Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe-based American writer

Hey, first time posting. I'm an American writer based in Europe. I have an agent for the Europe market but wanted advice on finding a manager or agent in LA for US projects. I'll be in LA for a couple of weeks next month and thought it would be a good opportunity to see if I can set up meetings. I'm a produced writer and currently have a TV series in development over here.

Any advice on who to seek out? Do many managers/agents in LA represent foreign-based American writers? I'm assuming the manager route might be better? Thanks!

Re: Europe-based American writer

I'm also an American screenwriter and novelist who lived for several years in England back in the late 70s and 80s. On the basis of a spec teleplay, I was signed by an agent in London, who submitted my work--both for TV and cinema, though back then the British film industry was only just beginning to come out of its doldrums--primarily to the BBC (2 channels) and ITV--one channel, and then eventually supplemented by Channel 4. When my first novel was published there and was optioned by a London-based prodco who'd just wrapped the first feature ("Lamb," starring this young unknown guy named Liam Neeson), we signed a contract for me to adapt it.

What's more pertinent to your question is that this agent was then able to hook me up with a London literary agent for my books, who had an associated agent based in NY who eventually sold four of my books to US publishers. But most film agents there have associated agency and management connections in the US. So he or she may be able to refer you either to someone they work with in the US or suggest someone for you to contact. But on the basis of what you say and what you've achieved, I should think you'd have little difficulty in garnering interest here in the States.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurowriter View Post
      Hey, first time posting. I'm an American writer based in Europe. I have an agent for the Europe market but wanted advice on finding a manager or agent in LA for US projects. I'll be in LA for a couple of weeks next month and thought it would be a good opportunity to see if I can set up meetings. I'm a produced writer and currently have a TV series in development over here.

Any advice on who to seek out? Do many managers/agents in LA represent foreign-based American writers? I'm assuming the manager route might be better? Thanks!
      Which European country are you based in? And are the writing credits/tv show in English? Reason I ask is that a lot of European writers appear to move sideways and hook up with British agents first, who then hook them up with US managers and/or US agents further along. The UK market is smaller and yet still has international appeal so it makes sense. You only need look at some the big British agencies in London ITG, United Agents, Curtis Brown, Cassarotto etc to see this. My own UK agents rep a ton of Euro based talent. Unless of course said talent becomes a household name in the country they're based in and then the big American reps tend to find them for themselves. I have American managers and American agents. (Costs me a frickin' fortune!) The Managers I found myself, the US agents were set up via my UK team. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
        I'm also an American screenwriter and novelist who lived for several years in England back in the late 70s and 80s. On the basis of a spec teleplay, I was signed by an agent in London, who submitted my work--both for TV and cinema, though back then the British film industry was only just beginning to come out of its doldrums--primarily to the BBC (2 channels) and ITV--one channel, and then eventually supplemented by Channel 4. When my first novel was published there and was optioned by a London-based prodco who'd just wrapped the first feature ("Lamb," starring this young unknown guy named Liam Neeson), we signed a contract for me to adapt it.

What's more pertinent to your question is that this agent was then able to hook me up with a London literary agent for my books, who had an associated agent based in NY who eventually sold four of my books to US publishers. But most film agents there have associated agency and management connections in the US. So he or she may be able to refer you either to someone they work with in the US or suggest someone for you to contact. But on the basis of what you say and what you've achieved, I should think you'd have little difficulty in garnering interest here in the States.
        Jake, thank you for your reply. I'm actually thinking the London route might be better to consider as, like you said, they have so many US connections. It's also easier to take a meeting in London than LA. It looks like I'm going to part ways with my current agency because they're not really well enough connected for English-speaking writers so I feel losing out on valuable opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
          Which European country are you based in? And are the writing credits/tv show in English? Reason I ask is that a lot of European writers appear to move sideways and hook up with British agents first, who then hook them up with US managers and/or US agents further along. The UK market is smaller and yet still has international appeal so it makes sense. You only need look at some the big British agencies in London ITG, United Agents, Curtis Brown, Cassarotto etc to see this. My own UK agents rep a ton of Euro based talent. Unless of course said talent becomes a household name in the country they're based in and then the big American reps tend to find them for themselves. I have American managers and American agents. (Costs me a frickin' fortune!) The Managers I found myself, the US agents were set up via my UK team. Hope that helps.
          Hey Mintclub, I'm based in Germany but the projects are in English, so I don't think I'll be a household name here any time soon . I didn't see your reply as I was replying to Jake regarding the British agencies. So thanks for your message as well. That really helps. I know a couple of UK writers so I'll see if I can get some connections through them while I look on my own as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurowriter View Post
            Jake, thank you for your reply. I'm actually thinking the London route might be better to consider as, like you said, they have so many US connections. It's also easier to take a meeting in London than LA. It looks like I'm going to part ways with my current agency because they're not really well enough connected for English-speaking writers so I feel losing out on valuable opportunities.
            You're most welcome, and I have to agree with your strategy. When I first arrived in London, in 1977, I had a teleplay and a (not-very-good) 3-act stage play. I queried several top agents in London, all agreed to read (including Joe Orton's famous agent, Peggy Ramsay), and a few weeks later Margery Vosper Ltd. brought me on as a client. She'd been an agent since 1931 and had handled writers such as Brecht and John Osborne, and she worked for me enthusiastically until her death, after which her partner took me on until her retirement.

They always had good US connections, as, these days, all agencies in the UK do, so I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavors!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post

They always had good US connections, as, these days, all agencies in the UK do, so I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavors!
              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X