No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Write the Right Script by Chris Lockhart

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    I must say, I don't understand how anyone could write in a genre they don't watch or like that much? Did I misread that you wrote a romantic comedy - FinalAct -- but never watch them? But have read some specs? I feel I am missing something here.
    yes, you read right. i don't love rom-coms and i don't enjoy sophomoric humor. i understand i am alone in this respect. haha.

i did love How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days, My Best Friend's Wedding, Knight n Day, and Pretty Woman back in the day, but by and large i don't enjoy most rom-coms, but i had an idea, a concept i liked and most of it is turning out pretty okay.

i don't get Bridesmaids, read the script, not interested in seeing the film. read You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, and When Harry met Sally. don't feel i need to watch them again anytime soon. i understand the story from reading the script just fine.

I did like Train Wreck, at least most of it, so i guess i like some rom-coms, with really ****ed up people. but i've never "paid" a theater to watch one. i'd rather binge on all Mission Impossibles instead.

and yes, as part of my research ahead of time, i read and watched rom-coms. the structure is easily understood. i'm not a mushy, lovey dovey type. i love sci-fi action. i love thrillers.

but sometimes you have an idea that you know you can execute, so , well, you go for it. that's what i'm doing. i don't want to be known as a rom-com writer, i prefer when people get excited because i'm a female writer that can write high octane action sequences and thrillers that spook you.

and i'm a world builder. it's one of my strengths. that's my passion. writing about the human condition and how our past leads us to our future. how we make the same mistakes over and over again. inequality. justice. guilt. hope. retribution. identity. insecurity. fear. self-actualization. themes that come out of my stories.

i don't know how to explain it. i like my rom-com, but i'm pretty sure one is enough for me to do on spec.

it's a curious thing.

that, or i've had one to many margaritas tonight.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I guess my male bias I default to every poster on here being male and when you mentioned action spec before I really assumed -- so now to learn you're female and don't like romantic comedies but wrote one -- you may be a unicorn!

Now I have to think if I love romantic comedies... hmm... I love comedy. Most comedies though I don't love because it's to me comedy and horror are the 2 hardest genres to do right.

So do you like comedy in general?

Now I really want to know what concept got you to write in a genre you don't like much.

For instance, I dont' want to write a period piece. So there is no idea that would make me do it. I enjoy some westerns, but I can not see myself writing one. Sci-Fi I love watching but nope probably not. Action I should do as I love it so, but probably more an action-comedy...

I think it's brave to try. Maybe you'll find out this is what you do best.

Comment

I guess my male bias I default to every poster on here being male and when you mentioned action spec before I really assumed -- so now to learn you're female and don't like romantic comedies but wrote one -- you may be a unicorn!
        i might be.

Now I have to think if I love romantic comedies... hmm... I love comedy. Most comedies though I don't love because it's to me comedy and horror are the 2 hardest genres to do right.
        rom-coms are like princess stories to me. they have women prioritizing being with a man above all else, even common sense. i don't like feeling that a woman's identity and worth is tied to being with a man and that's what a lot of rom-coms present as reality. princess stories perpetuate the idea that a woman is not whole without a man. and they make women look stupid, by and large.

Pretty Woman is a perfect example, there is never a time when a street hooker is going to end up with an uber rich business man. it's a fantasy. i don't appreciate the sentiment that a woman is somehow better off or climbs into a new social class when they have a man. but i loved it, so i guess i'm just cynical about it. haha.
        So do you like comedy in general?
        i guess not? or at the very least i am extremely picky. i like stories that are infused with humor. i don't appreciate sophomoric humor or poop jokes. but that may be because i don't get a lot of jokes. haha.

i like good humor like, Michelle Wolfe, Trevor Noah, i liked Jumaji a lot, but Will Farrel films? nope. not my thing. i like it when comedy is infused within dark stories where they use comedy to contrast and relieve tension before and after a tense suspenseful moment.

