How do you know it's time to fire your manager? (first manager)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know it's time to fire your manager? (first manager)

Last year, I signed with my first literary manager. Things started off great. There was a lot of excitement, a lot of promises were being made, and my praises were constantly being sung. At some point, things changed. The script that was loved so much (that got me signed!) all of a sudden fell out of favor, then a deal fell through, then meetings got cancelled (at a freakin' major studio, no less!) I'm constantly feeling like the guy's just not giving it to me straight, even when I ask him to. Even pinning him down for a call these days seems like a chore. I thought for a while that it was something I was doing wrong, but I'm starting to think it might be him. Maybe he's got too much on his plate or maybe he's a perfectionist and is just never satisfied, I don't know. It's been incredibly frustrating, especially since I moved to L.A. (shortly after signing) to make the most of this opportunity.

The tough part is, at this point in time in my career, I don't have other options. I'm still new within the industry. I can't just fire this guy and line up meetings, it was hard enough to get this one. What do you guys think I should do? Ride it out? A friend of mine suggested that I was being "tested- which sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What would I be tested for? To see if I lose my cool? I won't.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Re: How do you know it's time to fire your manager? (first manager)

Plenty of thoughts, but when you need to post this, usually it's time to fire your manager. I've been there. Sounds like my last one.

However, since crap is so messed up in Hollywood with agents right now and managers overworked (not taking on clients), I wouldn't fire the manager.

I would fire them in my head, I did that with last one, and I just got more aggressive and direct and meaner to him because I didn't care if he said "f you" and quit on me first.

"You're not calling me back, let's set up a time during the week to chat."

"Why is script X not being shopped any more?"

"I don't know if anything has changed, but I'm feeling like our relationship isn't clear right now. Are we still in this fight together?"

That's what I did and for like a month or two got guy to do some stuff for us out of guilt... but eventually we had to fire him. sucks when you're just starting out or haven't "made it" so you can't easily get a new rep.

But in these times, I think may help you to stay even if you just do your own thing and only use him or her when you need them.

And I meant to say first, this is not unique. You're not alone. Don't feel that way. Most writers I know have been treated like this. It's very flustering. You did nothing wrong. Most of the time it's because the guy doesn't want to give you bad news or he's only trying 10% to sell your stuff, while focus on pushing his bigger clients.

And they fall in love with your script, try to sell it, don't and they are like "who are you again?" Make sense. You have this great product. They love you. They can't sell it and they are like what else you got? It's so depressing. I haven't met the rep myself who is like "I'm standing by you" --- it's goes from WE LOVE YOU to silence and annoyance. It SUCKS.

Comment

are you working on new material? do you have more scripts? have you been on twitter to connect with other writers to help push your material? do you have a website?

follow the hashtag #WGAMiixer there's one for the east coast and one for the west coast. WGA and non-WGA writers are connecting in a way to form solidarity with other writers. they get together in LA for drinks and to connect. with other writers. they're helping each other get staffed, helping writer's get read by showrunners.

you need to have this conversation with your manager or you need to let him go and find a new one. you need to find producers to ask him to send your work to. you need to advocate for yourself. i know you said it's hard to talk to him, but here's the thing, he works for you. you have a right to understand what happened, and what's going on. is there another writer that the manager has that's competing against you for the same jobs or opportunities. just ask him honestly.

hopefully he will be honest with you.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. I’m going to see how things play out in the next couple of weeks before making any rash decisions. I’m not produced and I just moved to LA so I don’t have much of a network. Really, I feel like I’m on an island sometimes. My manager was supposed to be my guide through the forest, but it feels like he’s ditched me..hopefully he comes back to save my ass! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Harper23 View Post
          hopefully he comes back to save my ass! Haha
          Unfortunately, this will likely not be the case. It's smart to wait a few weeks (or longer) to see how things shake out with the ATA battle, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that this guy is going to suddenly do a 180 and be all stoked about you again. He has likely moved on, but doesn't want to say anything because nobody in this business likes to be the bearer of bad news. So your best bet is to keep working on the next one while plotting and planning your next move. You're in LA, so that's a good thing. Hit up networking events, talk to fellow writers, join a writers group, and do non-industry meetups or hang out with peeps from work. Try to build your network for when you're ready to take out your next script and ask for a referral, which is really the best way to find a new rep. (Entering one of the contests like Launch Pad--which has just opened for feature entries--or Trackingb will also help, because if you're a finalist you'll definitely get read by some prominent managers.)

Comment

If t'were me (which t'isnt), I would begin looking for a new manager while continuing to work with this one. Then, when you find a manager that you feel will work not just FOR you but WITH you, THEN drop the turd and jump-ship to your new representative.

But that's just me. And I'm still lookin'.

Comment

I’m in a similar situation as you. I’m unproduced and on my first manager. I’m mostly happy but also recognize that even if I wanted to, I probably couldn’t find a new manager right now who’d want to take me on.

I’d say definitely hold off on firing your manager until you know you’re in a place where you can more easily get a new one. Because of the WGA standoff the management companies are working overtime and are being really picky about what new clients they take on.

Comment

Wait a couple of weeks and have a straightforward "Are you still interested in repping me?" conversation. I felt the same way about my first agent; things started off hot and then cooled, and after a brutal 2 years of minimal opportunities, I called and asked "Have we run our course together?" He said yes. Inside I was screaming "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS AGES AGO??" but I already knew the answer - it costs them nothing to just sit around and wait for you to write something brilliant.

My situation was slightly different because I was somewhat established by that point and found a new agent who turned my career around. But if I hadn't made that call, I'd still be wringing my hands over why my rep wasn't doing anything. Better to know.
                https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Working...
                X