly as a result of relationships I first created here at DD -- including the previously mentioned manager.
        So if I can get through the firewall, so can you. It just takes a great title, a great logline, a great script and a computer (for the querying part). Your anger over the fact you can't get through so far just tells me, based on my direct experience over the last three years as a nobody with no industry connections, that you don't have the conceptual/creative firepower to get you through.
        And that's your fault, not the fault of the "leeches" who ignore you.
        There's an old saying, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." No one is holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to write spec scripts, then submit them to leeches whose ignorance, incompetence and laziness infuriate you. If you find the business so infuriating, why not open up a slot for someone more understanding of the unique dilemma managers and agents face? Do a good deed and end your frustration all at once! Maybe you should paint. There are few if any leeches in the art business (with the possible exception of gallery owners). You're pretty much on your own. And unlike scripts, you can sell your art by yourself on the beach every day (or just on the weekends if you prefer a more laid back lifestyle), without the need for a manager or agent.
        Last edited by jtwg50; 07-31-2010, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
          Grey: In any endeavor, a key to success is understanding and dealing with the realities and nuances of the business you are in -- obviously. When it comes to screenwriting and movie making, you seem to fall short on that requirement. You may be, IMHO, the most clueless person to ever post at DD (at least in the four years I've been coming every day). Your observations are so removed from reality as to be almost amusing.
          There is also a supreme irony to this post. At least one of the responders to your OP is a very respected young and up-and-coming manager who is among the most new-writer-friendly people in Hollywood. I know because I've been read and encouraged by him. He also produces, with major studio credits.
          He is anything but a leech. He gives freely of his time and expertise to proactively help all writers, including new ones -- if he thinks they have potential worth the investment of his limited and valuable time.
          There are other responders here who could have referred you to their agent or manager. Some are repped by Big 3 agents -- it doesn't get much better than that.
          The point is that IF you have a good title and logline and IF you know how to write a good query, and IF you have a great script to back it up, and IF you get up every day with a positive attitude and a love for what you do and query away like a madman, you wil get read. I know because I have been read all over town, by Big 3 agents, A-list managers, an Academy Award winning producer, studio execs and others. Although I have not sold a script yet, my first one was optioned, I have a pitch in development now, and a number of non-leeches are awaiting the completion and submission of my next script.
          And I'm nobody -- plus, I live 3,000 miles away. I had ZERO connections in Holywood when I started out. A lot of the ones I have now came directly as a result of relationships I first created here at DD -- including the previously mentioned manager.
          So if I can get through the firewall, so can you. It just takes a great title, a great logline, a great script and a computer (for the querying part). Your anger over the fact you can't get through so far just tells me, based on my direct experience over the last three years as a nobody with no industry connections, that you don't have the conceptual/creative firepower to get you through.
          There's an old saying, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." No one is holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to write spec scripts, then submit them to leeches whose ignorance, incompetence and laziness infuriate you. If you find the business so infuriating, why not open up a slot for someone more understanding of the unique dilemma managers and agents face? Do a good deed and end your frusatration all at once! Maybe you should paint. There are few if any leeches in the art business (with the possible exception of gallery owners). You're pretty much on your own. And unlike scripts, you can sell your art by yourself on the beach every day (or just on the weekends if you prefer a more laid back lifestyle), without the need for a manager or agent.
          This hit the nail on the head.
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

As others have said too, these guys are trying to service their current clients. It's just such a saturated market right now, and it's getting even more difficult to break through. But it can be done. Just keep at it and keep focusing on making great work into brilliant work. Brilliant work is what it takes now to get in. But they really aren't "leeches." They're just trying to feed their kids too. It is hard to not get bitter, but put all that energy into your work.

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
              The point is that IF you have a good title and logline and IF you know how to write a good query, and IF you have a great script to back it up, and IF you get up every day with a positive attitude and a love for what you do and query away like a madman, you will get read. I know because I have been read all over town, by Big 3 agents, A-list managers, an Academy Award winning producer, studio execs and others. Although I have not sold a script yet, my first one was optioned, I have a pitch in development now, and a number of non-leeches are awaiting the completion and submission of my next script.
              And I'm nobody -- plus, I live 3,000 miles away. I had ZERO connections in Hollywood when I started out. A lot of the ones I have now came directly as a result of relationships I first created here at DD -- including the previously mentioned manager.
              There's an old saying, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." No one is holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to write spec scripts, then submit them to leeches whose ignorance, incompetence and laziness infuriate you. If you find the business so infuriating, why not open up a slot for someone more understanding of the unique dilemma managers and agents face? Do a good deed and end your frustration all at once! Maybe you should paint. There are few if any leeches in the art business (with the possible exception of gallery owners). You're pretty much on your own. And unlike scripts, you can sell your art by yourself on the beach every day (or just on the weekends if you prefer a more laid back lifestyle), without the need for a manager or agent.
              Inspiring post. Thanks for brightening the day of somebody who hasn't even started down the road (in the US) yet. Nice one.

