Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Important Director Of The 00s?

"Important" suggests pioneering, making breakthroughs in new areas of filmmaking, and reaching a gargantuan audience with a message that's important to the world today. It all points to Avatar and James Cameron.

"Important" doesn't suggest "I really liked his movies", so subjective opinion on the quality of film should play not part in the decision, and plays no part in mine, even though it probably looks that way with my avatar and past postings as a Cameron fanboy

You need to look at the reaction to their films to see their importance.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
      Christopher Nolan - Biohazard is crazy.
      Honestly, what about Nolan's directing sets him ahead of Peter Jackson and Pixar?

Comment

Nolan is head and shoulders above Peter Jackson as a director. Nolan is head and shoulders above most directors. Jackson creates big spectacle films, and they are fantastic, but they are pretty unrestrained and indulgent. Largely unfocused. Nolan is a perfectionist and a great storyteller. Jackson wouldn't of done dark knight justice. Nolan would of knocked the lovely bones out of the ball park. This is all speculation on my part of course. But you just have to look at the prestige to see how Nolan can handle a complex narrative. You look at Bones and LOTR, also frighteners, to see How Jackson struggles. Nolan is the scorsese of genre film. Jackson a madman left to his own devices, but I guess I wouldn't have him any other way.

Oh, and Biohazard, thumbs up on the new avatar, lookin' sharp, brother.
        It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

That Martin Campbell has a lot going for him, too. And a hot young wife.
          It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
            Nolan is a perfectionist and a great storyteller ... But you just have to look at the prestige to see how Nolan can handle a complex narrative.
            I cannot think of a better definition for the word 'contradiction' than the quoted statement.

The Prestige is a mess of logic issues and plot holes just the same as everything else Nolan's done.

In fact, every single Nolan film that I have seen has literally made me involuntarily stop, take myself out of the story and ask "wait, what the hell?". The Prestige is no exception, and his most hailed film, The Dark Knight, is the best example.

Nolan cannot put a clear, logical story that flows naturally and ties up loose ends to the screen if you put a gun to his head.

The best that can be said about Nolan, as a director, is that he is consistently average. As a storyteller, he's a complete joke.

Comment

I need to atleast nominate one of my favorite directors: Alfonso Cuaron.
              @PatriotFrames

Comment

I'm not a Cameron fanboy... And Avatar might be average, maybe even below average storytelling...

But no one can deny the technology he pioneered for Avatar is going to be used in other movies by other directors for a long time to come. It is like when the Warchowski brothers moved digital effects ahead with "The Matrix" in 1999.

This is why I think he is the most influential, important, directors of the '00s in this regard, getting in under the wire in 2009.

What Cameron has done is going to be used by Nolan, Jackson, et al. in the years to come should they so choose to do so.

To me, this is why I feel he is the most influential, box office success, or storytelling skills aside. It's all subjective, but at least, I am looking at this from a industry-wide perspective that benefits everybody in the industry and the general movie-going public as well.
                Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Eastwood. When it comes to consistently high quality, important dramatic films that challenge beliefs and provoke thought and emotions, no one else touches him. Plus he makes prettty much a film a year (or more) and 90% of them are terrific. Nobody has his track record of quantity, quality, awards, and ROI at the box office. And at his age? Are you kidding me? Other directors a third of his age can throw hundreds of millions of dollars at their films and still muck them up. His output is becoming legendary and it wouldn't be surprising to me if history eventually places him in the company of the likes of Hitch, Kubrick, Scorcese, and Spielberg as one of the most important filmmakers of all time.

Comment

Abrams is the new Spielberg. There, I said it. After what he's accomplished this decade, I plan on seeing just about everything he makes. I love popcorn movies and I love good stories. Combine the two and you'll make me a happy man.

Who could've guessed that a remake of STAR TREK would be so incredible? Although Orci and Kurtzman get huge props for that one, they also worked on TRANSFORMERS 2, so there's no question in my mind that the directors had a lot do do with the quality of those pictures.

