No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess who screenwritingcompass is...

I say Colin O'Reilly.

Re: Guess who screenwritingcompass is...

There's an interview with O'Reilly that contradicts some of what compass says...maybe he is, maybe he isn't...whoever he is he'll eventually be unmasked...they always are.

Comment

Interview with scompass here:

http://theworkingscreenwriter.blogsp...w-agent-x.html
      Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
      Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

I don't get the whole anonymous thing...I've read hundreds of interviews with agents and managers who use their real names and are just as upfront as this guy. Unless he starts trashtalking other agents and writers and executives or gives us top secret industry information there doesn't seem to be any reason for his mask. It's just another gimmick.

Comment

So is the dude an agent or a manager? Why did I have it in my head that he was a manager - yet it's all over the Vines interview that he's an agent. If he were a manager, figuring out his identity would have been fun.....not quite as fun if he's an agent, though.

Comment

As long he/she keeps writing an interesting blog I dont care who they are.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
              As long he/she keeps writing an interesting blog I dont care who they are.

EJ
              What's so interesting? So far his blog hasn't told us anything that any other blog hasn't already told us...even blogs from unproduced writers preach the same stuff...I'm still waiting for the stuff that makes his anonymity worthwhile.

If he were a manager, figuring out his identity would have been fun.....not quite as fun if he's an agent, though.
              Why not as much fun??

Comment

You are right, I should go back and edit my post and use the word "potentially interesting"...

EJ

Comment

Give the guy a break. If he wants to remain anonymous then that's his business.

The vast majority of people here use anonymous names and remain private about who they are, so he if wants to do the same then fine. Worry about more important issues.
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Chill, Will.

It's not like the Uni-bomber investigation or anything.

We're just speculating and having a little fun figuring out just who was that masked man.

I think managers have more distinctive personalities than many agents since agents at the larger agencies seem quicker to adopt the agency party line, at least on the surface.

Managers can afford to be more distinctive in their opinions, I guess, which would have made figuring out who compass is more plausible if he were a manager.

If he's an agent the task is not as interesting or attainable to me because he'll probably just keep toeing the agency party line and not offer up any truly distinctive or identifiable opionions.

Comment

I'm totally chilled. Thanks. And I'm more than aware about agents & managers.

But trying to guess someone's name is not respecting their privacy; particularly when you do it publicly. So be cool.
                      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-04-2008, 08:33 AM.
                      Will
                      Done Deal Pro
                      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by kidcharlemagne View Post
                        Stop writing personal stories. No one cares about those except you. Get your foot in the door and write a commercial script, then once you have made your career, then go off and do the indie script you have been wanting to write since the beginning. Also, read scripts that have SOLD. There are several resources on the Net that you can download scripts.
                        His advice sometimes contradict a lot of other pros. I've been told many times to write screenplays about what I know well...

Oh well. I don't even know anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by cupertinoCA View Post
                          His advice sometimes contradict a lot of other pros. I've been told many times to write screenplays about what I know well...

What I think s/he means is don't write exactly about what you and your friends did one time or another.

For example, let's say you and your buddies went fishing one time and you guys had the time of your lives. So you write about it, exactly how it went down.

To you and your buddies, that's awesome. But to people who don't know you or weren't there . . . they'll probably say, "So what?"

But let's say you know everything there is to know about fishing. So now you make up a story with an awesome concept that involves fishing that the millions of fishermen out there can relate to and get into.

So now you're writing about what you know (fishing in this case) but in an interesting way that will make people want to see your story.

I don't know why I picked fishing but I hope I'm clear. I think this is what screenwritingcompass means.

Corona
                          I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                          I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Originally posted by Jcorona View Post
                            What I think s/he means is don't write exactly about what you and your friends did one time or another.

For example, let's say you and your buddies went fishing one time and you guys had the time of your lives. So you write about it, exactly how it went down.

To you and your buddies, that's awesome. But to people who don't know you or weren't there . . . they'll probably say, "So what?"

But let's say you know everything there is to know about fishing. So now you make up a story with an awesome concept that involves fishing that the millions of fishermen out there can relate to and get into.

So now you're writing about what you know (fishing in this case) but in an interesting way that will make people want to see your story.

I don't know why I picked fishing but I hope I'm clear. I think this is what screenwritingcompass means.

Corona
                            Now if you and your fishing buddies caught a sea monster....
                            http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cupertinoCA View Post

The old saying of "write what you know" is misleading, I feel. What really should be said is "know what you write about." How many people have been in outerspace? A tiny few. Yet, how many films (and TV shows, etc.) have we seen made on the subject or set there? Tons. No matter what subject you write about, pretty much, you as the writer should try to know all you can about it so you can tell the best story possible.

If you are going to write about the Wild West, then read up on it. Study the history. Study what people's lives where like then, etc. Again, "know" about what you are writing about.

When someone recommends you don't write personal stories, for the most part they are saying, don't simply write about you and friends sitting around having lunch together because that's what you know. Have a story to tell. Try to have a point to make along with having a unique point of view. That's all.

If you have a really great story in mind about someone fighting in WWI, then terrific. Write it. But since you didn't live during that time or most likely fight during that war, then take the time to "know" all you can about it before you start writing. Research your story. Try to interview people who do know about it so you can get some sense of what it was really like.
                              Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-04-2008, 11:23 AM.
                              Will
                              Done Deal Pro
                              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                              X