Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Ideas

Not that it really matters to anyone, but I'll jump in for a moment.

Ideas, as with some of you, come to me from everything every week. A news story on TV. An article in the newspaper or magazine. Hearing a song. Generally, though, they just pop in my head for some reason. Most are comedies & romantic comedies, but there is a mix of thriller, sci-fi, horror, and even a few dramas. I usually come up with a title and story about the same time. Sometimes the title will come first and a basic logline will follow within seconds. Other times, I think of a the very basic story set up and some key moments and then the title comes quickly afterwards. I love puny and play-on-words titles, much to my wife's chagrin. (She's sweet about it, but still.)

I write basically all down, thus an overly long list. I never think about genre or needing to write for a genre. Only once that happened, and I wrote a horror script and they made it. They did a terrible, terrible job. (I've mentioned this before, so I'll stop there.) I just try to keep myself open to ideas regardless, and again write them all down. Sometimes I jot the idea down and write a note to myself like "What are you thinking?" or "This is terrible." But I still write it down. If it comes to me later while up and about, then I'll ponder it some more to see if i can do a quick fix in my mind. Other times while scrolling through my list I might do a little tweak or fix to an idea.

I find for me, if an idea has been well received by others and it keeps coming up now & then as something I need to work on, then I try to lead one of those. I try to stay focused but I do keep a few things going at once and if I feel I need to move on either due to the idea and/or my own writing inadequacies, then I do.
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I have to confess that I only skimmed some of the many replies.
      But I was impressed with this idea as a twist on the basic situation:
      -- My friend's mother was adamant about getting the woman out before she died. "We have to evict her now, or you'll never get rid of her." It was her end-of-life goal, and she failed to achieve it. (Did her mother know more about this woman than she told my friend?)
      Boy, I wish I were better at devising plots. I know that you have something here. What I can say is that you should never develop toward the obvious solution. The story cannot be just about trying to get rid of a pesky, awful tenant. A twist of some kind is necessary, or at least some information about the tenant that takes everything to a different level.

This has potential.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        I see something like this...

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4457712...FFTLCY7ScnH%2F

And I think that's a movie idea in some way.

And I love video stores.
        I just came here to list this. Hahah. I loved Blockbuster. This could be a horror maybe? Halloween night?

I'm surprised no one ever made a movie (with a take) from this biker gang shooting. 9 people dead and 177 arrested when two biker gangs had a shootout in a damn restaurant in the middle of the day. Then all those arrested held on a million dollars bond. Yikes. Then the bikers threatened police. There are so many angles to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh13ZLavobM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHG_KB5fH6Q

Comment

Originally posted by Prezzy View Post
          So, to sum it up, I kind of do things backward. I decide how I'm going to write the script, then I structure a story around it as opposed to coming up with a story, then figuring out how I'm going to write it.
          So, do your scripts have the ending first, then Act 2, then the inciting incident? Just kidding (although I do believe it's been tried to make a movie this way more than once).
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
            So, do your scripts have the ending first, then Act 2, then the inciting incident? Just kidding (although I do believe it's been tried to make a movie this way more than once).
            I do wonder who did that first. Was it Chrisopher Nolan with Memento, or was he copying someone else? Although, if I'm not mistaken, I believe he wrote the script in sequential order, then decided to edit the movie backwards after the fact.

It really is so hard to do something original these days. I've tossed out so many viable ideas for movies simply because they're similar to something someone else has already done.

Comment

Originally posted by Prezzy View Post
              I do wonder who did that first. Was it Chrisopher Nolan with Memento, or was he copying someone else? Although, if I'm not mistaken, I believe he wrote the script in sequential order, then decided to edit the movie backwards after the fact.
              Probably some avant-garde French director in the 1930s or ’40s. I’m sure the 1960s and ’70s were full of “experimental” filmmaking, too. To find the answer, we’d need to ask a film history scholar. Ben Mankiewicz might know. Also ask the good people at the Packard Campus of the Audio-Visual Conservation Center at the Library of Congress; they’ll find out.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                I have to confess that I only skimmed some of the many replies.
                Boy, I wish I were better at devising plots. I know that you have something here. What I can say is that you should never develop toward the obvious solution. The story cannot be just about trying to get rid of a pesky, awful tenant. A twist of some kind is necessary, or at least some information about the tenant that takes everything to a different level.

This has potential.
                Thank you, I agree! There needs to be a twist/surprise in the story. Pacific Heights was a straightforward movie about trying to evict a psychopathic tenant. That version has already been done. This would be like Pacific Heights meets X. -- I just don't know what X is yet.

I'm watching the situation to see how it evolves, and then also brainstorming where it could go fictionally... Where I divorce the mundane real world facts.

