Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Camino - anyone else underwhelmed?

Just watched El Camino last night. Loved Breaking Bad, much respect for Vince Gilligan, and enjoy the Jesse Pinkman character a lot.

It was mildly entertaining but felt like it never really got airborne. My 18 y.o. son thought similarly (he loved BB). Anybody else have that reaction?

Some good moments (Badger and Skinny Pete scenes were hilarious as usual), but overall really flat. Seemed like it was all about the "plot" with very little character development or even new insights into Jesse. Aaron Paul did a fine job, it just seemed like the writing was not very strong.

Surprised Gilligan wasn't able to do more with this project, since I'm sure he had total control of all aspects and whatever budget he needed from NF. Just seems like the screenplay wasn't up to par. I guess that's the problem when you create a series like BB--the bar gets set so high it's hard to return to that level.

But from a writer's perspective, it just seemed like he focused a lot more on plot mechanics and a lot less on the interpersonal and character stuff that made BB so engaging and memorable. Felt like he wasn't "swinging for the fences" on this.

Makes me wonder if maybe he got offered a big pile of $$ to do this project but maybe wasn't fired up with creative inspiration.

The "wild west gunfighter" scene was almost cringe-worthy--the scene setup was strong, there was a lot of tension built up, but then it turned into this odd Sergio Leone moment that felt out of place.

Maybe I should go get caught up on Better Call Saul--I watched the first season and enjoyed some of it, maybe there's more gold there. I think Gilligan can be brilliant when he's on his game.

Re: El Camino - anyone else underwhelmed?

I haven't watched the whole thing. I was a big BB fan, saw every episode multiple times. So I am in the target audience for this one.

I just looked at where I stopped watching. 43 minutes in -- it feels flat. Lacks the propulsive conflict of BB. I'll finish it, but if this had been done with the same story force as the TV show, I would have never decided to go to sleep and finish it later.

Comment

Yes, I was disappointed. Felt unnecessary. Some of the (many) negatives:

* Long opening that cuts back and forth in time relentlessly for no reason.
      * Jesse's character spends most of the movie staring into space, squinting. Very little drive or personality.
      * Plot arc is very small. The film barely goes from point A to point B.
      * Just about every show character underutilized.
      * New characters not interesting.

Etc. I love the show, but this was for ultra-fans only.

Comment

I don't disagree with any of this except the duel bit. I liked it and thought it fit the tone of the show.

Comment

I liked it a lot. It's a nostalgic victory lap for people who loved the show.

Not a great standalone movie, but it closed Jesse's story in a more conclusive way and did nothing to diminish the show's legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Geis View Post
            Maybe I should go get caught up on Better Call Saul--I watched the first season and enjoyed some of it, maybe there's more gold there. I think Gilligan can be brilliant when he's on his game.
            Only just saw this comment. I highly recommend. Seasons 2 and 3 are masterworks in my opinion. At times besting Breaking Bad. Season 4 was a big step back imo though.

Comment

Working...
            X