Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best books on producing?

Just curious if anyone can recommend any great books about producing films?

I'm working on getting the production started on my own film and would like to read up about the hardcore stuff like line item budgeting, distribution platforms, creative financing, revenue share models, and things like that.

My hope is to get the machine oiled so I can attract a more senior producer along the way who signs onto a project that already has momentum.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Merrick; 09-25-2019, 09:37 AM.

Re: Best books on producing?

A cursory internet search produced these results:

“10 Best Filmmaking Books to Read in 2019”

“Film Production Books You Need to Read — Top Ten List”

“Independent Film Producing: How to Produce a Low-Budget Feature Film”

“Film School on a Bookshelf: 15 Recommended Books for Aspiring (and Expert) Filmmakers”

Break a leg.

*EDITED TO ADD: Check out AbeBooks.com for used books on your subject.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 09-27-2019, 02:55 AM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Most everything I know comes from having worked for producers and directors on features or of late from helping indie directors & producers with their films.

But that said, these are older books I ended up with somehow, which should probably still help some; though surely there is info which is dated. For the overall price of each though, they could be worth a try. (Obviously, check out TigerFang's links too.)

https://www.amazon.com/Producing-Fin...9548941&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/So-You-Want-B...s%2C283&sr=8-1
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Read all the books you can. You're really trying to make an indie film so that will open up so many more books.

Been awhile since I read these (when I still had hopes and dreams to make my own stuff - but now I'm lazy as hell!)

Like writing or anything else, I read 100 books on these and haven't done it yet. Until you try to actually produce, only thing will you learn how to do it. Filmmaking you learn by doing. I just made myself depressed thinking back to me and college and where I am now. Oh boy...

https://www.amazon.com/Reel-Deal-Eve...9600355&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Produce-Your-...EF898V2K91ZDBH

Comment

A few years ago I wrote/directed/produced an 8-minute short hoping it would attract interest for the feature script (it did not). I had an absolute blast making it, total creative high, so I signed up for a seminar on how to produce indie films, thinking maybe I might want to try to produce the feature myself. And boy was that depressing. The guy who taught it had produced a talky indie romcom I liked a lot, but when he explained the process of begging for money, I realized that part was not for me. I really admire people who can do that.

That said, with all the different technological, distribution and fundraising options nowadays, maybe things have gotten easier, I don't know. I guess theoretically someone could shoot a feature on their iPhone, post it on YouTube, get millions of hits, sit back and wait for Hollywood to call.

Comment

I'm not even looking to be Kevin Smith anymore that way. I would like to make a feature film based on a script I wrote. I don't have to be director. But I'm tired of waiting for it to happen, so i got to get moving and make friends.

It's not the money as much as the desire...

Comment

Thanks all! Sorry for my delay in reply, work got heavy for a couple weeks.

I deal with contracts and financing (in part) in my other job, so it's not that daunting.

Did some internet searches earlier and found references of my own. I was just looking for personal recommendations, but I'm willing to read whatever if it gets me to the end goal of inspiring and understanding. I have no problem to jumpstart this myself, and wrapping my brain around technical business concepts is no issue at all.

I will check out the books (and links) recommended.

Not looking to do the lone gunman thing, but I realize if I start to lift this thing off the ground, it will get more and more attractive to established people.

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Just ordered 12 books on producing. Thanks all.

Comment

Even when he orders books he goes over the page count. Nice!

Comment

Haha, finally got me laughing on that one. Thanks man. Wound up getting 17 in total, actually. Waiting for em to come in.

Comment

"He laughs best that laughs last.- - Aesop's Fable The Heifer and the Ox

Comment

I highly recommend writers read as many books on production as they can, even just 1 or 2. It's already clear after 100 pages of a single book why and how producers make the decisions they do. And it would make any rejection less painful understanding that representing a film is a big and difficult commitment for a producer.

And for sure knowing production tools and techniques will enhance your writing.

My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
                            I highly recommend writers read as many books on production as they can, even just 1 or 2. It's already clear after 100 pages of a single book why and how producers make the decisions they do. And it would make any rejection less painful understanding that representing a film is a big and difficult commitment for a producer.

And for sure knowing production tools and techniques will enhance your writing.

My two cents.
                            Concur.

Comment

Not a book, but a really good resource is Todd Garner's Producer's Guide Podcast.

HTH,
                              Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
                              3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Working...
                              X