Comment

I also keep lists of things I run across. Every week, I get at least a couple. Right now on my list:

- An astrology scandal. A month ago one of the biggest astrologers on YouTube was accused of sexual impropriety with a student. He claimed she seduced him. She claimed he was 'gaslighting' her, and that he was really the seducer. A bunch of astrologers chimed in and accused him of being unethical. But it's hard to take it seriously when much of the population deems astrology inherently unethical. I don't think there is a movie there, but maybe a non-fiction article on ethics in astrology. Which is an oxymoron to some.

- Project Blue Beam is a supposed project created by the government to simulate an alien invasion. Conspiracy theorists say the government will activate this project soon, to keep control of the population. (Hey! I'm just the messenger, I don't know if I believe this or not. I'm just collecting stories.) I think it's an interesting situation. What if enough of the population were convinced that the government was going to put on an "alien show" so that when actual aliens invade, no one takes them seriously? Or, what if actual aliens take over a fake alien invasion halfway through the project? I don't know. Feels fun.

Those are two I don't think I'll do anything with, but I like to practice brainstorming on them.

Also, in SF, the FBI and DOJ keep busting local politicians. I think like 6-8 are now are under federal indictment. There is a lot of juice in the stories, x sleeping with y to get a contract for z. But my feeling is they haven't gotten to the big players yet. The FBI sent out a stern warning a few months ago: "If you have any knowledge of these and other pay-to-play rackets at City Hall, we advise you to run, not walk, to your local FBI office -- before it's too late." That kind of warning really makes me engage and want to know who they're taking down next!

I used to be interested in ideas that didn't have real stakes. Now I look for stories that have some meat on the bones. Someone will lose their life, or their whole career, if they don't achieve a goal.

But my take away from this thread is I want to try working on some story ideas that don't start with a real life event or situation -- as detailed in Prezzy's post here: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...1&postcount=10

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                    Thank you, I agree! There needs to be a twist/surprise in the story. Pacific Heights was a straightforward movie about trying to evict a psychopathic tenant. That version has already been done. This would be like Pacific Heights meets X. -- I just don't know what X is yet.
                    1. Maybe “X” is a female Jeffrey Dahmer.

2. She was a gynecologist, right?—maybe she performed illegal abortions—eating Goldfish crakers before, during, and after—but it was the experiments on the still live fetuses—eating Goldfish crakers before, during, and after—that her ex-husband freaked out over. He was unwittingly complicit, so he pays to keep her away. Gotta keep the Goldfish bit going, though, or create a product like them (to avoid litigation).

3. The mother knew more about the gynecologist tenant than she could tell, and couldn’t tell her daughter because the gynecologist delivered her daughter. Except the daughter is not the daughter of the woman who died. The daughter is the daughter of the gynecologist. Now, the gynecologist tenant stalks the daughter to surreptitiously relieve the daughter of her life and lay claim to the daughter’s properties with the bloodwork to prove the gynecologist is the next of kin.

I also keep lists of things I run across. Every week, I get at least a couple. Right now on my list:

- An astrology scandal. A month ago one of the biggest astrologers on YouTube was accused of sexual impropriety with a student. He claimed she seduced him. She claimed he was 'gaslighting' her, and that he was really the seducer. A bunch of astrologers chimed in and accused him of being unethical. But it's hard to take it seriously when much of the population deems astrology inherently unethical. I don't think there is a movie there, but maybe a non-fiction article on ethics in astrology. Which is an oxymoron to some.
                    This could be a good B-story for a script where the MC checks in with an astrologer for whatever reasons.

- Project Blue Beam is a supposed project created by the government to simulate an alien invasion. Conspiracy theorists say the government will activate this project soon, to keep control of the population. (Hey! I'm just the messenger, I don't know if I believe this or not. I'm just collecting stories.) I think it's an interesting situation. What if enough of the population were convinced that the government was going to put on an "alien show" so that when actual aliens invade, no one takes them seriously? Or, what if actual aliens take over a fake alien invasion halfway through the project? I don't know. Feels fun.

Those are two I don't think I'll do anything with, but I like to practice brainstorming on them.
                    I need the Project Blue Beam scenario. It fits perfectly into the Sci-Fi script I have as the B-story. Thanks!
                    Last edited by Clint Hill; 08-11-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Thank you, TigerFang -- I like your ideas about the landlord-tenant situation. I'll add them to the brainstorming list.

I'd love to see someone tackle a good Project Blue Beam story.