I really need to work out who these people on DD are!
              @MacBullitt

Comment

GreyGhost: You could not be more out of touch with reality. I know this because I used to work at Paramount, was a script analyst for two other major studios, was a national magazine film critic, was a manager and was close friends with a major agent for a long time. Those you dismiss as "leeches" have the same thing in common with everyone who wakes up in and around Hollywood every day -- to find a great new script that can be turned, with viurtually no effort beyond what is already on the page -- into "a major motion picture" that makes money. Despite technological breakthroughs and the bold suggestion in "The Player" that it should be done -- stories and the writers who create them are the shared currency of the industry and cannot be abolished or even ignored.
                The problem is that 99.9% oif what comes in is garbage. Dogsh**. Awful.
                Because of that fact, there is the "firewall": readers, assistants, "no unsolicited submission" policies, guns, you name it -- because of the never ending deluge os scripts, almost all horrendously bad (hopeless commercially).
                But the fact remains that virtually every agent, every manager, every studio exec, has the same hope every day -- to find the next big thing.
                Because of a dearth of real creativity, we as writers share the blame for the current reality.
                But you need to get over your delusion and utter stupidity to call them leeches. They make money only on commission -- by making a sale. And almost everything they see, read, deal with, pitch -- is pretty bad -- even from their pro clients.
                That's because creating the next Casablanca or Chinatown or Iron Man 1 is hard -- damn hard. But when it comes along, everybody in town wants it.
                If you think otherwise, you are just clueless, amigo.

Actually you're incorrect... it's is 99.99999% of the unsolicited and other screenplays that come in are pure dreck.
                Toilet water. Litter box liners.

The reason the system is there (good of bad) is to filter this junk out.
                I get lots of people handing me screenplays for a read, and you know what--it's junk!
                Reputable leeches (agents and managers) get their material read, because the people who get this stuff from these 'leeches' know that the cat litter has been sifted out.
                You do not get your phone calls returned or answered if you forward trash.

I have a friend (a producer) who has lots of Emmy's (sp?) lining his mantle--and he cannot get his phone calls answered anymore, because he is a terrible writer of original matieral. Terrible is a compliment... he is way below this level. So all of his bridges are burned when it comes to soliciting materials around town--and this guy knows some very, very well heeled folks.

This is what at play with the leeches (agents/writers)... they live by their reputations to weed out the trolls, retards, schucks, lurking neo-nazis and terrible writers. If one nut-case/terrible writer gets through and actually into a face-to-face, they are done. Sthick a fork in them.

This is why the system is as it is.
                There are tens of thousands of wanna'be's out there--and all of them think they have the shizzle, or that their 'lifes story' is equal to T.E. Lawrence, or that 'their screenplay' is the ultimate theater going experience.

Look, here's the reality of it all with unsolicited screenplays--this is a true story: Ten years ago I have to go to a meeting on the Disney lot and meet Mark Veradian (sp? --and who cares how it is spelled). So I get out of the parking structure and am greeted by the site of 6 or so dumpsters filled to the brim with screenplays. There is some schmuck there pulling out the brass brads, and putting them into an box for recycling or whatever. And he is emptying manila envelopes (unopened) with screenplays in each--then tossing the screenplays into the trash. Six dumpsters full of them. I ask him what this all is--and he tells me this is the unsolicited material they get in six months, and that they recycle the paper at 100 dollars a ton.

This was ten years ago. Imagine what it is like now with PDF files emailed at the stroke of a key?!!

This guy (the OP) was doo-dah lucky in getting some so-called A-list directors to even respond. Believe me this is not the case, and not how it usually works out.

With email--these people are spammed by the hundreds everyday with loglines, story premises and screenplay PDF's. It's like counting to a trillion--it can't be done in your life time (reading all this crap that is).

So if the OP can get him stuff through the backdoor--more power to him.

But believe me (to all you people out there reading this) --it don't work that way.

T
                Last edited by Takezo; 07-31-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Takezo View Post
                  ...But believe me (to all you people out there reading this) --it don't work that way...
                  I enjoyed this. You another Strangelove fan, by the way? Like DavidK?

Anyway, the OP and others may think the agents, and maybe managers too, who knows, are like the "headhunters" in my day industry (computers).

You know, "contact us and we'll send you so-and-so to write your program for $75 an hour".

But if the client hired me directly, they'd get me for $55.

So just what are these headhunters good for?

