Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lengthy negotiations?"

How long should it take for a deal to close? Got an offer from a network which my lawyer countered and haven't heard back. All told it's been about a month. I'm getting nervous. I keep reading about things selling after "lengthy negotiations" but how lengthy is too lengthy? Thanks for any guidance.

Re: "Lengthy negotiations?"

Most deals seem to move at about the speed of a frightened turtle. We've had "everything in place" and then six months goes by with nary a wheel even spinning.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
    Dave Barry

Comment

Thanks, Centurio. I just hope this turtle isn't too frightened...

Comment

A month is nothing.

Unfortunately.

August and Maizin mentioned this on a recent Scriptnotes - it seems like it's taking longer and longer. They think business affairs departments may have been cut back. It's very frustrating. Good luck!

Comment

I've seen them happen pretty quickly when the property is hot... it all comes down to how badly/quickly they want to move it forward.

M
          "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Hah. My last one took 11 months.
            "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Usually the deal/negotiation of the broad strokes closes rather quickly - over the course of a day or two. I had one stretch out a month with counters. It's papering the deal that takes forever. That can range from a couple of months to a year.
              https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
                Usually the deal/negotiation of the broad strokes closes rather quickly - over the course of a day or two. I had one stretch out a month with counters. It's papering the deal that takes forever. That can range from a couple of months to a year.
                That being said, if you work on the project during this time, two things to keep in mind:

One, YOU DO NOT SHOW THEM ANYTHING until the paper is signed. Under no circumstances do they get to see it.

Second, when you are done, tell them - "Hey, I'm done, as soon as the paper is signed, you can get the draft." This will usually move things along.

It's pretty normal to work ahead of the contract being signed. But watch out. Let's say the paper takes three months to sign, during which time to execute their rewrite notes. Paper is signed, you deliver ... they may come back with a second set of rewrite notes. I mean, they always have additional notes, but they may say, "Well, the contract says a six week rewrite, and we just paid you commencement."

Comment

All very helpful and comforting - thanks guys!

Comment

A follow up: when I read about projects selling in the trades, is that in advance of the papering of the deal? I assumed nothing could be announced until it's all closed, but these pilot sales, etc. can't all be getting done that quickly...

Comment

Yes. Deals are announced prior to them being papered.
                      https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Working...
                      X