Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Hate Script Contests And So Should You

First of all, every little town in the USA these days either has a screenplay contest or a film festival. But, they all seem (including the BIG BOY contests) to have the same characteristics. As follows:

1) They all charge a placement fee - $25 to $95 (even higher with late fees)

2) They all take an average of 6 months to 1 year evaluation time. Guess
    your script gets in line with 5,000 to 15,000 worldwide screenplays. Ends up looking like a subjective beauty contest to me.

3) All the contests claim you script will be read by industry professionals (meaning - professional, perpetually staffed college interns).

4) Most all the contests now offer script coverage from industry professionals at anywhere between $95 to $950 fees. Add on extra fees for a phone call with the college intern writing your coverage report. Script coverage report reads like this: "I liked this part, these other parts suck!"

5) After 6 months to 1 year the day arrives to hand the screenplay contest awards. IF your script is still available then, the awards read like this: 5,000 quarterfinalists; 500 semifinalist (each receives a ticket to Lego Land); 50 finalist (each receives a used copy of Final Draft) and the overall single winner (a one on one phone call with an industry professional - the receptionist at Weinstein).

6) Despite the promotion by pro screenwriters, script consultants, screenwriting professors for screenwriters to enter contests to get your script out there in front of industry professionals (college interns), from here on out I'm gonna say, "No thanks."

~Authy

Re: Why I Hate Script Contests And So Should You

Originally posted by Authorized View Post
    First of all, every little town in the USA these days either has a screenplay contest or a film festival. But, they all seem (including the BIG BOY contests) to have the same characteristics. As follows:

1) They all charge a placement fee - $25 to $95 (even higher with late fees)

2) They all take an average of 6 months to 1 year evaluation time. Guess
    your script gets in line with 5,000 to 15,000 worldwide screenplays. Ends up looking like a subjective beauty contest to me.

3) All the contests claim you script will be read by industry professionals (meaning - professional, perpetually staffed college interns).

4) Most all the contests now offer script coverage from industry professionals at anywhere between $95 to $950 fees. Add on extra fees for a phone call with the college intern writing your coverage report. Script coverage report reads like this: "I liked this part, these other parts suck!"

5) After 6 months to 1 year the day arrives to hand the screenplay contest awards. IF your script is still available then, the awards read like this: 5,000 quarterfinalists; 500 semifinalist (each receives a ticket to Lego Land); 50 finalist (each receives a used copy of Final Draft) and the overall single winner (a one on one phone call with an industry professional - the receptionist at Weinstein).

6) Despite the promotion by pro screenwriters, script consultants, screenwriting professors for screenwriters to enter contests to get your script out there in front of industry professionals (college interns), from here on out I'm gonna say, "No thanks."

~Authy

Sounds pretty grim, for sure.

If you don't mind... have you won a contest or two (or semi-ed)? Have you entered a bunch? Just might help us to know your actual experience (though I assume it isn't merely heresay that prompted your comment.)

Thanks for sharing.

Anyone else have a similar opinion?

Comment

so don't enter

Comment

Uh, super helpful.

Comment

A lot of them are crap.

A handful are legit and have launched numerous careers.

Comment

Nicholl Fellowships, PAGE, Austin Film Festival and Final Draft Big Break are all worth entering.

Beyond that, OP has a point.

Comment

I agree that contests are a long shot and can get pricey, but they appear to be the best path for outsiders to break in.

Comment

ClintW3,

You don't consider Scriptapalooza or TrackingB worth entering?

Comment

TrackingB, maybe.
                  Not sure about the other.
                  But, that's just my opinion.

Comment

What about VP?
                    You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Anything you can do to get traction helps, and frankly, early-bird entry fees between $39-50 are very reasonable (IF, you have a hot script). I've used placements to help get query reads. But then, maybe it's my rockin' loglines (-hah!). All the best

Comment

I had multiple placements in a few contests (semifinalist or higher.) The traction really helped me in getting a great management team and setting up meetings with production companies.

Personal favs are Austin, ScreenCraft, The Tracking Board, and of course my own white whale - the Nicholl.

Comment

Originally posted by UneducatedFan View Post
                          What about VP?
                          What is VP?

Comment

Virtual Pitchfest.
                            http://www.virtualpitchfest.com
                            You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDodger View Post
                              I had multiple placements in a few contests (semifinalist or higher.) The traction really helped me in getting a great management team and setting up meetings with production companies.

Personal favs are Austin, ScreenCraft, The Tracking Board, and of course my own white whale - the Nicholl.
                              I'm gonna agree here. I've had multiple placements and it's definitely given me traction. Contests are legit. If you're not getting anything out of them, you're not entering/placing in the right ones. Caveat is, you have to capitalize on that traction. You need to form the relationships, but contests can get you in rooms.

I'll add PAGE to your list (and possibly remove Screencraft, but that's me).

Comment

Working...
                              X