No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why HAVEN'T You Moved To LA?

Originally posted by carcar View Post
    Why don't you check out the current listings on Craigslist? That should give you an idea of what's available in both.
    Yeah I've checked out a few websites, but it's really hard to get an idea without knowning the lay of the land or being there. I plan on doing a recon trip in early 2010. It's a really tough decision. I'm getting laid off in a month and though the severance package is a joke (plus no right to unemployment), it affords me the freedom of living like an artist and just writing for several months. So on the one hand it's the best time to move, on the other hand, moving is expensive and could distract me from the task at hand, which is pounding out three scripts --thus increasing my odds of a sale. But then being there also increases odds, just by networking etc. Not to mention that when Life presents you with a change, might as well make it as doozie... but yeah, major tough Life Decision !!

Comment

It will tough to rent a place if you don't have a job. Of course, that would be true anywhere.

Venice and Silver Lake have very different vibes. It's good you're taking a reconnaissance trip out here, because it's probably something you'll need to check out for yourself.
      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Lots of reasons, but the major one is based on learning that I make a better living in my current job than 95% of the writers out there.

When Lockhart told me a few years back what the average writer makes per year in the top 5%, it became very clear that writing was not likely to ever meet my quality of life as it is right now.

Writing will always be a passion, but right now a hobby. A hobby can be done at a distance.
        Half a bubble off level... systems normal.

Comment

Originally posted by ViningWolff View Post
          Lots of reasons, but the major one is based on learning that I make a better living in my current job than 95% of the writers out there.

When Lockhart told me a few years back what the average writer makes per year in the top 5%, it became very clear that writing was not likely to ever meet my quality of life as it is right now.

Writing will always be a passion, but right now a hobby. A hobby can be done at a distance.
          True.
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

JUNO wasn't written in Los Angeles. Did okay for her.

Think you get a lot of 'group think' in Los Angeles. Difficult to develop a distinct voice when you're in a herd like that. Keep writing and developing your craft. They'll find you wherever you live.
            "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Guh. One bad thing about living in such a big city is getting sick (and you WILL get sick ) Recently half the people in my office were out with..whatever. And I got some nasty chest/throat thing that took almost3 weeks to go away. Oy...this town..it's a germ factory.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
                Guh. One bad thing about living in such a big city is getting sick (and you WILL get sick ) Recently half the people in my office were out with..whatever. And I got some nasty chest/throat thing that took almost3 weeks to go away. Oy...this town..it's a germ factory.
                I thought it was a dream factory...
                TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
                  You're gonna get sick everywhere and ANYWHERE. Small towns are not bubbles, and things are brought in and out of them on a daily basis.
                  Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

I have kids and don't wanna raise em in LA. Location means very little today. Less then when I began my career, anyway. Now with momentum, no need to roost where I don't want to.
                    I'll end up in Austin.
                    grinnerhester.com

Comment

Would love to move LA if I could, but my nationality means I'd need a visa. Besides, my wife isn't keen to move there, add to that I want to have at least 4-5 GREAT scripts ready before I consider anything of the sort.

Comment

LA has a restraining order out on me so I can't be anywhere within five hundred feet of it.

HH

Comment

Moving to LA just because you have 4 to 5 great scripts ready isn't necessarily such a good idea, unless you have other things going for you. Such as money in the bank, a job lined up, a pre existing script sale or option, etc.

Just out and out movie to LA and go through hard times like many artists do could lead your wife to divorce you. Sleeping in cars loses it's charm......................
                          Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Working...
                          X