X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you think about?

Thoughts during a typical writing session:

1. Is this script really worth writing?
    2. I don’t care if it’s really worth writing… I’m effing writing it, dammit!
    3. But will managers be compelled by its logline?
    4. 99.9% chance they won’t.
    5. Why is Hollywood so insular?!
    5. But damn the torpedoes! Keep typing!
    6. Because I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.
    7. Al Franken, get back into politics!!!!!
    6. Hmmm. Will the Nicholl readers like my script enough to advance it?
    7. Is this scene even believable?
    6. Is my protagonist active enough or is he merely carried along?
    6. I should watch "Back to the Future" again to see what Marty McFly did.
    7. I’d love it if Wahlberg or Damon got their hands on my Boston- and D.C.-based political thriller.
    8. They will when my Nicholl script advances to finals this year.
    9. Ha ha. Real funny. How 'bout you write something good.
    11. Okay. Left finger: hit the H key. Right finger: Hit the E key. Thumb: Press the spacebar.
    14. Whew! I typed "He" -- Progress.
    23. Why is this list so mis-numbered?
    Save the date: 2022, 2024, 2026, until the end of time.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
      Well, I was heavily influenced by writing professors many moons ago in college who stressed asking ourselves: Why does this story need to be told?

I've got journals and computer files chock full of story ideas that, once I dug a little deeper, didn't offer a valid reason as to "why" it needed to be told.

This training may have f-ed me up a bit yet, alas, it's the first thing I think about.
      Hi sc111, I respect your process, and I've tried to ask myself questions like that because it's one of those things you're apparently supposed to.

But I really can't take the thousand mile view, it just puts too much pressure on the writing.

I'm going to guess that few stories that I write need to be told. But they're fun to write, and I think they'd be fun to see, so I do it.

Have you ever stopped writing something you loved, and wanted to write, because of that question? I'd pull it out and give it another look.

Comment

Prezzy and ZAZZZZ get me! that's what i'm looking for. Why? I don't know. But good to hear I'm not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
          Hi sc111, I respect your process, and I've tried to ask myself questions like that because it's one of those things you're apparently supposed to.

But I really can't take the thousand mile view, it just puts too much pressure on the writing.

I'm going to guess that few stories that I write need to be told. But they're fun to write, and I think they'd be fun to see, so I do it.

Have you ever stopped writing something you loved, and wanted to write, because of that question? I'd pull it out and give it another look.
          The question: Why does this story need to be told? Forces the writer to think about theme. Writing with the thematic question in mind adds layers to the story. Even comedies have a theme -- well, the better ones do.

Of course, an argument can be made that, on a sub-conscious level, the writer is always exploring a theme. In my opinion, bringing theme up into one's conscious awareness just makes for a better script (or novel, or short story).

As for this question:

Actually, no. I stick with ideas I love. I just dig a little deeper to crystallize the theme.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

No story NEEDS to be told. That's a great writing cliche. It means nothing. But we should write the stories WE NEED to tell. That's different to me. Still a huge waste of time -- but what else we gonna do?

Today I thought about getting a new career. Maybe I can be a manager and yell at writers. I mean -- give notes.

Comment

The "Why this story?" and "Why now?" often comes up. That's a good one to be prepared for. For the most part, I just think in terms of entertainment first, engage second. There's usually a deeper story there, but sometimes it's just as simple (in terms of "why") as creating a world that provides an escape from this one. And that in itself, in my humble opinion, are what a lot of audiences are looking for with art, whether it's movies, music, or sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                We talk a lot about formulas and terms -- things we didn't invent, but learned about screenwriting as it went on.

But as you write, what do you think about most?
                Do you think about joy?
                About selling?
                Do you just get lost in the story?

So besides all the things that are obvious to say like structure, I'm just curious how your mind works?

Maybe you never thought about this before.

When I really get excited and just write -- I'm writing because I can't wait for someone else to read it -- because I want to bring a TV show or a feature film into the world. So I'm thinking about people reading it and saying "this is awesome."

I'm not thinking, I'm listening to the soundtrack from Fallout 4 while I'm writing.
                TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Truth is, I mostly think about giving up entirely.
                  For a writer, is that even possible? It sounds similar to saying, "an alcoholic stops at one drink...". Ignore at will.

Then I finish it in under 109 pages.
                  What's the deal with obsessing over page count?

I was in a psychological horror movie.
                  Care to offer thoughts on my story? BTW, love the screen name, LostFootage.

What do you think about?
                  Will the story (while watching or at the end) make people cry. Stay with the audience for at least a decade (if not more). FWIW, Mama (2013) made me cry. Stayed with me.

btw, this thread reminds me of one of my favorite story: The_Iceman Cometh
                  Last edited by fallenangel; 06-26-2020, 04:47 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

" What's the deal with obsessing over page count?-

What's the deal with not obsessing over page count?

Comment

What's the deal with not obsessing over page count?
                      As long as one maintains a feature length definition (think it is 75 minutes per SGA) with compelling writing, you should be fine. # of pages also depends on genre. Horror probably will be shorter in length compared to Drama.

Script should be no shorter than 70 pages and no longer than 160 pages. The recommended length is 80 to 125 pages. Nicoll

my 2 cents....
                      --fallen

Comment

If you write a 160 page script you should be arrested. Anything on spec over 115 is excessive.
                        Last edited by Satriales; 06-26-2020, 07:04 AM.

Comment

20 years ago I heard 90-120 pages.
                          Past 10 years or so I heard 110 or less for specs.
                          If you're making it yourself -- you can do whatever you want, I guess.

I think "how can I get my spec to 104 pages" as I write.

Comment

Prosody.

And snogging Milla Jovovich on a red carpet.
                            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I think it's different each time you write. What do you think about the very first time you write a scene. Probably, ok what is happening here? Who says what? About what? What is the key beat I need to get to?

Your tenth time through the scene you may ask yourself very different questions.

Once you figure out what a scene needs to do, you find that moment that the scene is all about you start thinking about how can you make that moment sparkle. How do characters need to act, need to say in order to make that moment be as special as it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                But as you write, what do you think about most?
                                Do you think about joy?
                                I do not know her, but like the alcoholic construction worker I am not, I do think about getting in late and getting out early.
                                Last edited by Clint Hill; 06-30-2020, 05:07 PM.
                                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                                X