Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Strike!! But what happens after?

There's no need to be patronising. I think I've got a rough idea of what deadwood is. I just think it's absurd to suggest that it's the cause of this strike.

Comment

Originally posted by maralyn View Post
      There's no need to be patronising. I think I've got a rough idea of what deadwood is. I just think it's absurd to suggest that it's the cause of this strike.
      It's not THE cause, it's A cause. There are a number of factors in play and one of them (thought it is one of the less important) is the opportunity to cancel production deals with deadwood producers and writers.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe79
        I mean, if you're making millions per movies, have health care and a pension, why fight over pennies a residual? the WGA should have accepted the current residual formula for dvds for internet downloads as well.
        Given that there is A list talent out there putting their careers on the line, comments like this are as innappropriate as they are ignorant.

Why should the studios, who have already made billions on films like Shrek and Lord Of The Rings, care about a little piracy?

ps - to me, the really disturbing thing here is that maralyn is making fat cash on three different continents and I can't even break in on one.....

Comment

By the way, the old studios system was run by people who couldn't manage their finances all too well. That's why they got purchased by bigger and better run media companies that know how to handle expenses.

The old studio system was one where they excercised a mafia-like stranglehold over the distrubution networks until the federal government and Supreme Court stepped in to break them up.

With luck, something that revolutionary will happen again.

Comment

But as for the poor oppressed writers, directors, and actors, PLEASE. People at the top of their game in all three fields in one gig often make more than what many Americans make in their ENTIRE LIFETIMES.

Let the Writers Guild go on strike long term. Those articles in the Los Angeles Times have already stated studios are looking for replacement writers. The studios if they want to can get out of being guild signatories. Los Angeles is suffering a huge economic blow because of the Writers Guild strike, a DGA and a SAG strike would worsen the damage.

By the way, the old studios system was run by people who couldn't manage their finances all too well. That's why they got purchased by bigger and better run media companies that know how to handle expenses.

I mean, if you're making millions per movies, have health care and a pension, why fight over pennies a residual? the WGA should have accepted the current residual formula for dvds for internet downloads as well. Instead, they've opted to put a lot of people out of work, and leave open the door to have a number of writers permanently replaced.
            This is complete crap [not very accurate, for those of a sensetive disposition] from start to finish. You clearly either have no idea or choose to ignore the ACTUAL average earnings for WGA members. Around $70,000 for WORKING WRITERS. Average income for the guild as a whole? $5,000

An LA times article saying studios are looking for non guild writers is worth taking note of??? Puleeeeeeese.

The 'old' studios were taken over by predators after a fast buck or inerested in divesrification and product integration who happened to have the financial resources to inject, and bought from moguls who had been in the business for years and thanks to these congloms seized on the chance to retire with huge fortunes. What's your argument? That these people are more fiscally responsible so we should listen to them?

Why fight over residuals? I can't even be bothered to argue that. If you don't know there is no point explaining. And kinda throws light on your comment about studio fiscal responsibility. Suffice to say, without residuals then pro writing would be impossible.
            Last edited by English Dave; 11-08-2007, 11:04 AM.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

John Doe, the number of words you expend here every day, and the intensity of yor strike-panic. It's baffling. Are you just bored? Instead of coming here and upsetting writers with nonsense, go put your energy into a script or something.

Writer are entited to residuals, and they can't be replaced.

Get it?

Comment

Yes, that these people are more fiscal responsible and that you guys should listen to them.

As for your low averages for the Guild, yet another reason we I don't buy collectivism. If someone isn't earning money, it's up to them to do whatever they need to in any field to earn more money, even if they have to find work elsewhere.

I did not say residuals should be abolished, by the way.

As for dismissing the Los Angeles Times article, do you have any credible evidence that said article is incorrect? You don't want to believe that the studios can easily replace writers if they want to, but there's a difference between wishful thinking and they reality of what will happen.
                Again for tyhe sensetive amongst us I will say ythis is not very accurate.

And by the way, at least the writer of the Los Angeles Times, who talked about the memo of replacing writers, did so under his name. You're the anonymous English Dave, so your ability to dispute what that writer said is not even there.

Why would a writer, at an establishment such as the Los Angeles Times, lie about something like this? Do you accuse the writer of blatantly lying? Because on something like this, there is no middle ground. Either the studios are preparing to replace writers on strike, or they aren't.

By the way, the Los Angeles Times is owned by the Chicago Tribune, so it isn't apart of a media company that owns studios and tv networks. So there's no conflict of interest in this reporting.
                I thought about responding. Then I thought you are clearly a dip****. So I won't. Anyone who believes the hype that writers earn $200,000 a year needs to be a writer for a few years.

Dammit I responded.
                http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Okay I just went through an entire posting/editing/deleting process - in which I made a faulty claim about the Trib company. My bad.

Comment

John Doe, are you some writer-hater or something?

Yes, writers are placed and yes writers are changed.... but not EN MASSE.

Comment

Working...
                    X