Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FD8 Quits Unexpectedly Everytime I Try to Print

This just started happening this morning.

I have a rewrite script where I copied a portion of my script and rewrote it in revision mode to track changes, but every time I try to print it both documents disappear and I get the warning:

Final Draft quit unexpectedly...

Details:

Macbook pro 15"
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.1
    FD 8: 8.0.3.1 build 131

Anyone else have this problem? What can I try? I'm printing through wi-fi

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: FD8 Quits Unexpectedly Everytime I Try to Print

Unfortunately, I am not a Mac person, so I really cannot help much.

However, I would suggest that you try a couple of things that you may have done already.

1. Create a totally unrelated test file, a new file, and put some made-up action and dialogue onto a page. A half-page will do. Save it and see if you can print it. Do not do anything in revision mode.

2. If your test file prints, try using revision mode to make some changes. Then try to print. If it prints, you know that the problem must be in the particular script that you have been working on.

Some advice, from the Windows world, anyway. Back up your problem script as a formatted text file, as a safety measure. Check with a text editor to make sure that the file has really saved. Final Draft (in Windows, anyway) goes nuts every once in a while and wipes out an entire script.

Since FD files are usable on either Windows or Mac machines, you can send me the file if you want to, and I will see if it will print to a PDF for me, and I can check to see if a few of the problem pages will print to hard copy.

[email protected]

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Hi Finalact4,

No idea on your question, i use MM, but...

...CONGRATS on Tracker being Blacklist's Featured script.

Comment

Originally posted by fastfreddie View Post
        Hi Finalact4,

No idea on your question, i use MM, but...

...CONGRATS on Tracker being Blacklist's Featured script.
        Thank you, fastfreddie, you made my day.

Comicbent, I think it might have something to do with the copy on my laptop, because I opened the exact same file from my imac desktop and it printed fine. both computers use wi-fi to connect to the printer, so it doesn't appear to be the file.

Just in case, I'm going to shutdown my laptop and reboot everything. This is the same laptop that I had the problem a couple months ago where it freaked out and shutdown without saving. Now I have autosave on and that seems to help.

Will let you know what happens next.

I did save a clean file, but I hadn't taken it out of revision mode to test will try that next.

Post Edit:
        It's not the file. It won't print ANY files. Not even a new blank one. Every time I try I receive the pop up window that says, FD quit unexpectedly.

Now I'm going to shut down, see if that helps.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Let us know what happens.

Again, I have absolutely no experience with the Mac.

However, in the Windows world, it is not a good idea to leave your computer running for days and days. (It sounded as if you were doing this.) Various problems (with memory tangle-ups, I suppose) develop over time. I have seen it happen to people at the hospital where I used to work. Their computers turned into slugs because they were never being rebooted.

In many years of using computers, I have had countless problems that simply went away when I rebooted my computer. I turn off my computer every night anyway, and I turn it off if I go out on an errand that takes me away from home.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Re: FD8 -- You Can't Print Any Files with Sierra

Hi ComicBent:
            Actually, Apple told me i didn't have to shut it down unless I was going to travel with it. I'll double check with them again.

I did find out what the problem is and it would lead to some serious umbrage if Craig Mazin heard.

My laptop has the lastest MacOS Sierra, and apparently FD8 will NOT print ANY files and will summarily crash FD every single time you try.

The "work around" is to convert it to a PDF and then print-- is that F'ing stupid?!

You think they might be smart and let their Mac customers know so they can decide whether to upgrade. I hate this company.

Comment

Working...
            X