Now I really want to know what concept got you to write in a genre you don't like much.
        it's the march madness: tinder sweet 16 thread. a successful woman, who has it all, but always chooses the wrong guy, is cynical about love, and enters a bet with her friends to prove that they cannot find her the perfect man. the women are strong. only one ditzy girl (one scene) but that's deliberate for fun. and there are fun moments. i like it a lot. i knew i needed something lower budget, but couldn't help having a James Bond like chick that brings all these fun 'gadget' into the mix so the girls can 'spy' on the dates.

For instance, I dont' want to write a period piece. So there is no idea that would make me do it. I enjoy some westerns, but I can not see myself writing one. Sci-Fi I love watching but nope probably not. Action I should do as I love it so, but probably more an action-comedy...
        i could write a period piece and a western, but they'd be action, thriller or both. it's just natural to me. i like to challenge conventions. i like to try things no one else has. Tracker pushes boundries. it's really dark. and though graphic, to me it's not gratuitous, it's built into the concept. if the story is about a man that shares a killer's memories, guess what? we're not going to see him picking daisies in a field of flowers.

i also have a sci-fi epic that i will adapt to a novel. it's a huge amazing world set in the several hundred years. i love it. it's a darker hero's story.

here are the two loglines:

Tracker:
        In order to catch a sadistic serial killer terrorizing Washington DC, an FBI agent will use experimental technology that requires him to join forces with the most unlikely partner; the serial killer he put on death row eight years ago for multiple heinous murders, including that of the agent's wife and only child.

if you have a black list account you can see the reviews here... it was also chosen as a featured script. the poster the graphic artist and i designed is really cool. Tracker is also written as a franchise piece. easily able to write a prequel and sequels. it's a self-contained story, but also opens the world beyond this moment.

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/26636

or my website. it has the black list reviews up for both... https://www.lisamolusis.com/project-02 i mean, if you're curious.

Wasteland: The Sixth State it's original ip, $100 budget
        In a future decimated by plague, a young woman whose blood holds the key to saving humanity, must trust a renegade smuggler with ulterior motives as they flee across a violent Wasteland pursued by powerful forces who aim to use her blood for themselves.

i wanted to show i could handle writing a blockbuster.

here's the elevator pitch:
        Tessa is The Republic's Heir to the throne, whose blood keeps the entire utopian society free of the deadly plague that once decimated the earth's population centuries ago.

But when nefarious forces attempt to assassinate her on her way to the Capital, she is stranded in a hostile world beyond the domes which she never knew existed, Wasteland, where she is rescued by a renegade smuggler named Novak and his sidekick Slayer, Styx.

Novak immediately recognizes her and secretly plans to sell her at Krakow, Wasteland's marketplace, where everything is bought and sold with coin or lives. As they flee across a violent Wasteland pursued by savage Reapers, bounty hunters, and The Republic itself, she learns that there is an entire population of people being exploited, starved, murdered, and terrorized by The Republic, and thanks to its recent moratorium on TranX, they are exposed to the deadly plague.

By the time she makes it to the mythical Fountainhead where they search for a cure, it's unclear if her team of rebels will actually make it alive, and in the end, she'll have to chose to either save herself and lead the rebellion or submit to a lifetime of pain and suffering in order to save the one million lives of The Republic.

https://blcklst.com/members/scripts/view/43911 or on my website.

https://www.lisamolusis.com/project-05

it's ground-up world building. monetary system, politics, social classes, story world slang. it's all there. a rich past and future designed as a franchise.

it's a two hander. becomes an ensemble piece by the end which is written with prequel and sequel set ups. Wasteland, though dark, is written with big action set pieces with a feeling similar to Indiana Jones, Guardians of the Galaxy or even Star Wars. but not for kids. cuz it's scary, too. it's a hero's journey. it's my Game of Thrones. the world is that big. and i love it.