Well, I rarely work with them but they do have their fingers on the pulse of the business world. More importantly, they have the contacts, as the best of these agents seem to. Relationships.

Of course, we're talking about the good ones.

The stinkers are out there, and till we've made our own relationships, or gotten really lucky, it's a cesspool of dumpster-raiding, brad-stealing ba$tards, and we're on our own.

Comment

So the original poster sent 20 unsolicited sales pitches (in the real world they call that SPAM) to some folks he/she doesn't know.

And then throws a whiny rant when they don't respond.

Who's the leech again?

Comment

Two-Fingered,

Sent you a PM.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Script-Finished-Now-What-Scriptwriters/dp/1878355147

http://www.amazon.com/How-Agent-Your...0716390&sr=1-1

http://www.kullervo.com/The_Agents.html

http://www.kullervo.com/The_Twelve_Steps.html

4. Be Patient.

If you have nothing else, have patience. Do not make yourself, everyone around you, and Hollywood crazy. Remember the analogy to the psychic police force I mentioned above. No amount of energy, enthusiasm, or persistence would get any of those would-be officers through that door if they could not hear the message.

9. Try to Get Representation.

Let's say you are ready. You've written ten scripts. Rewritten ten scripts. Rewritten ten scripts again. You've done well in some contests. Taken classes. Your writing group thinks you're ready. A script consultant thinks you're ready.

Now I want you to try to get an agent. Go read the section about agents, managers, and lawyers. Do all the research you can. Do whatever you can to get a recommendation. Make a serious effort here. That doesn't mean you want to approach the giant agencies. Pursue the mid-size and boutique agencies. Same with management companies.

The odds are, of course, against you. But if you are a good writer, if you have written a truly commercial script, and you have conducted your search with skill and patience, I believe you should be able to find someone willing to work with you. They may only ask to see another script or stay in touch. They may offer to represent you informally. Or you may succeed and get signed. This is the time to try.

Don't go crazy. Don't send out five hundred Dear Agent letters. Again, patience. Don't treat your script and yourself like a couple of widgets to be shilled to the general public. Focus your search. Remember, they can smell desperation
                        If you really like it you can have the rights
                        It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

GreyGhost: You could not be more out of touch with reality. I know this because I used to work at Paramount, was a script analyst for two other major studios, was a national magazine film critic, was a manager and was close friends with a major agent for a long time. Those you dismiss as "leeches" have the same thing in common with everyone who wakes up in and around Hollywood every day -- to find a great new script that can be turned, with viurtually no effort beyond what is already on the page -- into "a major motion picture" that makes money. Despite technological breakthroughs and the bold suggestion in "The Player" that it should be done -- stories and the writers who create them are the shared currency of the industry and cannot be abolished or even ignored.
                          The problem is that 99.9% oif what comes in is garbage. Dogsh**. Awful.
                          Because of that fact, there is the "firewall": readers, assistants, "no unsolicited submission" policies, guns, you name it -- because of the never ending deluge os scripts, almost all horrendously bad (hopeless commercially).
                          But the fact remains that virtually every agent, every manager, every studio exec, has the same hope every day -- to find the next big thing.
                          Because of a dearth of real creativity, we as writers share the blame for the current reality.
                          But you need to get over your delusion and utter stupidity to call them leeches. They make money only on commission -- by making a sale. And almost everything they see, read, deal with, pitch -- is pretty bad -- even from their pro clients.
                          That's because creating the next Casablanca or Chinatown or Iron Man 1 is hard -- damn hard. But when it comes along, everybody in town wants it.
                          If you think otherwise, you are just clueless, amigo.

Actually you're incorrect... it's is 99.99999% of the unsolicited and other screenplays that come in are pure dreck.
                          Toilet water. Litter box liners.

The reason the system is there (good of bad) is to filter this junk out.
                          I get lots of people handing me screenplays for a read, and you know what--it's junk!
                          Reputable leeches (agents and managers) get their material read, because the people who get this stuff from these 'leeches' know that the cat litter has been sifted out.
                          You do not get your phone calls returned or answered if you forward trash.

I have a friend (a producer) who has lots of Emmy's (sp?) lining his mantle--and he cannot get his phone calls answered anymore, because he is a terrible writer of original matieral. Terrible is a compliment... he is way below this level. So all of his bridges are burned when it comes to soliciting materials around town--and this guy knows some very, very well heeled folks.

This is what at play with the leeches (agents/writers)... they live by their reputations to weed out the trolls, retards, schucks, lurking neo-nazis and terrible writers. If one nut-case/terrible writer gets through and actually into a face-to-face, they are done. Sthick a fork in them.

