No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Random film thread...

One More...

Way ahead of its time ... a film that is 87 years old... (pre-Hays Code!)

Baby Face (1933)

IMDb descriptor: A young woman, sexually exploited all her life, decides to turn the tables and exploit the hapless men at a big city bank - by gleefully sleeping her way to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
      Saving Private Ryan remains the best war movie imo. Still hard to watch at parts. Fury and Beasts of No Nation were also good recent ones. I only saw the Daniel Craig/Rooney Mara version of Girl with the Dragon Tatoo but I liked it.

Saw The Corpse Bride the other night. Decent enough. Beetlejuice and Nightmare Before Christmas are still my favorite Burton movies.
      The Big Red One (1980) — Lee Marvin leads a cast of young stars (including Mark Hamill and Robert Carradine) to glory in battle against the German Army in World War II.

Try to obtain the 2004 re-release if possible (RT: 162 minutes). It is the superior film compared to the 1980 version.(click hyperlink to buy)

(Apologies to one and all; I don’t know how or why I forgot to include this movie in my original post.)
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

^I put that on the list as well. That and the aforementioned Hamburger Hill will be my next war movies, I think. Maybe Hurt Locker as well, as I enjoyed Zero Dark Thirty.

Last night it was The Quiet Man (1952). This is my second John Wayne/John Ford movie and I'd imagine a pretty early variation of the romantic comedy. It wasn't close to as good as The Searchers (1956) but it was still fun overall. A little slow at parts and some odd character choices, though they tried well enough to set them up. The almost mythical portrayal of Ireland and its people was interesting, though, and the big fist fight at the end made me laugh a few times. I think I expected a little better but I like this kind of old-school, tough man boxer comedy. Probably aren't many examples but it reminded me of the old Robert E. Howard "Sailor Steve Costigan" short stories.

Comment

Last two nights I watched-

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) - Good movie but not as good as I was expecting. The first half was interesting but fairly slow. The second half, after the arrival of the bounty hunters, was much stronger. McCabe had a solid trajectory as a character but Mrs. Miller just turned into a dead end. I'm sure that was part of the point, but the execution seemed odd. Maybe I was too drunk to notice some of the subtlety and I need to rewatch.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988) - A solid anime movie available for free on youtube. As far as I can tell this movie had basically one purpose; I knew exactly what was going to happen, it happened, yet it still affected me emotionally. Even my wife, who generally talks crap about anime, was in tears.

The Seventh Seal (1957) - This was my first Ingmar Bergman movie and I enjoyed it. I will definitely rewatch this at some point. Very odd and unique movie. Anyway, Block's worthy deed seemed clear enough, but -

SPOLIER-

It was sort of negated by the fact that he basically got everyone else killed, including his wife. Could he have helped them escape as well? He didn't think it would happen that way (he was praying at the end)? Death would have followed them anyway? The answers are in there, I'm sure. I need to think about it more and watch it again.

Anyway, what is the other best Bergman movie? I've heard a lot about Wild Strawberries and Through a Glass Darkly.

Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1988) - This was more of a nostalgia watch than anything else. The visuals are still fantastic though, especially the end bit in the Nightmare Castle.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
            Some random films I recently viewed and rated on IMDb...they've ranged as high as 7/10 down to
            Gosford Park (2001) 2/10 and
            Just saw my first Altman movie with McCabe and Mrs. Miller. What didn't you like about Gosford Park?

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
              Just saw my first Altman movie with McCabe and Mrs. Miller. What didn't you like about Gosford Park?
              Such an incredible pool of talent involved with Gosford Park but it just didn't come together in an interesting manner for me.

Neither the class differences nor the murder nor both combined captured my attention...and certainly not for the lengthy running time. I kept thinking there must be some additional twist or major plot point coming given all the set-up and large quantity of characters, but nope. It could have been over in 1/3rd the time with 1/3rd the quantity of characters.

Perry Mason, Matlock or Charlie Chan could have wrapped up the case in 45 minutes with some better wise-cracks slipped in it. With Helen Mirren AND Maggie Smith I had such high hopes, but I'd much rather re-watch one of the Thin Man movies with Myrna Loy, William Powell and Asta.

Homework: Compare and Contrast Gosford Park with Knives Out.

Roger O. Thornhill

Comment

I tell you one that I always disliked, yet it got a lot of glory: Short Cuts

In particular, I despised the Downey Jr. character in that one. He played that smarmy type of character in all his early movies, and to this day even. It was only when I saw him in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang that I finally kind of liked the actor. A bit. Because he got pretty beat up in that one!

Comment

I retrieved 3 from the DVR in the last few days.

The best of the three was Bound (1996) by the Wachowskis. I'd call it a noir with no innocent characters. It's also a good example of a "contained" film with 95 % of the screen time taking place in three apartments and two hallways. Jennifer Tilly is one of those who has a manner of speaking that you can't tune out. A combination of cadence and ennunciation. I was trying to think of who she reminded me of from older films and I came up with Glynnis Johns in her early career. Joe Pantoliano is great when he is within his range/typecast which he is in Bound. Gina Gershon is one of those tainted in my mind by the Showgirls debacle which overshadows anything else she might be in.

The 5th Wave (2016) is an average SciFi with Chloe Grace-Moretz (Hit Girl!). Chloe has 71 imdb credits at the age of 23. The movie is OK.

As my bit of 'culture' for the week, I viewed Orson Welles' The Trial (1962). Anthony Perkins stars in this low-budget European tale of a man arrested for a crime, but nobody will mention what the crime is. It is a confusing Kafka-bad-dream type story. If you like the shadows and contrasts of good black and white cinematography or are doing your thesis in psychology or film, give it a watch. Otherwise, pass on it.

Comment

The Search for One-eye Jimmy (1994) — “While working on a documentary on his old neighborhood, a young film school graduate shifts the focus of his production onto the disappearance of a local resident and the strange characters who are conducting the search to find him.”

Funny or not, character actors we know and love today are in this comedy film available on Amazon Prime.
                    Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-27-2020, 04:46 PM.
                    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Rio Bravo (1959) - Hell yeah/10. Not as good as The Searchers but better than any Sergio Leone western. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuAjwvtxEM

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987) - Made me way more emotional than I was expecting/10. I think this is owed as much to John Candy as John Hughes (/10).

The Nightingale (2018) - A dark, disgusting, and solid movie hindered by a few bafflingly stupid character decisions/10.

Comment

Working...
                      X