I think it's brave to try. Maybe you'll find out this is what you do best.
        well, i'm not sure about brave. no, i'm certain my skills are best served in sci-fi action thrillers. i'm good at it. but i do have plans on a period piece and a contained thriller that might feel a bit like a western, but still set in the future. maybe. haha.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Man, I'm dumb and slow. Or as they call us -- a husband. My wife kills the bugs and I cry at Punky Brewster.

I have responded so many times to your March Madness thread, but didn't i guess take in the handle that it was you, probably because responding to 4-5 threads. Ha! Idiot me!

I have 2 daughters, and I've always respected women -- not that guy who just realized you were people -- but it does 100% change a man's POV on things they don't realize until they think about it through their kids eyes. Little expressions and presumptions and things like "Oh she's so pretty." And they are pretty -- but I always add and smart too. So to play on your romantic comedy a woman needs a man idea -- you are 100% right. Some are good, but most send a sexist message, 8 year old me didn't notice. But what is so great is past 5-10 years or so, many great romantic comedies that don't do that. Most of them probably written by women so that's why.

But I do cringe now at Disney princess rescued by man story. Thats' why Frozen about 2 sisters is perfect for my 2 daughters as they don't need a man to save them.

Pretty Woman -- listen everyone loves that movie. It's great. Of course it's a fantasy, and as you may know it used to be this dark movie called $3000 that they turned into a romantic cinderalla type fantasy comedy.... but why it worked so well is that (to me) Julia roberts was in totally control the whole movie and she changed him... he showed up at the end, but she "rescused him right back." For 1990, I think it was pretty good.

Harry Met Sally -- maybe the best one ever?

Anyway from your post seems you do like this genre enough and maybe all genres. You're just a lover of film. That's okay.

I guess the only "issue" is when you find success with 1 genre, they want you to stick in that genre, so it's hard to break out. But that's a great problem to have down the line.

Comment

Man, I'm dumb and slow. Or as they call us -- a husband. My wife kills the bugs and I cry at Punky Brewster.

I have responded so many times to your March Madness thread, but didn't i guess take in the handle that it was you, probably because responding to 4-5 threads. Ha! Idiot me!

I have 2 daughters, and I've always respected women -- not that guy who just realized you were people -- but it does 100% change a man's POV on things they don't realize until they think about it through their kids eyes. Little expressions and presumptions and things like "Oh she's so pretty." And they are pretty -- but I always add and smart too. So to play on your romantic comedy a woman needs a man idea -- you are 100% right. Some are good, but most send a sexist message, 8 year old me didn't notice. But what is so great is past 5-10 years or so, many great romantic comedies that don't do that. Most of them probably written by women so that's why.

But I do cringe now at Disney princess rescued by man story. Thats' why Frozen about 2 sisters is perfect for my 2 daughters as they don't need a man to save them.

Pretty Woman -- listen everyone loves that movie. It's great. Of course it's a fantasy, and as you may know it used to be this dark movie called $3000 that they turned into a romantic cinderalla type fantasy comedy.... but why it worked so well is that (to me) Julia roberts was in totally control the whole movie and she changed him... he showed up at the end, but she "rescused him right back." For 1990, I think it was pretty good.

Harry Met Sally -- maybe the best one ever?

Anyway from your post seems you do like this genre enough and maybe all genres. You're just a lover of film. That's okay.

I guess the only "issue" is when you find success with 1 genre, they want you to stick in that genre, so it's hard to break out. But that's a great problem to have down the line.
            it's funny that you bring up kids, because i have a daughter and she only ever wore a princess costume once, when she was four. she hated princesses. the very idea of them bothered her. she thought them mindless saps. so i guess i might have rubbed off on her, though i don't know how. haha.

she also doesn't like 'branding' on products and refused to wear Justice clothes because they have their brandname all over them. she's a rebel.

i deliberately stayed away from writing anything other than what i wanted to be known for, tentpole, big budget films that say something about the world we live in and where we're headed.

other writers used to say, "oh you write rom-coms?" and when they do read my work they're kind of shocked. one executive said, "it is relentless non-stop action start to finish. and what's best about it, is that it's written by a female."

