Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars

Do you think the reviews will affect Star Wars box office? Or is this thing going to gross 2 billion?

Some of the reviews are pretty scathing.

Re: Star Wars

I loathed TLJ and loved this one. Wondering if this will have more legs than TLJ even though it will open lower. My expectation is higher repeat and better word of mouth over the holiday break.

Comment

First it was Le Voyage Dans la Lun (A Trip to the Moon) by Georges Méliès (1902). Then it was Buck Rogers In The 25th Century (1935) followed by Flash Gordon (1936). Now it’s the Star Wars phantasmagoria films! Oh, you adorable Earthlings! Always going gaga over these science-fiction tchotchkes of your belovèd antiquated cinema!
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Messy. Felt like they tried to do way too much and at the same time didn't know exactly what they wanted to do. The second half of this movie was all over the place.

I think almost all of Disney's SW films have been poor, for a variety of reasons. If you step back and compare this one to ANH, which has an incredibly lean and clear narrative, it's muddled and unsure of what it's trying to say.

Comment

Historically, the third installments of the SW trilogies have lagged behind the first installments. Given the middling reviews for Ep. IX, I wouldn't expect the pattern to be broken this time

Comment

With online ticketing, why are fans still camping out for that movie? I would love to see the original trilogy in the theaters, but they only offer it in those 24 hour marathons in Hollywood. (No thanks).

I still want to see it do gangbusters box office because I want the franchise to continue. Maybe, they'll make a good one by accident. The Joker was amazing, after a string of bad DC comic book movies. There's bound to be a director (not named Lucas) that gets Star Wars right.

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
              Messy. Felt like they tried to do way too much and at the same time didn't know exactly what they wanted to do. The second half of this movie was all over the place.

I think almost all of Disney's SW films have been poor, for a variety of reasons. If you step back and compare this one to ANH, which has an incredibly lean and clear narrative, it's muddled and unsure of what it's trying to say.
              Yep. This trilogy has been one of my biggest movie disappointments. I saw The Force Awakens opening night and I was so god damned excited. I read absolutely nothing online about it so I could go in fresh and I even brought a notebook and pen in my pocket. I left feeling underwhelmed to say the least and we all know how the trilogy progressed.

Sucks because there was so much potential. There were a ton of possibilities and a ton of people who would have put their heart into the franchise but instead we got this soulless, rehashed, and incompetent crap. They can't redo it now either. They can do spin-offs and what not but the one chance for a good sequel trilogy is blown.

Joke's on me for having high expectations. Those who didn't care as much probably feel a lot better about all this.
              Last edited by DDoc; 12-21-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

They've been showing the prequels on TV. I remember hating them, but now I have a greater appreciation of the Attack of the Clones. Still problematic, but there are some exciting visual scenes like the chase through the city in the sky. George Lucas got some heat for the prequels, but he at least has a lot of imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                  They've been showing the prequels on TV. I remember hating them, but now I have a greater appreciation of the Attack of the Clones. Still problematic, but there are some exciting visual scenes like the chase through the city in the sky. George Lucas got some heat for the prequels, but he at least has a lot of imagination.
                  Agreed. I always considered AOTC to be the best and most original of the prequels, and I suspect that some of its bad reviews were critics overcompensating for being too kind to TPM, which really was quite awful (except for Darth Maul). In fact, I consider AOTC to be a better film than ROTJ, which was the original Star Wars disappointment.

AOTC created compelling new environments (the cloners' storm world), intriguing mysteries (which were, unfortunately, inadequately paid off in future films -- such as who "Sifo-Dyas" was and how the clone army happened to be ready in time), clever visual business (C3PO swapping heads with an attack droid, indicating how both sides of the war were interchangeable pawns in someone's grander chess game), and much else. Darth Tyrannus was an intriguing new kind of aristocratic villain, not a Jedi but not entirely a Sith either.

Altogether one had the appealing sense that more was going on than the viewer was allowed to know ("Wait -- Dooku is telling Kenobi the truth about Sidious…but he doesn't believe him!"). As a whole, the film probably had more moral ambiguity than any other Star Wars outing (which is a good thing). Even the execrable Jar Jar was put to good plot use, since it turned out that his naivete enabled Palpatine to manipulate him and gain control -- a fine caution against granting power to naive imbeciles. The only thing I really hated was turning Yoda into a jumping frog, along with some of the random coliseum business. But as an overall film experience, I'd rank it third, behind New Hope and Empire -- and those are the only three SW films that I ever have any interest in re-watching.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                    Agreed. I always considered AOTC to be the best and most original of the prequels, and I suspect that some of its bad reviews were critics overcompensating for being too kind to TPM, which really was quite awful (except for Darth Maul). In fact, I consider AOTC to be a better film than ROTJ, which was the original Star Wars disappointment.

AOTC created compelling new environments (the cloners' storm world), intriguing mysteries (which were, unfortunately, inadequately paid off in future films -- such as who "Sifo-Dyas" was and how the clone army happened to be ready in time), clever visual business (C3PO swapping heads with an attack droid, indicating how both sides of the war were interchangeable pawns in someone's grander chess game), and much else. Darth Tyrannus was an intriguing new kind of aristocratic villain, not a Jedi but not entirely a Sith either.

Altogether one had the appealing sense that more was going on than the viewer was allowed to know ("Wait -- Dooku is telling Kenobi the truth about Sidious...but he doesn't believe him!"). As a whole, the film probably had more moral ambiguity than any other Star Wars outing (which is a good thing). Even the execrable Jar Jar was put to good plot use, since it turned out that his naivete enabled Palpatine to manipulate him and gain control -- a fine caution against granting power to naive imbeciles. The only thing I really hated was turning Yoda into a jumping frog, along with some of the random coliseum business. But as an overall film experience, I'd rank it third, behind New Hope and Empire -- and those are the only three SW films that I ever have any interest in re-watching.

Return of the Jedi is actually my second favorite. It was great for me start to finish. Jaba Da Hut down to that exciting dilemma Darth had between being obedient to the Emperor or to save his son. But, I get your point.

Even if his fails, George Lucas is bursting with imagination. The Phantom Menace probably colored my view of the Attack of the Clones as I went in there already jaded. I really hate watching action films centered on a 10 year old. But, it actually had a pretty interesting theme. Attack of the Clones did take me out of it when they were just fighting a bunch of faceless clones. It was more interesting when it was personal. What I didn't get was Yoda can fly around fighting like Bruce Lee, but then resumes walking on a cane like he's hobbled? Cool scene, but I had wondered that.

Comment

With all the mixed reviews, I wasn't expecting much. But, I liked this way more than the Force Awakens. Saw it in 3D and it was visually stunning. (spoilers) I liked the revelation of Rey's parents. Made it more interesting. I didn't find it muddled at all. Pretty simple story and easy to follow. The most important thing is that it wasn't a beat for beat remake of Stars that the Force Awakens was. I felt like I could enjoy it without quite knowing where it's going to go.

Regardless of how you feel about this movie, I am going to miss having a Star Wars movie every year. It kind of reminded me of how much I love this franchise. Even the films that don't hit the mark. I just can't watch these films on TV. I need to see them on the big screen, with the best possible luxury seats.

Comment

Hoo-boy. The plot, such as it is, felt like when I used to play with my Star Wars figures and was just making it up as I went along and then something really crazy would happen that made no sense and then everything would blow up in the end. But it's kind of the corner they painted themselves into with the first two so, sure go with that I guess. When I saw the first Star Wars in summer of 1977 I left the theater transformed. Now I just leave like I survived.

Comment

Working...
                        X