No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How to Make it in Hollywood

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
    ... it's a long road for me, filled with incorrect sluglines.
    Painful though it may be, that is sometimes the price that must be paid for success.
    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

I have scoured the earth to find a perfect representation of how 'awesome' should be used -- tonight that quest is no longer.
      "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
      AYN RAND

Comment

Wow. This thread was good. Some old school names and success stories. What a life line DD has been. Someday we're going have a class reunion and really tear it up.
        "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
        AYN RAND

Comment

Truly awesome thread. Just finished my latest spec so I actually read the entire thing out of a sweet curiousity/boredom combo.

The question remains: "How to make it in Hollywood".

To me, the answers seem to overlook a great deal.

In my opinion, this is a baby step industry.

It takes years to learn how to write well. Look at the "lightning in a bottle" sales. For the most part those writers were exposed soon thereafter.

There are tons and tons of steps to make it. I don't pretend to know all of them, but I do believe that shortcuts are B.S.

Read tons of scripts. Write tons of scripts. Work with folks that know more than you.

After years, hopefully you will sharpen your skills at assessing industry needs. Hopefully, you will make solid connections. Hopefully, you will lock into a killer writer's group. Hopefully you will learn to listen to others. Hopefully you will generate a script that speaks to the market.

How to make it in Hollywood? Work your ass off for years and turn your "hope" into the common sense to listen to those that can forward your career combined with battle-tested gut feelings about a sellable script.

That's when you start making important lists, winning contest and actually getting responses to your queries.

If you are lucky and persistent, after all of that rock rolling up the hill, you will find a great rep that can take out your great script to the right people at the right time.

Baby steps.
          "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Working...
          X