and that's sad-- the assumption that women can't write action like men is really ingrained in us. i was actually going to use a pen name at one point, because people always assume a female can't write action. that we can't write big tentpole action adventures, that all women are inclined to write rom-coms. i mean, it's absurd, right? men can write women but no one really believes women are good at writing male characters.

and maybe the truth is that more women write rom-coms because they've been directed to that genre by biases?

maybe it won't be any good. maybe no one will know me for the rom-com. won't hurt my feelings. but this whole idea of pegging a writer as a this, or a that is kind of ridiculous. i mean, directors don't stick to one genre, why would it be any different for a writer.

a writer is a storyteller, the genre is consequential.

Comment

Yes it's stupid to pigeon hole writers, but that's what the sellers do. He is a horror writer. Bono is a comedy writer. FinalAct she writers action! I was just saying it would be ironic if this romantic comedy sold...

I bet you have a kick ass Mr and Mrs. Smith idea then.... a romantic action comedy! I say use what you got. If Female action writer helps get you reads, helps sell you and your story -- use it. People love it.

I stay at home with my kids. My wife works. And to prove nature vs nurture theory -- my girls hit every girl stereotype. They loves princess stuff... pink... unicorns and my 6 year old just went to justice last week... holy sh&t it was like seeing heaven open up.... So I can't tell if society makes them that way or it's just nature for most girls to love these things. I see boys and they seem to do the same dumb things I did as a child. Like try to kill your friends for fun!

Listen anyone that comes up to any writer and says "You write this right?" instead of just asking 'What do you write?" is an idiot. And bias is all around, but I feel men are just as sappy as women when it comes to love stories.

But my first point wasn't "I cant' believe a woman doesn't like romantic comedies" I was blown away that a writer was writing something they claimed not to like at all. That is what struck me as interesting.

Comment

"a writer is a storyteller, the genre is consequential." You mean inconsequential?

But anyways I've read finalact4's scripts "Tracker" and "Wasteland: The Sixth State". I think "Tracker" is the better executed of the two. Both, most certainly demonstrate, that a woman can write sci-fi, action, and thriller stories. Tracker is very dark and graphic for any writer.

As far as writing a rom com I can't stand them. To be honest I can't remember ever watching one and the one script I read "You've got mail" sucked dog balls. They're degrading to women specifically and to the human species generally. (not dog balls but rom coms ) Having said that though, at one time I wanted to write a zombie rom com.

Being able to write anything though would seem to be the way to go. If your target is to write the right script it seems to me one needs to be able to write in just about any genre.
                Free Script Reads and Notes

​
                ​

Comment

Most movies are degrading to women, so let's leave romantic comedies alone as being worse than others. How often are the roles just hot girlfriend or 1 line of dialogue mom? In action movies, the woman has to be saved too by a man. In thrillers, the women is about to be raped and murdered by the bad guy until hero man can solve the case.

Just pointing out how it's a problem in real life and fictional life. Yes, it's getting slightly better as more women get power like Tina Fey and Shonda to actually write some real women characters.

And why would a great comedy writer have to be able to write a western or Sci-Fi. That makes no sense. If they want to try it, they surely can -- but my point of Hollywood sees you as comedy or horror or action writer isn't something I made up. It's facts.

And personally the subject of this thread - the right script - is stupid to me. the point is write a script that people want to buy. how helpful! why didn't i think of that? I was writing the wrong script. Now I know what to do! It's not real advice, it's just guru bullshit. Sorry everyone.

Comment

"And why would a great comedy writer have to be able to write a western or Sci-Fi. That makes no sense."

I'm not saying a great comedy writer would have to be able to write a western or a sc-fi, but Mel Brooks did write a comedy western, a comedy sci-fi, and a comedy horror. Come to think of it a Tina Fey comedy western , I'd bet, would be kickass, as well as a Tina Fey comedy sci-fi or a comedy horror especially from a female pov with female leads. How about a campy "Wild Wild West" with female Secret Service agents. Sure would beat the crap out of the last steaming heap of "Wild Wild West".

