No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Querying and getting "creepy"?

Hi all,

I'm being a good screenwriter (honest ) and doing some research on who would be best to query for a script.

Thanks to the internet- twitter, interviews etc., I have found some information that may increase my chances of a script request. That information I would consider is not too personal but more along the lines of hobbies and interest.

Is it okay to mention it such as, 'Hi... I read that you like... and I have a script based on that..."? Or do agents/managers/produc. find that a little creepy and consider it as crossing the line/being unprofessional?

Thanks.

Re: Querying and getting "creepy"?

if it's not business related, i'd say no. Touching on personal stuff will only get you blacklisted. The bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by discrazy View Post
      Hi all,

I'm being a good screenwriter (honest ) and doing some research on who would be best to query for a script.

Thanks to the internet- twitter, interviews etc., I have found some information that may increase my chances of a script request. That information I would consider is not too personal but more along the lines of hobbies and interest.

Is it okay to mention it such as, 'Hi... I read that you like... and I have a script based on that..."? Or do agents/managers/produc. find that a little creepy and consider it as crossing the line/being unprofessional?

Thanks.
      There's nothing wrong with including information that you think might develop a more personal rapport with the intended recipient. That said, I'd recommend using common sense when determining what kinds of information that entails. It's one thing to say, "By the way, I really enjoyed the Q&A you did on Ain't It Cool News last week," and an entirely other thing to say, "So I saw the family pics you posted from your trip to Yellowstone last summer. I've always loved Yellowstone." Use your best judgment to decide whether the info you found out was meant for colleagues, clients, the public, etc., or if it seems to have been intended for more personal connections.

In this information age where you can get a ton of detail about someone through social media and other online research, I think the safe line is drawn at what they've done in a public and/or professional capacity. I'd hold off on mentioning that you found out on Facebook that their favorite band is Coldplay, or that you both love French Bulldogs, or that you both played football in high school. But if it's something that was clearly presented in a professional capacity or intended for public consumption, I think that's far less creepy than drawing parallels with something that could be considered semi-private or personal (even if it was out there for you to find).

Comment

Agreeing to what SoCalScribe says.

I think if it's something along the lines of "I read in the Variety interview that you are an avid golfer and my script is about golf" or "When I read that in the latest Hollywood Reporter's 35 under 35 that you vacation to Iceland, I thought my script that takes place there might be of interest to you..."

That being said, these people will give your query letter about 3 second glance. So get to the point quickly.

Comment

Just to reinforce what SoCal and Hamboogul said - make it relevant from a business perspective but don't be personal or familiar, it's really irritating and alienating and sends out 'keep away' signals. And it's absolutely correct that you have to get to the point real fast.
          "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

All of the above is good solid advice.

I have a few assistant friends who often read queries for managers/agents etc., sometimes the assistants themselves get query letters. They joke all the time about the insanely creepy things people mention. Don't say ANYTHING personal from facebook (or query via facebook).
            Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

The way you're presenting doesn't sound creepy to me.

On the other hand, why do you need to mention it?

If you know the guy likes tennis, wouldn't you just start off with your logline that tells him it's a script about tennis? What advantage does it get you to say, "Hey, I hear you like tennis. Here is a script about tennis." vs. "Here is a script about tennis." He knows he like tennis. Who cares if you know that?

You've done the research and are targeting his interests.

I mean, like I said, doesn't seem like it would hurt to mention but not sure why you would.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Originally posted by slupo View Post
                The way you're presenting doesn't sound creepy to me.

On the other hand, why do you need to mention it?

If you know the guy likes tennis, wouldn't you just start off with your logline that tells him it's a script about tennis? What advantage does it get you to say, "Hey, I hear you like tennis. Here is a script about tennis." vs. "Here is a script about tennis." He knows he like tennis. Who cares if you know that?

You've done the research and are targeting his interests.

I mean, like I said, doesn't seem like it would hurt to mention but not sure why you would.
                Thanks slupo. This pretty much answers my question right on. Thought it would have been more of an incentive but you're right, why be redundant?

Comment

Working...
                X