Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: African Americans Sue 'The Bachelor' Producers for Racial Discrimination

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
    It was on "The Jenny Jones Show" which was one of those lame ...
    I stand corrected. It was indeed a daytime talk show, not actually reality program. I confuse the two because I dislike both formats.

Re: the lawsuit, perhaps it has merit. Hard to say. It's the world we live in.
    We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
      Who hasn't ****ed a Kardashian?
      That's easy: White guys

Comment

Originally posted by Hilander View Post
        Will those of you claiming racism admit to the possibility that the reasons for rejection could other than racial bias?
        Then how do you explain that in 10 yrs. of the reality series, there's never been a non-white Bachelor/Bachelorette????

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Rasta View Post
          Then how do you explain that in 10 yrs. of the reality series, there's never been a non-white Bachelor/Bachelorette????
          How do you explain that in 10 years there's never been a non-white male or any woman as the star of a "Jackass" movie?

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
            heard an interesting - but i guess in retrospect obvious - analysis of this today - that the success of THE BACHELOR is presenting a complete level of fantasy/unreality. the issue with putting black men on the show is not that black men are not a fantasy (ahem) but that diverse races living in close quarters and "competition" would inevitably bring up something real, like race - and its the "something real" that the shows are completely unable to deal with or fulfill. it would radically change the fantasy brand to institute any kind of reality. btw, latinos and asians are also completely absent from the show.
            this isn't even my fave tv race story of the day. that has got to be "what really bothers me that in "precious" there is no representation of ME".
            That's the best post so far in this thread.

You can have Flavor Flav and Omarosa on "reality" shows, but the level of cartoonish buffoonery and stereotyping would have to be cut waaaaaaaaaay down for something like The Bachelor.

And like meemee said, why haven't they gone with an all-black (or Asian) Bachelor or Bachelorette? What was the number one movie this weekend? Plus you get to keep the cartoonish buffoonery and stereotyping!

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
              And like meemee said, why haven't they gone with an all-black (or Asian) Bachelor or Bachelorette? What was the number one movie this weekend? Plus you get to keep the cartoonish buffoonery and stereotyping!
              yeah, they did this with those "Housewifes of..." crap. they stereotype the flavors of each city and voila, Atlanta gets to be all ghetto black with one token/not so bright white woman... kinda like real life lol!

Comment

African Americans sue 'The Bachelor' Producers...

The title sounds like "they" lol i'm just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by odocoileus View Post
                  You can still discriminate as much as you want, against whomever you want, as long as you're careful about it. These producers appear to have not given a f*ck.
                  John August had an interesting discussion of his experience casting for a TV show of his.

To quote:

Both roles are marked “PLEASE SUBMIT ALL ETHNICITIES.” From experience, I can tell you that if you don’t do that, you only end up with white people

URL=http://johnaugust.com/2005/two-sides-to-the-story
                  Casting agents I've spoken to have similar tales of woe - they can't in good concious take on more ethnic actors because there simply isn't the roles for them. That isn't to say there aren't ANY roles - obviously there are. And obviously there are a supply of ethnic actors. But, in their experience, simply being non-white reduces the number of possible roles dramatically.

Of course, things may be different in other people's experiences - this is only with the 3 or 4 acting agencies I've spoken to on the subject.

Mac
                  New blogposts:
                  *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                  *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                  *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                  *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

ABC-TV's lawyers plan to use the First Amendment to back their racism & discrimination against people-of-color on The Bachelor/Bachelorette. I got one word: FAIL!!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...endment-332624

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                      I watched The Bachelor a few seasons ago where they had a guy who they kept presenting as a screenwriter. Anytime he'd be on screen, it'd say "Frank -- screenwriter." He'd said he went to Paris for a month, just to write scripts and hang out. It sounded very Hemingway-esque, romantic. But he was nowhere to be found on imbd or the like. He probably mentioned it was a hobby of his during casting and it was the only "interesting/different" thing about him, so that's the angle they played up.

I felt bad for the guy. I could imagine a thousand clueless friends/relatives contacting him after the show ended, asking when he was moving to Hollywood and how much cash he was raking in, writing scripts. Oy.
                      Someone should have told him that the type of women (f***bunnies, if you want an vulgar term) who go on that...show aren't interested in guys who can write. There was an ep of "Studio 60" that noted that fact.
                      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Rasta View Post
                        ABC-TV's lawyers plan to use the First Amendment to back their racism & discrimination against people-of-color on The Bachelor/Bachelorette. I got one word: FAIL!!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...endment-332624
                        Sounds like a really short-sighted strategy. They're basically saying "yeah, we discriminate, but we have the right to." This reads like something that would tarnish their image even if they win the suit.
                        what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

so a couple of nights ago i spotted 2 new dating shows* -- can't remember the name, but they're throwing the race cards out the window.

*one with 24 women and one dood who tries to impress them
                          and one with 4 celebrity bachelors in those chairs from The Voice and women try to impress them w/only their voice.

if i were the ABC lawyers i would work out a settlement agreement to get these 2 guys on the first show... and shut them up.

Comment

Working...
                          X