When a character sees themselves in a vision...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a character sees themselves in a vision...

My protagonist suffers from a state of psychosis. In the 3rd act she finally sees what really happened - She sees herself being violated.
    Without using the FLASHBACK or DREAM action/scene heading title how would you write this?
    Thanks and I appreciate the help.

Re: When a character sees themselves in a vision...

Your question is a bit strange. You can write it however you want if for some reason you don't want to write the word "FLASHBACK:" or whatever.

"Jane turns her unseeing stare to the window, lost in the vision of --

INT. BABY JANE'S ROOM - DAY

BABY JANE (6 y.o.) sits on her bed and plays with her Barbie doll.

The door CREAKS..." etc.

Comment

Why wouldn't you use FLASHBACK?

Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Regarding flashbacks, I want to put the audience right there into the mind of the protagonist without giving them the idea that they are only watching a movie. I want to communicate that they are feeling/seeing what the protagonist's mind is going through.
        If you use the flashback then you distance yourself from their situation.

Comment

Originally posted by pkillam View Post
          Regarding flashbacks, I want to put the audience right there into the mind of the protagonist without giving them the idea that they are only watching a movie. I want to communicate that they are feeling/seeing what the protagonist's mind is going through.
          If properly executed, a flashback or dream sequence won't take them out of the movie.

One option you can do is have the room transform around the protagonist. Specters of characters can appear, reenacting whatever she's seeing. I'm blanking on examples, but this is an old way to avoid going into a full-fledged flashback.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

Originally posted by pkillam View Post
            Maybe make the flashbacks her POV, then?

Comment

You could also write it as two iterations of herself inside the same scene. For instance, she (our present-tense heroine) walks into a room where she watches her former self experience the terrible event. You could just denote the two versions of the character as HEROINE and HEROINE AGE _.

Comment

Working...
              X