- better concept
    - much better dialogue
    - suspense (Vertigo has little)
    - humor (Vertigo has little)
    - Grace Kelly
    - brilliantly directed
    - better pacing

etc. I can keep going.

But most of all, Rear Window is FUN. Vertigo is not.

Comment

Re: The Versus Game: Rear Window vs. Vertigo

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
      Compare VERTIGO to THE SEARCHERS which came out 2 years earlier. Look at the shots in THE SEARCHERS. Nothing in VERTIGO even comes remotely close to that.

There were a lot of directors like Ford and Traffault who were light years ahead of Hitchcock when it came to cinematography.

Even with other sound stage directors like Wilder, they somehow managed to make it look cinematic.

VERTIGO, however, can go from looking like a big screen movie one scene, to looking like an episode of "Donna Reed" the next.

All that aside, my biggest issue with Hitchcock is that most of his films have a strange silliness coursing through them.

VERTIGO is one of the worst, IMO. It's supposed to deal with these heavy, emotional issues, but there's this constant goofiness undercutting all the drama.

And you have to buy into the idea that this insanely stupid plan could fool Stewart's character.

The only way that can happen is if his character is a complete idiot. It's A) hard to root for an idiot, and B) It's hard to watch Jimmy Stewart play and idiot.

The end is greatly ironic, though. And I think it would have been a brilliant conclusion to a better movie.

It's just not.
      Granted Vertigo has some "contrivances" that need suspension of disbelief, but Donna Reed. shots.. Have to say that this is Hitchcock in SF and he's indulging natural and non-natural lighting. No Donna Reed shots come to mind,
      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Rear Window.

... and don't you dare say a bad word about my Oscar-winning Princess Grace.
        Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
        Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
        Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

VERTIGO. Just a better film. Don't get me wrong, though--REAR WINDOW's great as well.

Comment

Working...
          X