This is why the system is as it is.
                          There are tens of thousands of wanna'be's out there--and all of them think they have the shizzle, or that their 'lifes story' is equal to T.E. Lawrence, or that 'their screenplay' is the ultimate theater going experience.

Look, here's the reality of it all with unsolicited screenplays--this is a true story: Ten years ago I have to go to a meeting on the Disney lot and meet Mark Veradian (sp? --and who cares how it is spelled). So I get out of the parking structure and am greeted by the site of 6 or so dumpsters filled to the brim with screenplays. There is some schmuck there pulling out the brass brads, and putting them into an box for recycling or whatever. And he is emptying manila envelopes (unopened) with screenplays in each--then tossing the screenplays into the trash. Six dumpsters full of them. I ask him what this all is--and he tells me this is the unsolicited material they get in six months, and that they recycle the paper at 100 dollars a ton.

This was ten years ago. Imagine what it is like now with PDF files emailed at the stroke of a key?!!

This guy (the OP) was doo-dah lucky in getting some so-called A-list directors to even respond. Believe me this is not the case, and not how it usually works out.

With email--these people are spammed by the hundreds everyday with loglines, story premises and screenplay PDF's. It's like counting to a trillion--it can't be done in your life time (reading all this crap that is).

So if the OP can get him stuff through the backdoor--more power to him.

But believe me (to all you people out there reading this) --it don't work that way.

T

Uh lets see a dreck title they passed up amongst many until someone finally got COMMON sense in the film industry...oooh. "Gone With The Wind," yeah Hollywood always knows best. Most flicks these days are lucky if they break even, in fact many are today actually a lot of budgeted junk foisted on the viewing public to be perfectly honest and I honestly don't care what the backlash is in response to this posting. Poleeese, it is a hit and miss industry and bear in mind that a lot of this American authored "so-called" dreck runs circles around the CRAP this industry creates before they go and trumpet out the "pat themselves on the back" awards they call the golden globes and Oscars. There are many fine authors out their over 20, over 30, over 40, over 50, over 60 and they all have some great work. I honestly have confidence in many of my fellow peers both here and abroad to create some great flicks. Unfortunately, half the time the studios have flunkies reading stuff and pass on great story lines and plots. This has gone on since this industry started and it will continue to go on until it comes to a close. Just ask the "Gone With The Wind" script author Sidney Howard and the original author Margaret Mitchell what they went through and a lot of others too. Gone was rejected and turned down left and right before it became a flick and went on to become something great, same deal with Casablanca and other American classic stories for film. There is no formula, there is not a specific path, it will always be this way that the author has the material wanted at the right place and the right time.

By the way, talents are also judged by the new materials, not what they have done. In Hollywood as in the publishing industry, your reputation is only as great as your last sales, again common sense in a senseless world.

Comment

Uh lets see a dreck title they passed up amongst many until someone finally got COMMON sense in the film industry...oooh. "Gone With The Wind," yeah Hollywood always knows best. Most flicks these days are lucky if they break even, in fact many are today actually a lot of budgeted junk foisted on the viewing public to be perfectly honest and I honestly don't care what the backlash is in response to this posting. Poleeese, it is a hit and miss industry and bear in mind that a lot of this American authored "so-called" dreck runs circles around the CRAP this industry creates before they go and trumpet out the "pat themselves on the back" awards they call the golden globes and Oscars. There are many fine authors out their over 20, over 30, over 40, over 50, over 60 and they all have some great work. I honestly have confidence in many of my fellow peers both here and abroad to create some great flicks. Unfortunately, half the time the studios have flunkies reading stuff and pass on great story lines and plots. This has gone on since this industry started and it will continue to go on until it comes to a close. Just ask the "Gone With The Wind" script author Sidney Howard and the original author Margaret Mitchell what they went through and a lot of others too. Gone was rejected and turned down left and right before it became a flick and went on to become something great, same deal with Casablanca and other American classic stories for film. There is no formula, there is not a specific path, it will always be this way that the author has the material wanted at the right place and the right time.

By the way, talents are also judged by the new materials, not what they have done. In Hollywood as in the publishing industry, your reputation is only as great as your last sales, again common sense in a senseless world.

For the love of Christ--paragraphs!!
                            USE PARAGRAPHS!!

I'm gonna' call my lawyer and sue you for eye damage.

T

Comment

Originally posted by mpschunks View Post
                              "Gone With The Wind," yeah Hollywood always knows best.
                              Yes, use an example from 1939 to illustrate your point.

Comment

For the love of Christ--paragraphs!!
                                USE PARAGRAPHS!!

I'm gonna' call my lawyer and sue you for eye damage.

T
                                And I'm gonna sue you for not being able to user the 'quote' function properly.
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X