Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Am I really being that unreasonable?

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    I went through four agencies in my first four years in Los Angeles. (Including firing Kaplan-Stahler and CAA.) There's no sense in staying with a rep where the relationship isn't working, and there's no sense in assuming the problem is the writer.

I want everyone to remember this comment Jeff Lowell just wrote. I see way too many times where the REP gets off the hook and the blame is placed solely on the writer as to why things aren't working.

Never be afraid to fire your rep, you will waste years toiling away and accomplish nothing if they are not a good fit for you. Representation is a PARTNERSHIP, you do not work for the rep. If you are pulling your end, they should pull their end.

It took me 2 managers to finally find the perfect managers for me. With my present managers I'm in a great creative space, I accomplish more, and am happy, and I have a great trust factor with them. Which helps make you a better writer.

Find the best fit for you.

Let me also add, I';m not saying you shouldn't listen to your reps, but you should have confidence in yourself and the work you do. You will not always see eye to eye creatively with your reps. But a good manager, will try to work it out and find common ground or trust in you as a writer. My managers are very open, and it's a full on collaboration with them, not a dictatorship like my former management was.

Sometimes people don't click. You should move one, and don't be too down on yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
      I ask because I sense that -- whether deserved or not -- I've garnered a bit of a reputation for being the one who's to blame for problems in my past manager-client relationships.

But this latest turn of events is pretty ridiculous: I sent a four-page outline to my managers over a month ago for a project I want them to check out and they still haven't gotten to it. And then -- in an effort to be proactive on account there's been nothing to work on with them since prior to the winter break -- I sent a brief two-page document to them two weeks ago. It contained revised character arcs / relationships for a script that was sidelined due to "creative issues" -- primarily with the characters, hence I think I'm doing a good thing here.

All I get back is an e-mail from one of my two managers saying, "Ack!" WTF is up with that?

The three of us had a very frank State of the Union chat in November, which I thought had resolved some underlying issues in our relationship. But this latest turn of events and their recalcitrant behavior is really pissing me off.

Thoughts?
      I thought I'd cite the OP here just to get things back into focus. Clearly there are some serious problems with this relationship, as others have said, and it's probably time to move on. But, for what it's worth, I think I would have played this differently. If my managers had reacted negatively to three drafts of Script A and we were at a total impasse, then I'd probably give up on Script A and start work on Script B. So sending the four-page outline of Script B was fine. Now, here's where the trouble starts. Your managers have had the Script B outline for over a month and have not yet reponded. That's not great. I would've sent an email or called a couple of times during that period just to politely check in on it and see what they said about the delay, because there might be a good reason for it. It's not clear whether or not you did that. If I got the sense that they were basically blowing me off, then I guess I'd start looking for a new manager at that point. On the other hand, if I didn't get that impression, I'd continue to wait; and if I wanted to stay busy, I might start hashing out some ideas for Script C. But what I would NOT do is go back to Script A, fiddle around with it some more, and then spring it back on my managers, before they'd even responded to Script B. This is for two reasons: (1) if the managers haven't yet had a chance to address Script B, then they certainly aren't going to have the time or the inclination to revisit Script A (even in a two-page reconstruction of character arcs); and (2) the managers have essentially rejected Script A, so you shouldn't bring it up again without at least feeling them out about it first. That probably explains the "Ack!"

Comment

Programmers think in binary - yes and no are the only possible answers in their world. Hence "Ack" is a positive statement, the subtext being "Too busy to respond, but I got your message and will address it as soon as I am able".

However, to the rest of humanity the response "Ack" is basically a brush-off, the subtext in your particular case being something akin to "Yeah, we got your message. Don't care; already said 'no' to that one. Find new management, or continue to be strung along, because we're not going to be the ones to officially sever the relationship and end up looking douchey, we'll leave that up to you". Purposeful or not, that IS essentially what such a curt response means. Writing "Ack" is just shorter (and less confrontational).

I'd follow their suggestion (being as un-douchey as possible; step away gracefully). Who wants to stick around anywhere you're not valued?
        12 Angry Men is proof that all you need is a bunch of good actors, good characters, clear motivations and a table. -- Ben Odgren; Go into the Story

Comment

Why not just ask your reps if you should move on?