Here is an overview. It's a book but you can tell just from the description what it's about -- sorta.

https://www.amazon.com/PROJECT-BLUE-.../dp/B008KGT7S2

And another description here.

https://conspiracytheoriesarchives.c...ject-blue-beam

Comment

I had a serial killer idea pop into my head last week after watching two documentaries: The Eleven and a doc on Ed Kemper, the Co-Ed Killer.

I'm not sure there's anything here but what intrigues me is how Police and FBI ignored or totally missed blatant clues in both cases. And Kemper was only arrested because he turned himself in after he killed his mother.

The Idea:

A writer who does fairly well self-publishing different types of How-To digital books on Amazon, puts out a handbook on "How To Be A Successful Serial Killer."

The book compiles all the "Dont's" based on mistakes serial killers made that led to their arrest.

It also lists the "Do's" based on serial killers who continue to successfully elude capture. The author (I'm thinking a guy) did extensive research to compile these Do's and Don'ts.

Soon after it's published online, there's a sudden string of killings in which the only clue are the initials of the book's author written in blood on the victim's forehead. And the killings take place in the city where the author lives.

Of course this makes the author the prime suspect for a hot minute but it seems his murderous fan schedules every murder for when the author has an ironclad alibi.

The author volunteers his help to local police and the FBI but they brush him off as an annoying kook. But then a relative of one of the victims (a former FBI agent? Cop? Or simply a civilian?) urges him to team up to conduct their own investigation because LE is failing spectacularly.

Does it have legs? Yes? No?
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                          I had a serial killer idea pop into my head last week after watching two documentaries: The Eleven and a doc on Ed Kemper, the Co-Ed Killer.

I'm not sure there's anything here but what intrigues me is how Police and FBI ignored or totally missed blatant clues in both cases. And Kemper was only arrested because he turned himself in after he killed his mother.

The Idea:

A writer who does fairly well self-publishing different types of How-To digital books on Amazon, puts out a handbook on "How To Be A Successful Serial Killer."

The book compiles all the "Dont's" based on mistakes serial killers made that led to their arrest.

It also lists the "Do's" based on serial killers who continue to successfully elude capture. The author (I'm thinking a guy) did extensive research to compile these Do's and Don'ts.

Soon after it's published online, there's a sudden string of killings in which the only clue are the initials of the book's author written in blood on the victim's forehead. And the killings take place in the city where the author lives.

Of course this makes the author the prime suspect for a hot minute but it seems his murderous fan schedules every murder for when the author has an ironclad alibi.

The author volunteers his help to local police and the FBI but they brush him off as an annoying kook. But then a relative of one of the victims (a former FBI agent? Cop? Or simply a civilian?) urges him to team up to conduct their own investigation because LE is failing spectacularly.

Does it have legs? Yes? No?
                          There have been movies made that ignored facts and reality that still made for an entertaining time in the dark of a theater (now replaced by streaming). The only hang-up I can see off the bat is the self-publishing of such material would never see the Internet. Censors would catch it before it went online. Even if it did go online, someone would report it within two shakes of a lamb’s tail and down it would come.

EDIT TO ADD: To get around this, maybe he could charge Bitcoin for the book on the Dark Web?
                          Last edited by Clint Hill; 08-11-2020, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Thank you, TigerFang -- I like your ideas about the landlord-tenant situation. I'll add them to the brainstorming list.

I'd love to see someone tackle a good Project Blue Beam story.

Here is an overview. It's a book but you can tell just from the description what it's about -- sorta.

https://www.amazon.com/PROJECT-BLUE-.../dp/B008KGT7S2

And another description here.

https://conspiracytheoriesarchives.c...ject-blue-beam
                            Hmm. I liked your summary and "What if?- scenario better than the listed description of the book. Some legitimate, well-educated reviewers panned it, too, which, in this case, is enough for me to say no to buying the book. I can create my own version for my B-story merely based on your summary. Thanks for the heads up, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                              There have been movies made that ignored facts and reality that still made for an entertaining time in the dark of the theater (now replaced by streaming). The only hang-up I can see off the bat is the self-publishing of such material would never see the Internet. Censors would catch it before it went online. Even if it did go online, someone would report it within two shakes of a lamb's tail and down it would come.
                              I think TigerFang's advice is accurate. Remember when OJ Simpson wrote that book -- If I Did It. He (and his ghost writer) wrote the whole book, but it was cancelled by the publisher. I got a copy of it because someone put the galley on a torrent site. So there, that is your work around -- he could have written it, it's not publish conventionally and it becomes a cult hit on the internet.

This reminds me of how the writer Michelle McNamara traced the steps of the Golden State Killer in her popular true crime blog. And then she died before her book was done. Not the same, but similar.

Comment

To get around this, maybe he could charge Bitcoin for the book on the Dark Web?

Comment

Working...
                                X