"Blazing Saddles" with not just a black lead but a black female lead.

"Space Balls" depicted princess Leia as a badass.

Comedy in general opens up more story avenues. I think.
                    Free Script Reads and Notes

​
                    ​

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                      "And why would a great comedy writer have to be able to write a western or Sci-Fi. That makes no sense."

I'm not saying a great comedy writer would have to be able to write a western or a sc-fi, but Mel Brooks did write a comedy western, a comedy sci-fi, and a comedy horror. Come to think of it a Tina Fey comedy western , I'd bet, would be kickass, as well as a Tina Fey comedy sci-fi or a comedy horror especially from a female pov with female leads. How about a campy "Wild Wild West" with female Secret Service agents. Sure would beat the crap out of the last steaming heap of "Wild Wild West".

"Blazing Saddles" with not just a black lead but a black female lead.

"Space Balls" depicted princess Leia as a badass.

Comedy in general opens up more story avenues. I think.
                      i'd watch them all. that's why we need different voices so they can write those movies we haven't seen yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                        "a writer is a storyteller, the genre is consequential." You mean inconsequential?
                        no, i meant "consequential," meaning that the genre comes logically from the story. not the other way around.

But anyways I've read finalact4's scripts "Tracker" and "Wasteland: The Sixth State". I think "Tracker" is the better executed of the two. Both, most certainly demonstrate, that a woman can write sci-fi, action, and thriller stories. Tracker is very dark and graphic for any writer.
                        thank you, Mark.

As far as writing a rom com I can't stand them. To be honest I can't remember ever watching one and the one script I read "You've got mail" sucked dog balls. They're degrading to women specifically and to the human species generally. (not dog balls but rom coms ) Having said that though, at one time I wanted to write a zombie rom com.
                        try reading Sleepless in Seattle. they don't even meet until the end of the movie! i'd like to see a zombie rom-com actually.

Being able to write anything though would seem to be the way to go. If your target is to write the right script it seems to me one needs to be able to write in just about any genre.
                        writers write stories about the human condition. sometimes life is a nightmare and sometimes it's a jolly romp. it's something we all experience.
                        Last edited by finalact4; 04-26-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                          this whole idea of pegging a writer as a this, or a that is kind of ridiculous. i mean, directors don't stick to one genre, why would it be any different for a writer. … a writer is a storyteller, the genre is consequential.
                          Bono, is telling it to you straight.

finalact4, you're looking at it from the perspective of an artist. The industry looks at it from the perspective of business first. If your romantic comedy is a commercial success, then to the industry, you're a PROVEN writer in this genre and producers and studio executives will put you on the list for consideration for assignments for their romantic comedy projects.

Why would they consider you for their high budget sci-fi and/or action projects? When there are PROVEN sci-fi and action writers going for the same assignment. There was no sci-fi or action elements in your romantic comedy to demonstrate to them that you're capable to write in this genre.

A manager or agent will feel confident to send you out for romantic comedy assignments because you're a PROVEN writer in that genre.

Bono never said it was impossible for you to be desirable by the industry, where they wouldn't consider you for assignments in a different genre than what you're known for. He just said it would be more difficult.

If a producer wants to move forward with your romantic comedy and gives you a referral to a manager and agent, you would have to let them know up front that your not interested in assignment work for romantic comedies and that the genres you enjoy are sci-fi, action and thriller.

You want to make sure the agent is not just interested in the commission for the romantic comedy and that he'll be available to represent your other scripts. The same with a manager.

Your reps can send you on general meetings to get the industry people familiar with you and your story ideas in the genre you most want to write in.

For assignments, your reps can send samples of your best work in the genre you want to write in to demonstrate to the industry people you're capable of delivering a high quality screenplay for their project.

If your romantic comedy doesn't go forward and you're looking for representation, I don't suggest to query them with your romantic comedy. Query them with the genre you're most interested in writing and being put up for assignments.