"I'm getting the feeling that we're no longer on the same page. Can this be reconciled or should I move on?"

I don't see anything wrong with that if you truly feel this relationship has soured.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
            It's done, Mac H.

When you let your reps know that things haven't been good ("State of the Union"), and they don't make an effort to show you they want you, it's done. Happens to all of us. Happens all the time.

Reps are only human. They get excited about a talented writer. But that excitement wains easily. The fact they took a month is bad enough, the fact they responded with "ack" means you need to bounce.

You need to bounce.

Find new reps first, of course. Stop contacting them. The worst thing you can do is drag it out by rekindling a dying flame. Don't send them revised sh!t save it for the new people.
            ATB, BDZ posted this earlier. It will be easier for MacG to find new reps if he has current representation.

Comment

I get that, but if he really is unsure of whether his current reps are right for him, couldn't he just ask their opinion?

I mean, it seems really obvious to me. If you suspect your girlfriend might be thinking of breaking it off with you, why not ask her?

If you're not sure what "Ack!" meant, why not ask?

If you're not sure if they're still interested in the work you produce, why not ask?

Don't make yourself sound desperate, but put it out there.

I don't know if that's the right idea, but it seems reasonable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                I get that, but if he really is unsure of whether his current reps are right for him, couldn't he just ask their opinion?

I mean, it seems really obvious to me. If you suspect your girlfriend might be thinking of breaking it off with you, why not ask her?

If you're not sure what "Ack!" meant, why not ask?

If you're not sure if they're still interested in the work you produce, why not ask?

Don't make yourself sound desperate, but put it out there.

I don't know if that's the right idea, but it seems reasonable to me.
                To me this is a mistake. I've had a LOT of bad reps over the last 11 years. A lot. At every agency. I'm gassed after a long day of work so this post is gonna suck but let me reiterate...i really think this is a mistake.

Why rekindle it? Best case scenario you get to a point you should have already been at--which never ever happens, worst case you just spent more time with a dead team. Plus that resentment never goes anywhere.

Your reps are either working for you or they're not. When sh!t gets flat and they're just letting it drag out in hopes you write an insane spec that leads to free money, it makes you hate them more once you actually do it.

Nowadays writers are, more than ever, expected to make their own careers happen. This is, in a way, empowering. Once a writer figures out they can always write their way into a good situation--not saying the can do it whenever they want but they can always (eventually) do it, there's no need to be precious with your reps.

Again, I'm really burnt. Trust me, you do not wanna rekindle the fire when it's dying.

Comment

I think he essentially did that in November. This is a bit more like your girlfriend doesn't have time to go on dates with you, acts annoyed that you keep calling, and hasn't slept with you in ages. But she steadfastly refuses to break up with you (and denies cheating on you) so you have to be the one who's the jerk when you end it.

But it definitely seems that it's time to end it.

Edited: Oops, I was responding to ATB above. But I absolutely 100% agree with BDZ. I've gone through a few reps and I really believe that once it hits this point, there's very little that can be done to salvage it. I've done a few State of the Union talks, and it only seems to leave a festering resentment no matter how constructive the tone is.

Comment

The "Ack!" reply is really weird. Taking the exclamation into account, I can see it meaning-

"Ack!" - "Acknowledged! I got it! STFU!"
                    "Ack!" - "Ugh! Not this shitty idea AGAIN!"
                    "Ack!" - "Oops! I forgot you sent this to me last month!"

None of which are really what you want to be hearing from your rep.

Comment

Seeing that BDZ has wayyy more experience at this, I'd follow his advice.

My suggestion was only in the context of you being unable to move on without knowing if you've correctly assessed the situation.

If you can stomach everyone's advice in this thread and realize it's not the best fit for you, then go find a rep that is.

Comment

To me, "Ack!" only means one thing. Comic-strip character Cathy is not happy with how she looks in her new bikini.
                        "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                        - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                          To me, "Ack!" only means one thing. Comic-strip character Cathy is not happy with how she looks in her new bikini.
                          Well done.

Close thread.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                            I can vouch for that number. We've had some brutal, marathon gigs in the past. I hope we never go down the infinite draft road again.
                            You know that old saying "you either laugh or you cry"? At least we are good at laughing. And it did give us an excuse to drink on a daily basis...
                            twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Working...
                            X