X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ScriptShadow Top 25 Announced!

Originally posted by maralyn View Post
    This is getting boring wilson.

Hurry up, when are you announcing the winners?

I'm just DYYYYYYYYYING to read these scripts.

Hey, maybe I can review some of them. Oh, no need. I'm sure others will be doing a quick enough job of that.
    It seems like you're trying to make a point or something. That much is clear.

Comment

I don't think this is going to end well sinnycal. Not for anyone who 's name is on carsons contest list anyway.

I'd be worried about what they're going to say about my script that may force me to change my name before being able to have a script read anywhere ever again.

The winners will be more of carsons collateral damage.

You can't defend him for what he's doing.

Comment

People are getting legitimate script request just from the loglines posted, but you've somehow convinced yourself that, ominously, no good will come from this?

It'd be one thing if you were making an argument. That I could sink my teeth into and reject on its probable lack of merit. But I'm not sure that what you're doing could be construed as making an argument.

Comment

I know, that's why I think carson should open his eyes and sort this out. Before more backlash. Little bloggers everywhere will be poking fun at him.

Those script requests won't mean anything, because of the backlash at carson's grotesque reviews.

You think a little blog can do damage, wait till you see what the writing community as a whole can achieve.

fff

I like you sinnycal. Sometimes you say funny things. Like how three prostitutes are more fun than screenwriting.

I don't want to see you go down the gurgler with carson.

His.... name ..... will......... be...... mud.

Get the hell out of this competition.

Comment

Now I know what it would be like to see a vampire at a car crash...
            "Only nothing is impossible."
            - Grant Morrison

Comment

And maralyn officially becomes the first person on my ignore list.
              For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
              Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

We can have an ignore list here? Hell, all of you people are gone! It's just me and my explosions and my talking heads scene!

- Bill (could have e-mailed my script the day the top 25 were announced, but waited until today) (not a chance in hell I'll even get close to the top pick or have anyone request my script, too upbeat and fun-filled)
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Anyway, it's Carson who needs to clean this up. Wilson?

In their blogs they seem to mention that they're open to discussing this with you.

Comment

Maralyn, I confess to not really following the whole SS logline thing, but if writers WANT to post their logs and make their scripts available for both criticism from Wilson and / or general viewership, that is their decision and they should act upon it at their own risk. And we should respect that decision.

I think where a lot of us had problems was the fact that unproduced scripts were being reviewed publicly without approval by the writers. Some examples were given about this premature exposure being detrimental to a writer's career, however for most of us who were against this practice, it was primarily a matter of writers respecting writers. The argument that some put forth that a blog could cause undue damage to careers and even halt production on a film was not the most convincing aspect of the debate in my opinion, even though this does seem to have happened in some cases. But generally speaking, it was more about decency than copyright law or any such thing.

In life there are a lot of things that are legally permissible but ethically questionable. And it's in the heart of that grey area that a lot of problems tend to occur.

In a business where writers are often regarded and treated as doormats, if WRITERS can't respect fellow writers, then where the hell are we headed?

That to me was the biggest beef.

That said, if people want to post their high-concept loglines on a public forum, well then, honestly, do so at your own risk.... although personally I think it's a terrible idea.

Doesn't Terry Elliot say in one of his columns that the time to protect your work is BEFORE YOU WRITE IT? This too me is sound advice... that falls on a lot of (naive) deaf ears...

Personally, I think Wilson is a good guy and I've really enjoyed his reviews, I like his style and I learn something from his critiques. But I've stopped reading them since this is whole debacle, out of respect for fellow scribes. Yeah it's a little juicer reading hot, talk-of-the-town specs than it is to read produced scripts, but the same reviewing technique could be applied to the latter and the same lessons could be learned.

(I should add that personally, I don't read a lot of scripts, one or two and you get the gist of things, to me it's more useful to watch movies I like and try to understand what made them attractive and successful).

I just always come back to: how would I feel if my spec was circulating? Especially in a vastly, inferior early draft? Well, personally, I would hate that.

Carry on, everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                      I think where a lot of us had problems was the fact that unproduced scripts were being reviewed publicly without approval by the writers. Some examples were given about this premature exposure being detrimental to a writer's career, however for most of us who were against this practice, it was primarily a matter of writers respecting writers. The argument that some put forth that a blog could cause undue damage to careers and even halt production on a film was not the most convincing aspect of the debate in my opinion, even though this does seem to have happened in some cases. But generally speaking, it was more about decency than copyright law or any such thing.
                      I am not trying to re-open this can of worms, but Rantanplan pretty much sums up my major issue with what Carson is (was) doing.

He claims he wants to help writers... But at the same time, he uses whatever it takes to get ahead of other writers to promote his own "skills" -- Whatever those may be? Script consultant? Development Head?

I would like it if Carson volunteered some of his OWN work to be deconstructed and dissected by the masses.

He claimed (in not so many words) in the past he is a better writer than most on DD, and those who are writing movies right now. Bold claim, so, I think it is time to put up, or shut up.

But again, this is what bothers me most. Carson appears willing to step on others writers... Not just by reviewing works in progress... But the whole website / blog thing in the hopes of bi-passing the trenches a lot of us pay our dues in with cold querying, contests, generating our own leads, etc.

If Carson's scripts are that good... Then he shouldn't need to step on other writers to get to the top.

He should be doing what the majority of us are doing and EARN his way to the top like everyone else. With his screenwriting. Not his blogging about screenwriting. I would respect him and what he is doing a lot more if this were the case.

This also leads me to the fact he has no formal credits, training or experience I am aware of.

So, it baffles me why so many listen to what he has to say. Again, if he has all of this background, then I haven't heard about it and I would be more willing to cut him some slack if he were to list those up front.

I have no problem with competing with others in terms of quality of work. This is the name of the game. If you don't know that by now, you are in for a world of hurt.

What I don't like is when it appears someone is trying to not only bi-pass this entire process, but do so at the expense of other writers. It's ugly and is not going to endear Carson to the screenwriting world as much as he thinks.

Chris Lockheart on Two Adverbs also feels the same way.

Does Carson want to be a screenwriter? Or the next Perez Hilton?

As stated, if Carson's scripts are that good, he should concentrate on writing scripts instead of critiquing others WIPs and focus on his own career...

But since this appears to not be what he *really* wants this brings up some interesting questions I don't even have to ask that most of you can draw your own conclusions from.
                      Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

I made a voodoo doll with Carson's face (well, what I think his face looks like) and his little straw hand holding a tennis racket.

Every time I try to work a spell on him, his grin grows wider. At first I ignored him, but then last night, he stood on my dresser pointing that deadly tennis racket at me.

This morning, I go to the office, open my briefcase...
                        And there he was--sitting, cross-legged on my laptop, grinning at me, daring me to try something.

Frankly, he's scaring the sh1t out of me. He's pure evil.
                        Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

I don't have anything to add... but I'm posting anyway because I am TWO POSTS away from the 1000 marker!

Yoohooo!

More later.

Comment

And later means NOW: my 1000'th post! WOOHOO !

I wonder if this why I'm still stuck on page 20 of my new script ?

That's it, I'm not posting anymore, unless I really, REALLY have something fascinating to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                              That's it, I'm not posting anymore, unless I really, REALLY have something fascinating to say.

Do you realize the level of expectation you have now just set for all your subsequent posts?
                              "Only nothing is impossible."
                              - Grant Morrison

Comment

Rant? These silly outbursts are decidedly unlike you.

Before you know it, emoticons will start creeping into your posts. And then it's all over.

Comment

Working...
                                X