If the manager tells you he likes the script and wants to know what other ideas you have, he's looking for the ideas you have in the genre you sent him that demonstrated to him you can deliver in that genre.

After those best one or two same genre ideas, you would mention the next genre idea you're interested in writing in, and then you would mention you also have a high concept romantic comedy. If he requests it, you would have to drop the boom on him and let him know that you would only be interested in selling that spec and not using it as a sample for assignments.

Yes, it's okay for a newbie to write in different genres to discover the genre that he enjoys the best and that he would excel in, but eventually it's recommended to focus on mastering one, or two genres first, learning the principles and expectations, etc.

Comment

But then you look at the career of someone like Eric Roth -- who in my opinion is a badass. Here are some of his credits:

-- (the upcoming) Dune
                            --A Star is Born
                            --The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
                            --The Good Shepherd
                            --Munich
                            --Ali
                            --The Insider
                            --The Horse Whisperer
                            --Forest Gump

I suppose they could all be classified broadly as "drama" and he'd be labeled a drama writer, but Forest Gump could not be more different than The Insider. Likewise, A Star is Born is in huge contrast to something like Dune.

I'm from the mindset that if you can write, you can. And if something interests you, you'll more than likely be able to write it (if you have the overall skills of professional writing).

So -- per genre constraints, is someone like Roth simply considered a drama writer or he's of high enough regard that directors seek him out no matter the genre? Because Villanvue (sp), Michael Mann, David Fincher, Robert Redford, Spielberg -- these are top notch directors. How does that affect other writers accomplishing the same thing rather than being pigeonholed?

Comment

Various posters here are conflating these issues: Writing for your own interest, becoming a great writer, and attaining and retaining a rep (presumably by being a genre specialist).

#1 is the reason I write, and I hope to reach #2 someday - both of them, regardless of the genre (or my location, age, etc. etc. as debated in other threads).

But I have been wary of any third-party pigeonholing that might occur as a result of #3. It's why I'm not even interested in writing other people's stories, including adapting the next great novel or DC/Marvel comic book. My own stuff first, thanks very much, and you folks can knock yourselves out fighting over those other things.

So, I believe #1-2 are essential - otherwise we may as well go back to our retail jobs.

But if we do attain those first two, #3 might come calling on their own. If they don't, it's harder to succeed, but you can still bypass them and go right to the buyers (producers/studios), if you're persistent.

I'd certainly not wait for the reps or buyers or anybody else to come calling, though. Loser's game, there.

Comment

I love this musical artist Butch Walker. He's very talented. He producers big hits for other artists like Rob thomas and weezer... but he writes his own music now that's less marketable. And that's how I look at this.

We can do whatever we want at home. Write any genre.

Joe got me. I was just telling how you I've experienced the biz and how I hear it from most. There is a reason you see artists make 10 horror movies in a row or 10 comedies THEN they finally get to make that other genre movie they maybe wanted to make the entire time. Adam McKay is now going from comedy to a whole new world, isn't he? Or is he just making a different form of real life comedy? I don't know.

Anyway always examples of very very successful people to back up any claim you are looking for, but you have to look at the majority. Most writers don't make any money. So if you only think about how much a huge showrunner makes in TV and not the 90% who can't pay the rent, then you're not getting the realities of the business.

Write whatever you want. But if what you write sells or gets people excited, trust me they are going to want you to do that again and again and again... And I'm not saying just take it. I'm just saying know that before you try to sell a horror script and you really want to be writing musicals. Now it will be a good getaway in, but you will have to fight to get out that box... doesn't mean it can't be done.

In other words, you can write anything you want at home. But what you present to Hollywood, be sure it's what represents you in your heart. At least a little bit. Like maybe you wrote a mainstream comedy, but you really want to make an indie comedy, but at least it's still in that world.

So write the correct script for you that is good enough to sell vs writing a great script for a movie you don't even want to see yourself.

Don't chase the market. Chase your heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X