Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New York Is Better Than LA

I get you. That's cool anyway. Definitely a lot to do there. There is an energy to the city but it boils down to personal preference, as you said. Probably best in doses for someone like me. That said a fortress somewhere in PV could be sweet. Maybe with a helicopter to fly to work though.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
      That said a fortress somewhere in PV could be sweet. Maybe with a helicopter to fly to work though.
      You are preaching to the choir.
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I live in a major East Coast city. I love LA. Eff NY.

Comment

Originally posted by kdmccaskill View Post
          Why doesn't Apple, Amazon or Netflix just buy up the 4 big NYC film studios?

Kaufman-Astoria, Steiner Studios, Silver Cup Studios, and Broadway Stages
          Because of New York taxes. They will never buy those studios.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
            That is an *insaaaaaaaaanely* good deal. $1650 p/m is market rate for a 360 sq foot studio in Los Feliz, assuming it comes with parking. A setup like you're describing could easily go for $3000+.

LA real estate has experienced seismic changes in the past decade or so. Whereas in 2008, Los Feliz was indeed half the price of Park Slope, the two neighborhoods are now nearly at parity.

Of course, if you live in Los Feliz, you can easily drive wherever you want, whereas if you live in Park Slope, well... god help you if you find yourself in Manhattan when there's service interruptions on Brooklyn-bound trains.

Like the song says, New York is a helluva town-- but it's no place for humans to live.
            I'm pleased to say that I was born there and grew up five minutes from the Bronx, and was in Manhattan virtually every weekend visiting relatives, going to the theatre and museums, and so on. Later on, in the '60s I lived in the Village and had some of the best times of my life there. But I also really love spending time in LA, which I do several times a year. Craziness goes with cities. But I find people (and drivers) in Boston and suburbs absolutely insane. So I go to NY and LA for a dose of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
              Sounds like a cool set up then. Good for her.

I like poking around on the realtor.com app. Having looked at rents in Los Feliz (whether apartment or house), it appears that she got an insanely good deal.
              She got lucky. Prior to this she shared a house in Silver Lake, then rented a back house in Hollywood, then a friend was getting married and moving out of the Los Feliz property. She took it over.

Comment

I'm partial to NYC but appreciate LA, too. New Yorkers are more genuine and New York is a FAR more walkable city. LA is cheaper to live and has amazing weather. Both cities are incredibly diverse.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                  Because of New York taxes. They will never buy those studios.
                  Netflix is building a huge studio right now. My Netflix show shoots in NY, as do others. There's a 30% rebate on the under the line budget... It's not impossible to shoot here, luckily. This will be the third show I've shot in NY in the last five years.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                    Netflix is building a huge studio right now. My Netflix show shoots in NY, as do others. There's a 30% rebate on the under the line budget... It's not impossible to shoot here, luckily. This will be the third show I've shot in NY in the last five years.
                    Here are more details on what Jeff noted: https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ty-1203192541/
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      Thanks for setting me straight. Had no idea. I know friends are bailing because of taxes. That'll teach me to assume.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                        I'm partial to NYC but appreciate LA, too. New Yorkers are more genuine and New York is a FAR more walkable city. LA is cheaper to live and has amazing weather. Both cities are incredibly diverse.
                        I agree on all points!

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                          New York is a FAR more walkable city.
                          That's a bit of an understatement When I was lucky enough to be living in Manhattan, my car was my Metrocard. I walked everywhere or took the subway and it was tremendous. Can't wait to live there again, I'm hoping it hasn't returned to Dinkins era bullshit before I get there.

Comment

One of my earliest impressions of New York City occurred when my parents took our family to a movie called The Out of Towners (1970), a “fish out of water” story. One of the scenes reflected the mountains of trash created by the city’s garbage strike of 1968. My young age and impressionability, as well as initially not a resident of a city, caused that image to remain vivid in my mind’s eye to this day. Such is the power of cinema.
                            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                              Here are more details on what Jeff noted: https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ty-1203192541/

There's also Robert DeNiro planning to build a production studio in Astoria, Queens.

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/7/10/2068...ria-queens-nyc

York Studios, which has studios in Maspeth, Queens, are already working on a new facility in the Bronx.
                              https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/06...-in-soundview/

Lionsgate is establishing their studio stages in Yonkers.
                              https://www.lohud.com/story/news/loc...ck/2220700001/

Even New Jersey is getting their own large studios, Caven Point Studios.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/jersey-...lt-jersey-city
                              Last edited by Madbandit; 12-07-2019, 03:21 AM.
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                                Strongly disagree. New York is even more crowded than L.A. with more people and less space.

Not really. Depends on the borough. In Brooklyn, there's a lot of new residential buildings being built. Also, Queens and Staten Island are more suburban than urban.
                                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                                X