Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Important Director Of The 00s?

This is not my opinion, but one could easily argue that it's Robert Rodriguez as most important director of the 00s because of the influence he made.

Rodriguez is the one that rebooted this (nightmare, in my opinion) 3D trend. Avatar probably wouldn't have been 3D if Rodriguez hadn't asked a bunch of old codgers how to make 3D movies and started the trend that now practically every kids' release by every studio is a 3D so they're "must-see" theater "experiences." Also... he discovered Taylor Lautner.... (Twilight's Jacob=Rodriguez' Sharkboy)

Lol. He IS super important/influential. I kinda think he wins!

Comment

I didn't think about Apatow, but he's definitely in the running. There's no question that he changed the trajectory of comedy this decade.
      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
        I didn't think about Apatow, but he's definitely in the running. There's no question that he changed the trajectory of comedy this decade.
        Probably....but as a writer. Not as a director. His directing is basic and servicable to the scripts...but there's really nothing there of substance as a director.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post

As to whoever said up-thread that Jackson is a mediocre storyteller who gets lost in complex narratives, you've gotta be freaking kidding me... LOTR follows several different storylines at once, each with compelling characters going through their own painful physical and emotional journeys, with incredibly well written dialogue and a film that did great justice to one of the most enduring and beloved works of literature of all time. With every frame of the film you could feel it was a work of total passion and personal dedication, and to me that is one of the signs of a great director.
          What I find interesting about Jackson is he is hit, or miss when it comes to characterization, IMO.

"The Frightners" has a lot of good character stuff even if it is a FX film about Ghosts.

However, "Lovely Bones" is devoid of any real emotion I am sorry to say. I think Jackson took the job because he liked the idea of presenting "Heaven", but the rest of the stuff... How the girl was murdered and her family trying to find justice... Was just perfunctory material he *had* to address because it's part of the story (book).

Bones is a very DARK book and I am surprised Jackson got the gig (or even wanted it). The book's emotional core is not just the girl's murder, but her rape at the hands of the pedophile. The rape is what tears the family up more than her being killed, ironically. But I knew they would gloss over this in a mainstream film version because it's just too uncomfortable for mass audiences to stomach, IMO.
          Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

I don't really think you can count Cameron for the 00s. Avatar barely squeaked in under the wire. It might wind up being for the 10s, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I think the most important director of the 00s was either Singer for X-men or Raimi for Spider-Man. I'll pick Raimi because I like him better as a director overall.

Really, those two films started the influx of the current era of comic book movies. They also really started the shift towards most films of that ilk being rated PG-13. Even James Cameron wanted to make Spiderman as a rated R film.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
              The rape is what tears the family up more than her being killed, ironically. But I knew they would gloss over this in a mainstream film version because it's just too uncomfortable for mass audiences to stomach, IMO.
              Hard to say, given that that kind of stuff has been happening on Law and Order SVU every week for the past ten years... anyway I haven't seen the film, I was mostly arguing in favor of the directorial excellence in LOTR... those films were breathtakingly beautiful in my opinion. Total passion project.

Comment

this is not my expertise for sure, but clint eastwood revived a certain type of movie. some might say without him, you might have lost the small character driven piece marketed for the masses.

what i think eastwood reall learned from his spaghetti western days was that he could bring the hard core male outlaw to every single demographic. think his movies and try not to compare them to his days with sergio.
                You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                  Honestly, what about Nolan's directing sets him ahead of Peter Jackson and Pixar?
                  He hasn't made anything as jaw-droppingly terrible as THE LOVELY BONES yet, for starters

Comment

the problem with marky, mark is he's not a good actor. he's not. he is one dimensional. his brother on the other hand can act.
                    You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyAtlas View Post
                      No offense Gwai Lo, most of Gus Van Sant's work has been sh!t. Specifically Elephant, Gerry and the likes. Those movies were utter garbage. Granted, this is totally my opinion, but Van Sant embodies everything that is wrong with filmmaking, and his once-a-decade good movies don't make up for the drivel he craps out the rest of the time.
                      Well I completely disagree. But that aside, I think any filmmaker would be so lucky to achieve such a workable balance between satisfying their artistic ambitions and delivering commercial product. If "Van Sant embodies everything that is wrong with filmmaking", well then sign me up to be wrong, because I'd love to have his career.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                        Rodriguez is the one that rebooted this (nightmare, in my opinion) 3D trend. Avatar probably wouldn't have been 3D if Rodriguez hadn't asked a bunch of old codgers how to make 3D movies and started the trend that now practically every kids' release by every studio is a 3D so they're "must-see" theater "experiences."
                        Rodriguez went to Cameron and asked to use their camera system, as they were using it for Ghosts of the Abyss. Cameron and Vince Pace invented the camera and since doing Ghosts of the Abyss, Cameron stated he'd never shoot in 2D again.

/steps off fanboy soap box

Comment

Also, Robert Rodriguez made SHORTS, so he should be beaten with a length of hose.

Comment

I think that if Pixar is included in the conversation then Marvel needs to be as well. No single filmmaker had as much influence on the landscape of film in the 00s as the Mighty Marvel.

Another pick:

Lars Von Trier.

DOGVILLE
                            MANDERLAY
                            DANCER IN THE DARK
                            THE FIVE OBSTRUCTIONS
                            ANTICHRIST
                            THE BOSS OF IT ALL

Pretty impressive resume.

Comment

Fascinating debate.

I'd have to say Nolan, Cameron and Jackson are the frontrunners, but I couldn't pick one from that trio.

In my opinion, there are plenty of other talented directors but none of them deserve to be considered alongside those three for "most important" of the 00s. For instance, you could make the argument that directors like Kathryn Bigelow and Brad Bird have had a big impact on cinema, just not enough to compete with the big-three for this particular title.

Jackson did a fantastic job of adapting a massive literary classic.
                              Nolan wrote and directed one of the best indies ever (Memento) and reinvented an entire franchise that was in the toilet.
                              Cameron simply breathed new life into sci-fi and raised the visual stakes, arguably making the best 3D movie of all-time.

But let's all respect that there is no definitive answer and personal taste obviously comes into play. Now debate away...
                              NOTES / COVERAGE
                              15,000+ Screenplays
                              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                                Well I completely disagree. But that aside, I think any filmmaker would be so lucky to achieve such a workable balance between satisfying their artistic ambitions and delivering commercial product. If "Van Sant embodies everything that is wrong with filmmaking", well then sign me up to be wrong, because I'd love to have his career.
                                Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinions and I respect you for yours, even if I don't agree. Personally, I think Van Sant's "artistic ambitions" are godawful.

Besides, if there were ever a director who perfected "satisfying their artistic ambitions and delivering commercial product", it's Steven Soderbergh. At least his artistic ambitions actually have some semblance of story.

Clearly I'm really not a fan of Van Sant. lol.
                                For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
                                Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

Working...
                                X