Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• say you query...

...a particular agent or manager at a large firm, because they seem to work with writers whose work (you hope) your work resembles...

if the agent/manager requests the script, does s/he then send it to a pool of readers -- the same pool to evaluate scripts, regardless of the agent/mgr queried?

or

would the agent/mgr pass it along to their own assistant to read (or if they are lowly enough -- read it themselves)?

i'm thinking agency/mgmt practices vary, but was wondering what about the standard practice.

thanks for any insight!

Re: say you query...

The typical agent at a bigger agency will submit the script for coverage.

It all depends, though.

I've had specific agents at bigger agencies read my work themselves and I've had awesome referrals from people you'd think would get the agent's attention only to see my script be directed to a "reader."

There's no way you can predict what will happen with yours - just send it and hope for the best.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

This brough up a curious question for me... (sorry)

I know that in something, such as modeling, you don't want to be at the same agency as someone who is similar to you because it means that you will be in competition with each other.

Would an agent really be interested in having multiple clients with similar work? I mean, not similar genre, but similar style?

Just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
        The typical agent at a bigger agency will submit the script for coverage.

It all depends, though.

I've had specific agents at bigger agencies read my work themselves and I've had awesome referrals from people you'd think would get the agent's attention only to see my script be directed to a "reader."

There's no way you can predict what will happen with yours - just send it and hope for the best.
        This is exactly what is happening with me now. Through a phone call, a name mention, etc. for the star's agent at a really big agency, the script was finally accepted and read. It was then sent out for coverage as said above. It is recent, so I know nothing yet. The *supposed* plan is to give the script to the star to read *if* the coverage comes back good.

A long shot, as we all know, but still to get one of the big three to even read the script and then send it out for coverage is one of the tiny steps along the way on a big journey. I am ashamed to say that I sound like an excited newbie even though I do have a feature in production as writer, but that one is an indie script and if this deal goes through (million to one, I figure) it takes me to a whole different level.

But, I digress, yes, the big agencies do send the scripts out for coverage.

Comment

big agencies do send the scripts out for coverage
          This is also my experience and they stay on a database. I had a meeting at William Morris over a year after the script was covered. The agent hadn't read the script and pulled out the coverage as we were meeting. Luckily it was marked 'consider' although he now works for a prod. co.
          Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
          Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

Working...
          X