Charlie Kaufman's new film looks like his biggest mindfukk yet.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie Kaufman's new film looks like his biggest mindfukk yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDTg62vsV4U
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-06-2020, 04:29 PM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Charlie Kaufman's new film looks like his biggest mindfukk yet.

I finished reading Antkind a couple of weeks ago - his 700 page maximalist tome. It reminded me of Synechdoche New York in a lot of ways - self-reflective, existential, ponderous, and funny in some parts.

I would recommend it.

Comment

Nice trailer, I'm in.

Comment

I liked the film a lot. In Kaufman's most recent films he's graduated from quirky pop entertainment to something more introspective, more existential. I thoroughly enjoyed the earlier stuff - Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine - but they were reliant on a central gimmick to drive the story. Here and in Synechdoche (haven't seen Anomalisa) Kaufman is asking more of the audience. There are ample clues everywhere but you have to watch closely. it's like looking at a painting for an extended period of time to fully understand it. It's also similar to what David Foster Wallace was doing with Infinite Jest and Pale King - using endnotes extensively to condition close reading.

For me, I'm glad this kind of movie is getting made. It gives me hope the kind of art-house stuff I mostly write isn't a complete waste of time.

Comment

It's one of the most complex films I've ever seen. As a film, I personally don't think it was good. As something with literary merit, that's another story. A cinematic achievement in some ways, but lacking in what I believe to be the most important part of filmmaking -- entertainment.

Comment

Working...
          X