No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Quest - Scott Myers - Contest/Course

http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...tml#more-25230

Scott Myers is offering up to 4 writers a free, 6-month intensive course in screenwriting.

However, it's not really free because you must agree that he can attach as Producer on the script you write during the course.

He usually charges $1995 for this course.

Assuming the course is worth $1995, is that an even trade for the value he gains by being a Producer.

I've read any non A-list attachments hurt a script.

Is he an A-list attachment? Would he bring so much added value to your script beyond $1995?

He is only looking for high-concept loglines.

If a writer can come up with a high-concept logline on their own, are they better off writing the script on their own and trying to query reps with it?

Or, is he offering a great, one of a kind opportunity?

Thanks.

Re: The Quest - Scott Myers - Contest/Course

i love Scott's website but the attachment condition is a dealbreaker for me. and if, presumably, i'm at the point in my writing that i could come up with a saleable concept and execute that concept in a draft that would be good enough for Scott to attach himself and take out, i don't know that i need to be in this program to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      i love Scott's website but the attachment condition is a dealbreaker for me. and if, presumably, i'm at the point in my writing that i could come up with a saleable concept and execute that concept in a draft that would be good enough for Scott to attach himself and take out, i don't know that i need to be in this program to do that.
      What Joe said.

Scott Myers is a really nice, positive guy. This sounds like a good program for someone new to screenwriting who hasn't taken many classes and has finished one, maybe two scripts. For someone at that level, it sounds like a fair trade. I have a friend who finished one script but over the past two years, has tried to finish other scripts and gets stuck at the 40-page mark. I'm recommending she throw her hat in the ring.

For the writers' sake, I wish he wouldn't make the condition that he's attached as producer. Rather, how about a 10% cut if the script is sold? Something like that so his attachment doesn't hurt a project if it's viable.

Comment

This sounds like a good program for someone new to screenwriting who hasn't taken many classes and has finished one, maybe two scripts. For someone at that level, it sounds like a fair trade. I have a friend who finished one script but over the past two years, has tried to finish other scripts and gets stuck at the 40-page mark. I'm recommending she throw her hat in the ring.
        That.

You send him a logline and if you're picked he's going to work with you over the course of six months to develop a screenplay.

If you're new, need writing help, need the connections etc... ,unless you think you can do better on your own, what do you have to lose?

Unfortunately, I don't think my zombie epic is his cup 'o tea.
        Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

what is his cup of tea?

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
            what is his cup of tea?
            I get the idea he's looking for a potential high-concept studio movie, a comedy like MEET THE PARENTS or LIAR, LIAR. Or, a contained thriller. Or just a good thriller. High concept is the phrase he repeated a few times. SNAKES ON A PLANE.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
              what is his cup of tea?
              If it's oolong, I'm in good shape. If not, I'm hoping he leans toward green.

Comment

If you're relatively new and recognize that you have a lot to learn, this is probably a fantastic opportunity.

Odds are that nothing will happen with the next script you write, anyway. Why not have a professional writer guide you through the process FOR FREE? Worst case scenario is that, again, nothing happens with your script. Even if that's the case, you will still learn a ton, which you'll be able to apply to the next script.

I don't see how a newer writer could lose out on this deal.
                QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                  If you're relatively new and recognize that you have a lot to learn, this is probably a fantastic opportunity.

Odds are that nothing will happen with the next script you write, anyway. Why not have a professional writer guide you through the process FOR FREE? Worst case scenario is that, again, nothing happens with your script. Even if that's the case, you will still learn a ton, which you'll be able to apply to the next script.

I don't see how a newer writer could lose out on this deal.
                  Or even an older one. Like me.

(I'm totally tossing my hat in the ring here. I'd be a fool not to.)

Comment

Wow. Nothing to say, Knaight? Nothing at all. No pithy rejoinders? I'm surprised.

Comment

Too busy writing to be pithy!

Comment

Knaight says, "If you're relatively new and recognize that you have a lot to learn, this is probably a fantastic opportunity.-

-- This is a fantastic opportunity for any writer at any level whose looking for a break. Why do writers enter contests like the Nicholl, Austin, Tracking Board, Page, etc.?

Granted, with the Scott Meyers opportunity, unlike contests, you gotta spend 6 months taking his course (free) and writing the first draft of your script, but this could be a good opportunity also.

Once you make the commitment, it'll force you to write that script and not procrastinate. You'll be giving and receiving ongoing feedback with the other 3 selected writers as you go along to help get your script strong and at a professional level. And most importunately, anyone who says he has nothing more to learn is a fool.

Would I have liked to have seen this opportunity from an "A- list writer whom possesses some powerful juice in the industry? Sure, but if someone, no matter how relevant, is willing to use his contacts in the industry to get you a manager and/or agent and try to get your script set up to be produced, you gotta take advantage of the opportunity.

When it comes to breaking in, it's tough. You can't be lackadaisical for whatever excuse you can think of. I suggest you take advantage of every route possible.

