Do You Have to Register w/WGA if You've Copyrighted Your Script?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Have to Register w/WGA if You've Copyrighted Your Script?

I copyrighted my script - sent it to DC with the check and everything. Do I still have to WGA it, if so, why?

Hey Corona whassup.
    If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you. - J.C.

Re: Do You Have to Register w/WGA if You've Copyrighted Your Script?

No.

Copyright surpasses WGA registration.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by WildChild View Post
      Hey Corona whassup.
      Nothin' much.

You hiring?

Corona
      I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
      I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

How about if you change the title? Should you re-copyright it? I know titles aren't copyrightable but does the association with that script make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
          How about if you change the title? Should you re-copyright it? I know titles aren't copyrightable but does the association with that script make a difference?
          I always put AKA with the original title in the contract and use the WGA and/or the copyright #'s of the original title. I hope that would cover it.

Comment

You can make some changes to the script without having to obtain another copyright. So I see no reason that changing the title would make any difference.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I copyrighted online with the Library of Congress, and got a Case #....I also registered with WGA. I have a quick question if y'all don't mind. On a short I registered with WGA I got a certificate in the mail, and on my feature I didn't. I have a Registration # and everything, but no actual certificate. Does it really matter? I'm just wondering if I did something wrong??

Thanks!
              HL

Comment

Copyrighted Script

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                Once you have registered your copyright for your screenplay, any changes that you make to it would be "derivative" copyrights and should state what changes were made to the original work. If it was only the title and some minor changes, it's probably not worth bothering with the extra paperwork and fee, as the bulk of your screenplay remains the same.

If the screenplay has been sent out to production companies, under the original title, then you've rewritten the screenplay with a new title, it might be a good idea to indicate the former title and its being a "revised" work.
                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by HLTassin View Post
                  I copyrighted online with the Library of Congress, and got a Case #....I also registered with WGA. I have a quick question if y'all don't mind. On a short I registered with WGA I got a certificate in the mail, and on my feature I didn't. I have a Registration # and everything, but no actual certificate. Does it really matter? I'm just wondering if I did something wrong??

Thanks!
                  You should have gotten a certificate in the mail, IMO. Call them up and they will send a *duplicate.* I lost a certificate once and they sent out a duplicate immediately. It might not matter, but I think you should have it.

Comment

Thanks jodeb! I appreciate your input. I'm going to call them today. them today.

HL
                    HL

Comment

Originally posted by HLTassin View Post
                      Thanks jodeb! I appreciate your input. I'm going to call them today. them today.

HL
                      You don't need to do both HL Tassin, Copyright Office will suffice. WGA is sometimes used by writers as half -way house, until they're ready for full regis. with CO.
                      Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                        No.

Copyright surpasses WGA registration.
                        Thanks, Comic!

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you. - J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcorona View Post
                          Nothin' much.

You hiring?

Corona
                          Yes Corona, I'm hiring. You cook for free?

I can't think of anymore questions...oh no...

Comment

Working...
                          X