Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimism: This is the best time ever to be a screenwriter

For those who are already pros, these current disputes will blow over soon. Deals will get done. These are natural hiccups during any relationship/marriage.

Let's think big picture.

The world is consuming more media than ever. Some people say "well, gone are the days when you could get 2 million for a spec." Maybe. But there are so many more opportunities.

Everyone seems to be coming out with their own streaming services.

Apple is set to spend 6 billion or so on original content. That's insane.

Netflix is starting to make their own films.

The Chinese are starting to invest a lot more into filmmaking as well (even English films).

There is Bollywood too which has exploded in the last decade.

Lots of international partnerships happening behind the scenes.

There are more screenwriters now than ever, so the competition is stiffer, but everything worth pursuing in life is hard. And the harder it is, the greater the reward usually.

Lots of people try, fail, fail again and again, until they drop out of the race. Don't let that be you!

Most importantly, never make excuses! You are responsible for your own destiny!

Re: Optimism: This is the best time ever to be a screenwriter

Let me fix your title for you.

THIS IS THE BEST TIME EVER TO BE A PRO WORKING SCREENWRITING WHO IS ALREADY BIG TIME AND CAN KEEP MAKING MONEY MONEY MONEY

For the rest of us, it's even worse than before!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      Let me fix your title for you.

THIS IS THE BEST TIME EVER TO BE A PRO WORKING SCREENWRITING WHO IS ALREADY BIG TIME AND CAN KEEP MAKING MONEY MONEY MONEY

For the rest of us, it's even worse than before!
      Na man! You're looking at it wrong! Increased demand = increased supply. How many "big time pro screenwriters are there?" They don't have time to fullfill this market. The best chefs in the world can't feed everyone bro!

Thousands of new shows and movies are being released every year across the world. Some of those figures they post online are straight bullshit! Don't believe them. That's not even counting the scripts that get bought and shoved in a drawer!

The industry is at its peak right now.

NO EXCUSES! Keep going Bono!! There is light at the end of what you believe to be this darkness! Embrace the journey.

Comment

Your last line sounds like one of my lyrics!

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
          Na man! You're looking at it wrong! Increased demand = increased supply. How many "big time pro screenwriters are there?" They don't have time to fullfill this market. The best chefs in the world can't feed everyone bro!

Thousands of new shows and movies are being released every year across the world. Some of those figures they post online are straight bullshit! Don't believe them. That's not even counting the scripts that get bought and shoved in a drawer!

The industry is at its peak right now.

NO EXCUSES! Keep going Bono!! There is light at the end of what you believe to be this darkness! Embrace the journey.
          I'd love to believe you are right!
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

This is what I don't quite get. Between Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple, broadcast networks, major studios, HBO, Showtime, etc., they should be buying thousands of screenplays and pilots a year, just to develop what ends up on air.

I should be able to query my script and if it's coherent, someone buys it for $20k or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by megablahblah View Post
              This is what I don't quite get. Between Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple, broadcast networks, major studios, HBO, Showtime, etc., they should be buying thousands of screenplays and pilots a year, just to develop what ends up on air.

I should be able to query my script and if it's coherent, someone buys it for $20k or whatever.
              one, these companies are all WGA signatories so they can't just buy Joe Dokes' spec pilot for $20k.

two, the streamer/cable model is now largely to buy a full season of a new show for airing. they don't do "pilot season" in the same way as networks.

the amount of scripted shows airing across all platforms has basically doubled in the last decade (from roughly 250 to nearly 500 today). that's the good news. but really that increase in demand is mostly in pre-existing IP based stuff and then also having a take on that material by an established showrunner. that's the "bad" news, if you're not an established showrunner with IP to package up for Netflix etc.

it's always been the best of times, the worst of times in Hollywood for getting anything made at any level

Comment

I may be wrong but I feel like it will be a good time for original ideas in the near future. I think a lot of these "foolproof" IP movie ideas will start losing money because people are getting bored.

Comment

I agree that there is more content than ever, ergo there is theoretically more of a need for writers than ever (the other night I was thinking that it would be really really interesting if someone did the math and figured out how many scripted shows air in the U.S. on any given week --I bet it's freaking mind-boggling).

I also think this whole thing is going to implode, because now everybody wants a piece of the streaming pie, but I'm not sure how many slices consumers are prepared to buy.

Personally, I don't have TV, I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and that's enough for me and it's the most I'm prepared to spend. If the shows/flicks I want to watch are going to be spread out across a bunch of different platforms from now on, well then I'll just cancel NF and stick with Amazon, where at least you can rent something for a few bucks a pop whether you're a subscriber or not.

Also, since Red Box is now streaming, that could be stiff competition. Two bucks for new releases (or thereabouts).

Comment

Working...
                  X