From what Scott Meyers posted, it seems like he's looking for high concept loglines only. Any genres, as long as it's high concept, but mainly I believe he's favoring, such genres as: Action, Comedy and Thriller, especially Action Comedy that has franchise potential.

Any writer is welcomed to submit even if you have an agent as long as you're not a WGA member. And it doesn't matter if the script's already written. Just look at it as a possible page one rewrite.

You're allowed to submit as many loglines as you wish, but make sure they're high concept and email only the title (if there is one) and a concise logline, nothing more.

DO NOT send him any loglines until Tuesday, May 29, 2012. They'll be accepted up to June 8.

After the six months, Scott will choose which script is worth continuing on with him working with the writer as a producer. It could be none, one or all four. Depends if he feels there's something marketable to go out with.

I believe Scott's motivation for doing this is two-fold:

1. To have an opportunity to work as a producer on a script that he's passionate about.

2. To bring attention to his Screenwriting Master Class course, which is $2,000. Pretty hefty. He's gonna need to have a success with either getting a writer an agent and/or getting it setup to be produced to get people to shell out this kind of money.

As for me, I'm sending my logline for "Super Skunk-, but just in case you guys are right about how this premise sucks, I'm also sending two other high concept loglines.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                          Knaight says, "If you're relatively new and recognize that you have a lot to learn, this is probably a fantastic opportunity.-

-- This is a fantastic opportunity for any writer at any level whose looking for a break. Why do writers enter contests like the Nicholl, Austin, Tracking Board, Page, etc.?

Granted, with the Scott Meyers opportunity, unlike contests, you gotta spend 6 months taking his course (free) and writing the first draft of your script, but this could be a good opportunity also.

Once you make the commitment, it'll force you to write that script and not procrastinate. You'll be giving and receiving ongoing feedback with the other 3 selected writers as you go along to help get your script strong and at a professional level. And most importunately, anyone who says he has nothing more to learn is a fool.

Would I have liked to have seen this opportunity from an "A- list writer whom possesses some powerful juice in the industry? Sure, but if someone, no matter how relevant, is willing to use his contacts in the industry to get you a manager and/or agent and try to get your script set up to be produced, you gotta take advantage of the opportunity.

When it comes to breaking in, it's tough. You can't be lackadaisical for whatever excuse you can think of. I suggest you take advantage of every route possible.

From what Scott Meyers posted, it seems like he's looking for high concept loglines only. Any genres, as long as it's high concept, but mainly I believe he's favoring, such genres as: Action, Comedy and Thriller, especially Action Comedy that has franchise potential.

Any writer is welcomed to submit even if you have an agent as long as you're not a WGA member. And it doesn't matter if the script's already written. Just look at it as a possible page one rewrite.

You're allowed to submit as many loglines as you wish, but make sure they're high concept and email only the title (if there is one) and a concise logline, nothing more.

DO NOT send him any loglines until Tuesday, May 29, 2012. They'll be accepted up to June 8.

After the six months, Scott will choose which script is worth continuing on with him working with the writer as a producer. It could be none, one or all four. Depends if he feels there's something marketable to go out with.

I believe Scott's motivation for doing this is two-fold:

1. To have an opportunity to work as a producer on a script that he's passionate about.

2. To bring attention to his Screenwriting Master Class course, which is $2,000. Pretty hefty. He's gonna need to have a success with either getting a writer an agent and/or getting it setup to be produced to get people to shell out this kind of money.

As for me, I'm sending my logline for "Super Skunk-, but just in case you guys are right about how this premise sucks, I'm also sending two other high concept loglines.
                          I actually think one of Scott's biggest motivations -- if not THE biggest -- is simply to help new writers. And that's why I said this would be great for newer writers, because I get the impression that he's seeking out people who are relatively new to the craft and who show a lot of promise.

People who are already repped, writing top notch scripts, and who have lots of contacts wouldn't benefit from a free course like this one as much as somebody without those things.

I never said I don't have a lot to learn. There's a ton of room for me to improve, and I hope I'll always continue to move forward. But it wouldn't make a lot of sense for me to apply for this course, and I think it'd be unfair to newer writers who could get more out of it.

Comment

I was unsure of this thing, and started poking around the site, reading his "Quest" thingie...

I came across this: "Format should never... never... NEVER get in the way of the story. Whatever you need to do to tell your story in the most entertaining way possible, that's what you should feel free to do. That's my opinion, literalists be damned."

I like that. I think I'm gonna throw out a couple of loglines, see what happens.

HH

Comment

Knaight says, "I think it'd be unfair to newer writers who could get more out of it."

-- The hell with that! I'm no Mother Teresa. I'm not gonna roll over to give a new writer a free pass. If a writer wants this opportunity, he's gonna have to earn it with a storng and compelling high concept and a strong writing sample.

If a writer, new or experience, had any pride, he would want it no other way.

Comment

Working...
                              X