This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Interim Solution to Protecting Author's Rights

Actually, I wasn't going to add to this because I've been clear about how I feel about this whole thing in the SS thread, but...

I wrote my script as a novel first. Unpublished. I basically HAVE the very model umo is proposing. When I optioned my script, the novel was off-limits (even though it's done and dusted in my heart). My producer wasn't interested in it anyway.

Yes, I can still sell my novel (if it weren't dreck), and yes, I can show it to people if I want to, but technically, I could also show my script (which isn't dreck) to other producers as a writing sample anyway. I just chose not to (even when requested by another producer) because I didn't want to rock the boat. As I'd mentioned before, my producer was particularly nervous about lots of people reading my script but while I wasn't legally obligated to keep the script to myself (only legally obligated not to SELL it to anyone else), I felt it wasn't worth the risk at the time. I wanted to get my film made first and foremost.

Thing is, it's my script. I chose NOT to show it around while in development. I chose to keep it to myself because I had a producer keen to make it. That's my right, goddamn it! I wrote the damn thing!

Now... my producer doesn't want to renew the option. Bad, huh? Not so much. NO ONE ELSE HAS SEEN THIS SCRIPT. It's a brand new baby ready to launch onto the world - which my agent is in the process of doing as we speak.

It's my story and I should be able to choose who reads it and when. Having someone review it online would have pretty much killed this one card I had up my sleeve - its newness.

Thing is, having extra protection of copyright does nothing if websites are going to disregard the laws that already protect copyright now. Adding more rules they can break does sweet FA.

But umo - there is a problem with the system. And testing out ideas and options is a great way to work through it and possibly change it. I'm a big fan of thinking outside the rules. And talking. Talking is good.

It's when action is taken and innocent parties go down with the ship that I object. By all means, test out an idea, but please don't do it with my story, OK? (This is aimed at Carson, not umo, btw.)

Nic
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Comment

For those who were wondering: http://www.weetbix.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
        For those who were wondering: http://www.weetbix.com.au/
        Glad you're back.
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

Me too.

Comment

The next time I feel my life does not contain enough pain for me to qualify as a legitimate, tortured writer, I'll read this thread --full on migraine guaranteed.

Wow. Just... wow.

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
              It's my story and I should be able to choose who reads it and when. Having someone review it online would have pretty much killed this one card I had up my sleeve - its newness.

Thing is, having extra protection of copyright does nothing if websites are going to disregard the laws that already protect copyright now. Adding more rules they can break does sweet FA.

But umo - there is a problem with the system. And testing out ideas and options is a great way to work through it and possibly change it. I'm a big fan of thinking outside the rules. And talking. Talking is good.

It's when action is taken and innocent parties go down with the ship that I object. By all means, test out an idea, but please don't do it with my story, OK? (This is aimed at Carson, not umo, btw.)

Nic
              Thanks for chiming in, nic. You're a brave woman. Hopefully, the copyright police won't pull you over.

Here's my point on SS: If we own the work, then we're entitled to negotiate a deal, threaten a law suit, consult an attorney, send a Cease & Desist letter, ask him for compensation, etc..

As it stands, we've got a bunch of writers whining over something they cannot control because they don't own the rights to their work.

It's time to grow up and at least make an effort to study ways in which we can protect ourselves. The problem isn't going away. No doubt there are some great ideas floating in the minds of some DD members, but after watching these bullying tactics, these gifted individuals probably won't participate in the debate. A shame, to say the least.

And this is why we're in the fix we're in.
              Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                The next time I feel my life does not contain enough pain for me to qualify as a legitimate, tortured writer, I'll read this thread --full on migraine guaranteed.

Wow. Just... wow.
                This is nothing, Rantan...you should see what a board meeting full of suits looks like. Brutal.
                Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

This is going around in circles. Umo started the thread and got the last word in. Looks like a good place to close it.

Comment

Working...
                  X