Doing well in too many contests is a red flag for reps?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doing well in too many contests is a red flag for reps?

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
    For the record, I don't care about contests, and I've never entered the Nichol. My scripts would not do well there.

Since you haven't entered and don't know for sure how your scripts would do, this is all speculation anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      Just let me know if i'm one of the people you're talking about. i want to put it in my day planner.

Yes, you. Definitely you.

I'm trying to punch up your insult for you. I think "I want to put it in my diary" works better.

Better still "I want to bring it up in my next therapy session."

You're welcome.

Comment

1. Are we best friends?
        2. Are we best best friends?

Comment

Originally posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post

You got me.

You know they say that there's no such thing as a 'Nichol' script, and the readers are just as open to any genre as they are to quirky indie dramadies and SERIOUS SUBJECTS, but I don't buy it. They have to say that.

But I have entered other contests, just not the Nichol. So I know what I'm talking about.

Last year one of my scripts was in the top 75 of the TB Launchpad Feature contest.

Not only have I never mentioned that to anyone in the business, I'm actually a little embarrassed by it.

Any accolade with the word 'Top' followed by a number over 25 just says DISTANT LOSER.

Comment

Next time try entering the Nicholl. It's more well know than the Nichol.

Comment

"I sent scripts in to the Nicholl, and some were quarterfinalists, some were semifinalists, and some never made it that far. I wrote 10 scripts before I finally sold my first screenplay. That was Little Miss Sunshine. I sent it off to Nicholl, and it didn't even make the first cut.- - Michael Arndt

Comment

Since you haven't entered and don't know for sure how your scripts would do, this is all speculation anyway.

But I would say the writer whose scripts NEVER place has a better chance than the one who quarters every year but never finals.

History is written by the outliers.

Keep in mind that the readers who judge these things will tell you that the overwhelming majority of scripts are TERRIBLE, and the fact that Nichol readers actually have to come up with 350 'finalists' out of that pool of terrible scripts must be a mission impossible.

But if you are one of those people who are good at writing scripts that readers respond to, and you can't make the jump from the top 350 to the top 50 in 10 years, you are like a career minor league baseball player.

Nothing wrong with that. It beats working in a hardware store, but you'll never be a pro.

For the record, I don't care about contests, and I've never entered the Nichol. My scripts would not do well there.

I was just putting Jake Wagner's comments into context. And he is bit of a dick, as I assume 90% of people in Hollywood are.
                Gotcha...

But, I actually have entered 2 scripts in Nicholl. Both of these scripts had already gone out and done fairly well for me around town (Got signed. Got many generals. Offered a job from a big name producer). Neither script made it past the 1st round. Dead. Also, I had a short fling with a Nicholl judge (who will not be named) and she read one and explained why she thought it didn't do well in Nicholl (off the record). Basically, not small enough, too dark/violent.

So, I did test my theory. While the results didn't super matter to me (I was already signed, was already developing a show) it was interesting to learn that neither script did anything in Nicholl. Not scientific. But, I wasn't gonna waste years reentering the same script to learn if it was just bad timing.

Not that Nicholl is a bad thing in my mind. I just believe they have a specific thing they're looking to praise. Which happens to not be my genre/style.

But, yeah, same... I pretty much assume everyone in this town is a d!ck.
                Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
                  "I sent scripts in to the Nicholl, and some were quarterfinalists, some were semifinalists, and some never made it that far. I wrote 10 scripts before I finally sold my first screenplay. That was Little Miss Sunshine. I sent it off to Nicholl, and it didn't even make the first cut.- - Michael Arndt
                  Surprising, but in a way, not. Even though that's EXACTLY what they're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post
                    Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                      Surprising, but in a way, not. Even though that's EXACTLY what they're looking for.
                      agreed. it is what they're looking for. Juno probably would've done well, too.

i also agree that if you don't make the top 10 or quarterfinals is doesn't mean your script isn't good-- it's reality.

one producer wants to make your script, one won't even give you the courtesy of letting you know once they read it, it's a pass.

and guess what? even if you get 8s and 9s on the black list, that **** can STILL be better. one person's 8 is another person's 6.

facts.
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

The one that's surprising is the script My Girl. It didn't even make it to the Quarterfinals, but sold for a lot of money a short while later. I would think that was the type of script they are looking for. A dramedy tear jerker with a lot of heart and only a few characters.

