If there's an ethical line in filmmaking...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If there's an ethical line in filmmaking...

The film may degenerate into paranormal "cheap thrills", but without seeing it, we won't know if the message - that posting sh*t online has consequences - gets lost or not.

This week on UK television we had a similar thriller called CYBERBULLY, starring Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones. It played like a horror movie in parts, yet never lost sight of making you think about how you treat people online.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...-calls-skyping

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/cyberbully

Comment

Films are a reflection of culture at a specific place and time.

This type of bullying is happening in our culture right now. It's real.

But not everyone is exposed to it on a personal level, so for some, it never gets beyond a soundbite on the evening news.

Getting it in front of millions of people, good-bad-or-indifferent, opens the issue to a broader audience.

Even on a subconscious level-- movies have an impact on our fears and desires. And it doesn't matter if it's a good movie or not. When it comes to our subconscious it's about how that one individual feels about their own ethics.

People are the problem.

And if you don't get the subject in front of them-- people don't change.

I agree a lot with Ronaldinho's point about The Accused.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
        Getting it in front of millions of people, good-bad-or-indifferent, opens the issue to a broader audience.

Even on a subconscious level-- movies have an impact on our fears and desires. And it doesn't matter if it's a good movie or not. When it comes to our subconscious it's about how that one individual feels about their own ethics.
        At this point, there isn't much more I can say until/unless I see the film. I strongly disagree with most of what you've said, but I can't find a way to explain why, that doesn't seem like an attack on you, or like I'm singling you out or something, and I'm not willing to drag this down into that kind of thread. So I guess we'll see what happens in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
          At this point, there isn't much more I can say until/unless I see the film. I strongly disagree with most of what you've said, but I can't find a way to explain why, that doesn't seem like an attack on you, or like I'm singling you out or something, and I'm not willing to drag this down into that kind of thread. So I guess we'll see what happens in April.
          Hey EricBoeliner, I don't feel attacked-- I do get what you're saying, and I respect your position, I just feel a differently about. I'm not trying to change your mind, just pointing out my POV. I'm an optimist at heart, so I'm inclined to see potential in everything.

Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong--
          Best,
          FA4
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            Hey EricBoeliner, I don't feel attacked-- I do get what you're saying, and I respect your position, I just feel a differently about. I'm not trying to change your mind, just pointing out my POV. I'm an optimist at heart, so I'm inclined to see potential in everything.

Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong--
            Best,
            FA4
            Thanks for understanding.

Comment

Many films initially considered exploitative turn out to be classics. Take Taxi Driver, for example, which was booed at Cannes, and which juror Tennessee Williams publicly criticized for excessive violence.

Comment

I doubt this movie will be a classic, but it does look interesting. Certainly a lot more interesting than most horror flicks being made today.

Is it unethical? I don't think so, anymore than any other horror movie is unethical. Horror movies, by their very nature, are "exploitative". Do we avoid slasher movies because someone was murdered in real life? I don't go to slasher movies, but that's just because I find them boring, not "unethical".

Comment

Personally I would find it unethical if the movie exploited a particular case - like one in the first post - but it doesn't, it tackles the subject matter as a whole.

Comment

Working...
                  X