Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it worth it?

The skepticism could diminish if he told us what TV show he think was stolen. Maybe a series of clues?
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Has anyone told you to contact a lawyer yet?

I mean, I'm assuming we're still talking about this 'cause there's just not enough ways to tell someone that 2+2=4?

Comment

I'll look at things from a strictly personal point of view. If you're sure that you're right, 100% positive that someone has stolen your work, can you live with the knowledge that you haven't tried everything to seek redress?

I couldn't, it would eat me up
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Retain an attorney and have them pursue the case. If it's legit, there isn't going to be much blowback on you.

An acquaintance of mine (veteran showrunner) had a two year overall deal with one of the major TV studios about 4 years ago. His deal specifically included a clause about him retaining the rights to any scripts not picked up to pilot. He found out a year after the deal was up, that the network had picked up a very similar pilot to series (same premise, title and several overlapping characters). He told his attorney, they went after the TV studio and he quietly received a check for mid 7 figures. The network (same company as the studio) canceled the show the following year, under the guise of falling ratings (which were pretty bad for a 30 minute single cam). He suffered zero blowback and not a single mention of it in the trades.

PM me if you need more info.
          "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

I hired a lawyer yesterday who thinks I have a pretty strong case after reading my script and watching the show in question.

Comment

If that's the case we should be reading about in the trades shortly. Happened a couple years ago with The League. Not sure what happened with that.

http://deadline.com/2012/09/fx-netwo...haffer-337937/

Chuck Zito also sued Kurt Sutter for stealing Sons of Anarchy but lost

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...lawsuit-274294

Comment

Originally posted by jk97301 View Post
                I hired a lawyer yesterday who thinks I have a pretty strong case after reading my script and watching the show in question.
                Rad. That totally doesn't sound made up.

Comment

Is this a sitcom that has been on the air for like 5 years?

Or do you mean a brand new TV show and its' the pilot episode?

Did you submit a script at any time to this show?

Did you or your manager try to get the script they made the show from? Contact the credited writer(s) to that episode? See if they have legit credits? Contact that writers reps, etc?

I see stuff I've had in my scripts on TV and Film all the time, but 99.9% of the time it isn't stolen, but just ideas are in the air... and some jokes and storylines if you go that way, sort of go a certain way...

Comment

Working...
                  X