Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Kinder, Gentler Netflix

The following is a link to an article transcribed from an episode on National Public Radio's program "All Things Considered-: "A Kinder, Gentler Wave Of Reality TV Tries A Little Tenderness, For A Change-
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Re: A Kinder, Gentler Netflix

Link below...

Netflix loses subscribers in US
    Netflix to spend $200m on Dwayne Johnson/Gal Gadot/Ryan Reynolds action pic

and more...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix...es-11564417323

Comment

how can it possibly cost Netflix that much money to make three films? i think i'm missing something. doesn't the traditional big budget films include marketing?

if it does, what kind of marketing does Netflix require? i'm not sure i understand why budgets seem to have exploded over the past 5 years.

maybe the reason they've lost subscribers is because they cancel favorite shows after two to four seasons?
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I cant forgive Netflix for cancelling my beloved "Santa Clarita Diet." "Good Girls" is safe for now, another season is on the way...Phew...

Comment

The cancellation of Santa Clarita and the general decline of Stranger Things will make pulling the plug quite easy after Ozark S3 is done. Bring on the Disney and Apple, I guess.

Comment

They sorely need to up there game in regards to streamer library. You've got their productions and a smattering of recent releases on one end of the spectra, and a deluge of indie garbage on the other. No middle. That middle needs to be filled with a robust, quality library in every genre. Like Amazon does.

Comment

For the amount of money Netflix spends on a years worth of middling stand up comedy and forgettable features they could have bought Paramount Pictures.

That would have given them one of the best film catalogs in the world to build a streaming service off of (not to mention remakes and sequels).

The NF Original catalog has no value. Can anyone even name more than 1 or 2 of the 8 Adam Sandler films Netflix produced?

Their business model is to hit people with 100 new choices every time you log on (doesn't matter if any of them are any good).

They routinely cancel series in the 2nd or 3rd season, even though the most watched content on NF is re-runs of sitcoms that went off the air 10 years ago (shows that didn't become popular until AFTER their 3rd seasons, mind you). In other words, people only sign up to watch content that they are ALREADY AWARE OF (for me it was Mad Men and Breaking Bad).

Amazon gets this, which is why they are (presumably outbidding NF for) rights to book series like Lord Of The Rings and The Dark Tower.

But hey, there's always Bright 2.

Most of their content decisions are made by an algorithm, which was fine during their growth phase, but now that they've kind of plateaued, their stock value will be crushed if they don't do something different, and fast.

Comment

Also, if they bought Paramount they would be able to release 3-4 films a year in theaters -- just like a real movie studio.

And then develop maybe a drama series or two for the Paramount TV network, where they could broadcast a new episode every week (before streaming the entire season only after it's over) and maybe even generate some water cooler / Twitter buzz -- just like a real TV series.

I just gave NF better advice for free than any of their multi-millionaire executives comes up with in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                  For the amount of money Netflix spends on a years worth of middling stand up comedy and forgettable features they could have bought Paramount Pictures.

That would have given them one of the best film catalogs in the world to build a streaming service off of (not to mention remakes and sequels).

Most of their content decisions are made by an algorithm, which was fine during their growth phase, but now that they've kind of plateaued, their stock value will be crushed if they don't do something different, and fast.
                  None the less surely as writers (wannabe or not that s good for us The last thing we want is NF with a back catalogue of crap they can regurgitate ad nauseum. we want new **** and we want to have written it... don't we?
                  I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                    we want new **** and we want to have written it... don't we?

Full disclosure-- Netflix passed on a script of mine because their algorithm told them to (I was told this by an exec off the record), so I have a kind of vendetta against them where I plan on getting my movie made somewhere else and then making NF over pay for the streaming rights. Time is on my side.

Comment

LOL fair enough then
                      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X