Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: QT's List Of Faves Since 1992

I wasn't blown away by the Sixth Sense like everyone else, but I championed Unbreakable when it originally came out. I couldn't bear to watch it ever again though. It is deadly dull on repeat viewings. As it was among my first DVD purchases, I've seen it plenty.

Of course M Night then grew an ego the size of a supernova and became a permanently terrible director on his very next movie.

Comment

Regarding what I've seen...

Anything Else - A failure as a comedy, but as a drama about being in a relationship with an emotional abusive woman, it got it exactly right.

Blade - Miserably awful film.

Boogie Nights - One of the great American masterpieces.

Dazed & Confused - Very good.

Fight Club - Revolutionary. The only time I've wanted to go see a film again on the same day.

The Insider - Excellent, very relevant film.

Lost In Translation - Very good.

The Matrix - Fun, and very influential (in that it got everyone to start stealing from Asian cinema).

Shaun of the Dead - Excellent genre-bender.

Speed - Well done.

Team America - Entertaining.

Unbreakable - Mediocre and over-directed.

Only Boogie Nights, Fight Club and The Insider would be on my best-of list for that time period.

Comment

I think the Blade QT's referring to is this.
        "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
        -Maya Angelou

Comment

Unbreakable is a fatally underrated masterpiece. It takes a few viewings to really understand it...so add one on for me. It's arguably Shyamalan's best film...though lately, that isn't saying much...

Comment

I agree with snwrist about UNBREAKABLE.
            Ralphy's Fvcking Blog

"
            Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
              I'm sure I'm not the only one whose reaction to Lost in Translation was a jaw-breaking yawn.
              For some depressing reason, I can identify myself with Bill Murray's character very well... and I'm not even remotely as old as he is. Overall, I think the movie has a nice love story, believable characters and it is quietly told, mostly without clishés. In fact one of my favorite movies of the recent past.

As for UNBREAKABLE, I didn't like it that much, especially after having seen THE SIXTH SENSE which has by far been the superior movie, in my humble opinion.

Jason Biggs' Anything Else? Possibly one of the 5 worst woody allen movies of all time?
              My thoughts exactly. Why couldn't he go for MATCH POINT or SCOOP?

Summing things up: You can't argue about taste, I suppose.
              Jesus, if this guy owned a funeral parlor nobody would die!

Comment

I'm surprised OLDBOY wasn't on his list. He was gushing over that movie when he saw it at Cannes.

Comment

I think Unbreakable is pretty silly. What's with that end credit?

CG Titles reading "PS: The bad guy got in trouble." ?

And I agree that Lost In Translation got boring. Started out okay, but the last 2/3 was way uneven.

That said, I'm sure Quentin could name 50 other solid movies for his list if he got rolling. The guy's an encyclopedia.

Comment

Originally posted by jkk808 View Post
                    Jason Biggs' Anything Else? Possibly one of the 5 worst woody allen movies of all time?
                    I think it's less entry than a test to make sure people are paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                    X