I read in another thread that someone said they won one of the categories in a major contest, but didn't get any bites. I just don't think it's like "you take this step, then go on to this next step etc." like an engineer or doctor does. I am a fan of these big contests, but realize that it's not an exact science like becoming a doctor or lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                          agreed. it is what they're looking for. Juno probably would've done well, too.

i also agree that if you don't make the top 10 or quarterfinals is doesn't mean your script isn't good-- it's reality.

one producer wants to make your script, one won't even give you the courtesy of letting you know once they read it, it's a pass.

and guess what? even if you get 8s and 9s on the black list, that **** can STILL be better. one person's 8 is another person's 6.

facts.
                          Agreed.

I've said before that on the same script from one producer I got "Disaster!!!", another producer "Amazing!!!" Guess which one offered me a job? You just never know how your stuff is gonna land or not and with whom or not. I've stopped trying to guess. Because I'm normally wrong.

And btw - I have had experiences where someone I would've assumed would hate my sh!t liked it. Example: Ashton Kutcher's company. Never in a million years would I think to send something dark and fukked up to them. They ended up wanting to attach. And to my surprise I was turning down other prodcos known for dark material. I just vibed with them, I believed they GOT IT the most and were the most serious about trying to make it. And we got REALLY close. They tried.

I think you always gotta go into each new submission with an open mind. Maybe no one likes it, or maybe you're surprised by who does.

Yep, most scripts could be made better IMO as well. I've read exactly 1 script in my entire life that I didn't believe could be made better. And that script's name is... Juno.

Did they change a word of it? Doubt it. Not that I believe it deserved an Oscar. But, it was definitely "DONE-DONE". Although, I did think, "how's this chick gonna write her way outta this? The voice is so specific, yet she's gotta move on from it. Does she actually know story yet, or is this luck?" She's done just fine obviously...

Comment

I did well in a big contest and got offer to get repped but I already sent out the same script and got my own offer to get repped... same month it happened... so what is the moral of that story?

Also what if it's like the NY Bestseller List. You can be on the bestseller list, Top 50 books, but maybe you only sell 800 books because it was a slow month, but you're still the top seller!

So you could win every contest with an okay script because all the other scripts that year weren't as good -- the quality much go up and down randomly. It's not always consistent. So that can also be a factor.

A winner one year doesn't have to be same quality as past winners. See The Oscars.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                              The one that's surprising is the script My Girl. It didn't even make it to the Quarterfinals, but sold for a lot of money a short while later. I would think that was the type of script they are looking for. A dramedy tear jerker with a lot of heart and only a few characters.

I read in another thread that someone said they won one of the categories in a major contest, but didn't get any bites. I just don't think it's like "you take this step, then go on to this next step etc." like an engineer or doctor does. I am a fan of these big contests, but realize that it's not an exact science like becoming a doctor or lawyer.
                              But what is the "major" contest? In my mind, there's Nicholl and that's it. You're not getting much traction from anything else. Maaaaaybe Austin, but you have to win that one--and in a category that people give a sh!t about (I was a finalist in the spec TV category and got not one single f*ck from anyone.) If you're a finalist in Nicholl, that will get you some attention (as I understand, you'll get invited to events/parties that are hosted by the Academy--someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

The only other two that I think are even worth entering are Tracking-Board and Trackingb. If you're a finalist in either one of those, you'll get read by a handful of legit managers (and some agents), and you'll likely get signed. I was a finalist in one of them as well, and that led to my current rep situation.

All the other ones are horsesh!t.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                                But what is the "major" contest? In my mind, there's Nicholl and that's it. You're not getting much traction from anything else. Maaaaaybe Austin, but you have to win that one--and in a category that people give a sh!t about (I was a finalist in the spec TV category and got not one single f*ck from anyone.) If you're a finalist in Nicholl, that will get you some attention (as I understand, you'll get invited to events/parties that are hosted by the Academy--someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

The only other two that I think are even worth entering are Tracking-Board and Trackingb. If you're a finalist in either one of those, you'll get read by a handful of legit managers (and some agents), and you'll likely get signed. I was a finalist in one of them as well, and that led to my current rep situation.

All the other ones are horsesh!t.
                                what kind of script, tone & genre, was your finalist? i'm interested if there are "types" that do well in either of those contests.

thanks,
                                FA4
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X