Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question but...

What is better when writing the slug of a vehicle where you will be moving in and out, INT/ EXT. or I/E. I have seen both...

Re: Dumb question but...

Does the convertible top keep going up and down?

If you saw both, which worked better for you? it doesn't really matter.

Technically, when you are EXT the CAR you are really EXT. ROAD (or DRIVEWAY or PARKING LOT). But nobody cares anymore.
    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Thanks! It is a story that takes place a great deal in a vehicle, and I am writing it for a director who intends to shoot it soon, so it is mostly just me being obsessive, but was also just curious, as a former script reader I've seen both employed...

Comment

Originally posted by LRic54 View Post
        Thanks! It is a story that takes place a great deal in a vehicle, and I am writing it for a director who intends to shoot it soon, so it is mostly just me being obsessive, but was also just curious, as a former script reader I've seen both employed...
        For what it's worth, I always do "INT./EXT." but the reality is, what it's actually going to be really depends on production.

Are they really going to take the car out on a road somewhere and tow it behind a camera car and put cameras outside and inside? Or are they going to shoot some of the shots on a highway and then do other shots on a stage with a green screen?

Who knows?

Generally, the rule I've always follows is that when you're inside a closed car (that is, "not" an open convertible) then it's INT.

If you're outside of the, wherever the car may be, that's EXT.

So if the nature of the scene requires the view to move continuously back and forth between the exterior and interior of the car, I'd use it.

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
          Does the convertible top keep going up and down?

If you saw both, which worked better for you? it doesn't really matter.

Technically, when you are EXT the CAR you are really EXT. ROAD (or DRIVEWAY or PARKING LOT). But nobody cares anymore.
          This is spot on. In the coverage I do, I've seen a million variations. I list outright errors when I spot them, but it's far down on my list of priorities.

The only thing that is really bad (and I've seen this twice this past year) is when someone constantly redoes the entire scene header as we rapidly go in and out of a vehicle.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

Working...
          X