Best Script Coverage to Generate Queries?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Script Coverage to Generate Queries?

Originally posted by MHS View Post
    Living in Chicago, I don't have the luxury (yet) of a network of industry people to give me the kind of craft-specific feedback my ego doesn't want to hear. Until that time comes, I will continue to pay for coverage when necessary.
    Actually, there is a lot to be said about building up a group of writers (I am sure there are other aspiring screenwriters who live in Chicago or the states around Chicago) whom you can exchange material with. Chicago is hardly the boondocks.

EJ Pennypacker has written an excellent post on the 'Circle of Trust':

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ircle+of+trust

Michael Lent in his book 'Breakfast with Sharks' also has an excellent section on writers groups etc.

Comment

Originally posted by madyellowduck View Post
      Actually, there is a lot to be said about building up a group of writers (I am sure there are other aspiring screenwriters who live in Chicago or the states around Chicago) whom you can exchange material with. Chicago is hardly the boondocks.

EJ Pennypacker has written an excellent post on the 'Circle of Trust':

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ircle+of+trust

Michael Lent in his book 'Breakfast with Sharks' also has an excellent section on writers groups etc.
      About that circle of trust. What if you've never been in a writer's group, but your manager has their own "circle of trust" they send early drafts of your script to? Is it the same, equal to, or less than having other writers read the script?

Comment

Chicago has one of the country's best film schools, Northwestern, in its backyard. Full disclosure: I graduated from NU. Columbia also has really great film and writing programs and tons of intelligent, curious, artistic students. Post a flyer on a message board on campus. Email one of the screenwriting professors, ask if they know of any local writer's groups. Dave Tolchinsky, the head of NU's Creative Writing for the Media program, is a fantastic guy and I'll bet dollars to donuts he'll know of some local writers who might be interested in forming a writer's group or at least he'll point you in some directions that could be of service. His email is easily google-able and on Northwestern's website.

To those of you not in LA, this is a pretty sure-fire formula. Look for local screenwriting teachers at big universities, email them, ask if they know of any resources. They're teachers, and they're probably pretty plugged in to the local film community. Look for conferences or talks or events at bookstores or libraries or just go hang out at cafes and seek out the people with Final Draft open. They're out there -- go find them!

Comment

Originally posted by Solomon View Post
          About that circle of trust. What if you've never been in a writer's group, but your manager has their own "circle of trust" they send early drafts of your script to? Is it the same, equal to, or less than having other writers read the script?
          Less than. Writer's groups are golden, invaluable, fantastic. Find one. No excuses. You can do it. It involves talking to people other than your characters, but it's worth it.

Comment

4 writers in a group is better than 4 creative execs at major production companies willing to give notes on your first draft?

I always though the people who made the movies and decided on what to make would have better notes and feedback.

Comment

Again, I think script mechanic gets tossed in with the 99.99% of other pay services. My guess from reading his posts and the responses here, he's actually an okay guy with a fairly legit service.

I see no problem in people paying a modes fee (60.00) for coverage with NO PROMISES of helping your career. The no promises means the service (script mec) can be honest. Also, he did or does read for legit companies so he is a "pro."

It's very difficult getting notes outside your family members.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBono Writer View Post
                Ah. Nice. Well, good on you for making that connection.

Some of us, alas, must query.
                See the first post in "how to make it in hollywood." - move to LA.

But seriously, me and Todd came up together. We tried queries four times. The second we got form letters back, we were like 'fvck this sh!t.'

Then we went back to working on our scripts, giving them to random people. Actually, I went back to that. Todd went back to goofing off and fvcking chicks, but he was only 18 so I get it.

Anyway, I knew NO ONE when I broke in. Not quite true but mostly true. What you find is that random people get your script out there, then random people show up at your raggedy ass apartment wanting to help.

Todd, you remember Karate Jeff?

Karate Jeff was a pretty big ent' lawyer who read 30pgs of a script i was writing. He showed up at my apartment wanting to get me to agents as soon as I finished. He talked about martial arts and "chi."

Me and Todd made fun of him and never followed up because we were a55holes.

Comment

4 writers in a group is better than 4 creative execs at major production companies willing to give notes on your first draft?

I always though the people who made the movies and decided on what to make would have better notes and feedback.
                  Yes, but before those 4 CEs are willing to look at your script, it better be in decent shape and that's where your group of writers aka Circle of Trust comes in. Yes, managers have their Circle of Trust too but that's designed for them to determine if the script is worthy of going out to a bigger circle of people. Your writers circle is designed to help you make sure the script is worthy of going out to your MANAGER. Cause if he thinks it needs a million things fixed, it is NOT going to his circle.

Also, 4 CEs are prodcos with different production mandates will potentially generate 4 completely different set of notes, motivated by different factors, depending on what the CE has been tasked to do. Your writers on the other hand are looking at the script as a script, unmotivated by concerns of what their boss is looking for, what the company's budget is and the CEs own career interests.

Comment

Yes, but before those 4 CEs are willing to look at your script, it better be in decent shape and that's where your group of writers aka Circle of Trust comes in. Yes, managers have their Circle of Trust too but that's designed for them to determine if the script is worthy of going out to a bigger circle of people. Your writers circle is designed to help you make sure the script is worthy of going out to your MANAGER. Cause if he thinks it needs a million things fixed, it is NOT going to his circle.

Also, 4 CEs are prodcos with different production mandates will potentially generate 4 completely different set of notes, motivated by different factors, depending on what the CE has been tasked to do. Your writers on the other hand are looking at the script as a script, unmotivated by concerns of what their boss is looking for, what the company's budget is and the CEs own career interests.
                    I thought the job of the writer was to be good enough not to send crap to their manager in the first place? My script's first draft just went to 4 CEs and an Agent, and they all had similar notes to one another.

I guess people have different paths in getting scripts read. I've never done the writer's group thing, but wonder if it would work.

Comment

I thought the job of the writer was to be good enough not to send crap to their manager in the first place? My script's first draft just went to 4 CEs and an Agent, and they all had similar notes to one another.

I guess people have different paths in getting scripts read. I've never done the writer's group thing, but wonder if it would work.
                      If their notes were similar, it sounds like they all caught problems you overlooked.

If you were in a writer's group perhaps the group members would have caught those same problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                        If their notes were similar, it sounds like they all caught problems you overlooked.

If you were in a writer's group perhaps the group members would have caught those same problems.
                        But what's the difference if both would have caught the same problems?

Comment

But what's the difference if both would have caught the same problems?
                          You would have had an opportunity to fix the problems before your script was read by the CE's.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                            You would have had an opportunity to fix the problems before your script was read by the CE's.
                            But what's the point if they request the next draft?

I need to make a topic, because this is confusing.

Comment

In this day in age of online SWing sites & such, it's not that hard to meet other writers who will read your work & give notes.

Join a site like this one, post for a while so people get to know you, show people you're serious about your career, reach out & ask a few members if they will read, offer to read their stuff in return. Some people will turn you down, others will say yes.

When i wrote my last script i had about 10 people read it & give notes. Except for my husband, they got to me thru SWing boards.

I've never paid for any kind of script service.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I don't think Andrew is quite the same as a site like ScriptShark (using them as an example-- I know little about them). As far as i know he's only one guy, not an anonymous reader hired by a site. I think that makes a big difference.

You can contact him directly & estab a relationship, he has reasonable rates, & is a long time pro reader for Prod cos.

If I was gonna use a service, I'd use a guy like Andrew (or Scott the Reader, who also has a good reputation) who is not out to scam you.

But I'd use these guys to improve a script, not to advance a career.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Working...
                                X