If someone could please put together a movie where Abrams directs, Ted & Terry write, and Will Smith and Russell Crowe star, I will love you for the rest of my life. That would be some damn good popcorn.
                    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                      Abrams is the new Spielberg.
                      I'd wait until the guy directs more than two films before making a comparison of that magnitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                        I'd wait until the guy directs more than two films before making a comparison of that magnitude.
                        You can't be the first person to call something unless you do it early. I stand by my claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                          You can't be the first person to call something unless you do it early. I stand by my claim.
                          Sorry, I already made that claim in a previous thread. Actually, I made that claim elsewhere something like a year ago. Or maybe my friend did. Either way, I win. Because I said so.

Biohazard, Abrams has directed a bunch of TV episodes. The Lost pilot, in particular, is one of the most incredible 2-hours of TV I have seen in my life. As such, I am basing my opinion of him on not just his films.

That guy is the next Spielberg, whether through producing/directing/writing/what have you. Time and time again, that man puts out a property, and delivers on it all the way.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
                            Sorry, I already made that claim in a previous thread. Actually, I made that claim elsewhere something like a year ago. Or maybe my friend did. Either way, I win. Because I said so.

Biohazard, Abrams has directed a bunch of TV episodes. The Lost pilot, in particular, is one of the most incredible 2-hours of TV I have seen in my life. As such, I am basing my opinion of him on not just his films.

That guy is the next Spielberg, whether through producing/directing/writing/what have you. Time and time again, that man puts out a property, and delivers on it all the way.
                            I stand by my claim that I was the first to claim it. You just weren't there to be a witness; that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                              Gus Van Sant - got into some Bela Tarr type arty stuff with ELEPHANT, LAST DAYS, and GERRY, made topical message movies for audiences and critics alike with MILK and FINDING FORRESTER, landed somewhere in between with stuff like PARANOID PARK, and kept things fun with guest directing gigs and cameos on Entourage, etc.
                              No offense Gwai Lo, most of Gus Van Sant's work has been sh!t. Specifically Elephant, Gerry and the likes. Those movies were utter garbage. Granted, this is totally my opinion, but Van Sant embodies everything that is wrong with filmmaking, and his once-a-decade good movies don't make up for the drivel he craps out the rest of the time.

As for the OT, this is a tough question. I agree with Biohazard that Pixar was a titan studio. I agree with others in regard to Cameron. We've seen some great directors rise to great hights this past decade - Nolan, Aronofsky, Jonez. A lot of great names have been mentioned (sorry ppl, but I disagree regarding Eastwood as well. I'm not a fan of most of his stuff).

I'll throw a few names in as well. We've seen one director change the face of comedy (Apatow). Favreau proved that comic movies were for everyone months before Nolan knocked it out of the park with TDK. Iron Man's success was overshadowed, but for a director to achieve something like that after making the modern classic Christmas movie (not my words) Elf is pretty impressive IMO. Of course, Zathura and Made take him out of the equation.

THis is a tough question, but I think the two movies that (love them or hate them) are going to have the largest impact for the longest amount of time are The Dark Knight and Avatar. It's between Nolan and Cameron, as far as I'm concerned.
                              For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
                              Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

I'd most definitely say that Tarantino is on the list. There are films that people go see because of the material, others for the actors, and others for the director. A Tarantino film is The New Tarantino Film. It's not the new Bruce Willis film, it's not the new Batman film, it's the new Tarantino film.

Same with Cameron. The director's name makes it an event more than any other element --although of course with AVATAR there was a whole bunch of excitement because of the technology. But that is also a Cameron trademark, inventing the technology to make the films he wants to make.

Honestly, most of these blockbuster type flicks made from comic books or other branded material, people are going to go see them regardless of who directed them. Personally I forgot Star Trek minutes after I had seen it, I honestly don't recall a single scene in it, and the thing that made TDK stand out the most was Ledger's performance. Yeah there were some cool sequences, but his Gotham had nothing on Burton's as far as I'm concerned, it looked like Chicago, I was sort of amazed and how not-stylized it was.

As to whoever said up-thread that Jackson is a mediocre storyteller who gets lost in complex narratives, you've gotta be freaking kidding me... LOTR follows several different storylines at once, each with compelling characters going through their own painful physical and emotional journeys, with incredibly well written dialogue and a film that did great justice to one of the most enduring and beloved works of literature of all time. With every frame of the film you could feel it was a work of total passion and personal dedication, and to me that is one of the signs of a great director.

Comment

Working...
                                X