No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bluecat - Another complaint

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
    I entered Bluecat once, a couple years ago, I think. Got my "feedback". One loved it, the other hated it. And neither set of notes helped me out.
    I had a similar, yet opposite experience. I entered a few years back as well. One reader loved my script, the other hated it and both sets of notes helped me out tremendously and made my story better!

Comment

My only remark is that I am calling dibs on "Gas Station Coffee" for my new screen name if I ever drop ComicBent.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Sometimes gas station coffee is pretty good. You never know.
        www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
        http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

My experience with bluecat is somewhat suspect. From the two feedbacks I received, one seemed to REALLY like the script and the other one seemed offended by the main female character. Funny enough, the same script was read by several women, in coverage services, none of which had similar complaints. I didn't even make it into the quarterfinals in bluecat yet the exact same script was a semifinalist (top 100 out of nearly 4000!) in scriptapalooza. Go figure. Probably done with bluecat moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinYayWriting View Post
            My experience with bluecat is somewhat suspect. From the two feedbacks I received, one seemed to REALLY like the script and the other one seemed offended by the main female character. Funny enough, the same script was read by several women, in coverage services, none of which had similar complaints. I didn't even make it into the quarterfinals in bluecat yet the exact same script was a semifinalist (top 100 out of nearly 4000!) in scriptapalooza. Go figure. Probably done with bluecat moving forward.
            I'm not entering this year. After two years of questionable feedback, I've learned my lesson. The comment excerpts I got from Nicholl as a QF were more valuable than the more detailed feedback I got from Bluecat.

I think screenwriters often forget two things: 1) There are several reputable screenwriting contests out there to choose from (with Bluecat being lower on the totem pole in terms of status and success stories), and 2) Because of this, we can be selective about which competitions we enter, and should make an informed choice about where to spend our hard-earned dollars.
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

It's funny that people complain about BlueCat's feedback, and claim it isn't helpful, but will spend the same entry fee on contests that offer no feedback.

On top of that, they expect BlueCat to respond to every complaint people have about the coverage, like they have time to do that.

The feedback you get from BlueCat is a bonus. It's a gift - a little evidence that someone actually read the entire screenplay instead of just abandoned it on page five because you used a camera angle.

That's probably one of the big reasons, they cut it back to one feedback from two. Because people complained too much that the coverages didn't match up.

Comment

Originally posted by jariax View Post
                It's funny that people complain about BlueCat's feedback, and claim it isn't helpful, but will spend the same entry fee on contests that offer no feedback.

On top of that, they expect BlueCat to respond to every complaint people have about the coverage, like they have time to do that.

The feedback you get from BlueCat is a bonus. It's a gift - a little evidence that someone actually read the entire screenplay instead of just abandoned it on page five because you used a camera angle.

That's probably one of the big reasons, they cut it back to one feedback from two. Because people complained too much that the coverages didn't match up.
                Isn't the written feedback the basis of how Bluecat scores scripts and determines the top 10%/quarterfinalists and up? If so, then the feedback is a part of the process of how the competition is run. And if the quality of the feedback is poor, it reflects poorly on how the competition is run. The organizers provide a beneficial service by making the feedback available, but they also open themselves up to criticism.
                "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Working...
                X