Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Manager relationship question

If this were me, I'd shop around for a new manager. You want someone who's enthusiastic about you and your work, and the best way they show that is by getting you into rooms. Might as well use the time and energy you'll spend hustling producer meetings in getting a new rep. Just my opinion.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree that it's strange to include the manager's info on submissions. It's kind of confusing for the person receiving it - if you have a manager, why isn't this coming from them? Plus, if I'm the manager, I'm weirded out by material going out with my name on it without being part of the process.

I get that it's a good litmus test in that he/she might say "I'd rather you didn't", and then you'll know whether you really have a manager. But you can also get that answer by telling him/her that you have a company reading your script and seeing if they offer to check in for you.
      https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
        So if you do this, then what is the point of having a manager? It's like hiring an agent to sell your house, and then you saying to the agent, "Hey, why don't I try and sell my home, while you don't sell it?"

That's ridiculous.

EJ
        I don't disagree that it's far preferable to have a rep who's out there hustling for you and submitting your material on their own. I.e., "representing" you.

It sounds like this rep doesn't want to do that.

So, either cut him loose, or see if he's willing to put his name behind your script. Asking his permission to name-drop doesn't change the situation that this guy isn't actively shopping you. It might move the needle... it might not.

It also doesn't prohibit the original poster from searching for other, more passionate reps (which is what she should be doing). It's just trying to get a little something out of this guy's ho-hum interest level. If you're going to be hip-pocketed, don't just sit and wait for magic. Be active!

The danger is that a production company will buy the script and then the OP will HAVE to pay this guy, who she likes and whose opinion she trusts, his requisite 10-15%.

Worst. Problem. Ever.

Comment

Everyone keeps saying "your manager." This is not her manager. This guy has made no agreement to represent her, which is why he's not performing his representational duties.

Her search for a "new manager" should be a given. Of course she needs a new manager, she doesn't even have a current one.

The real question is, what to do with a guy who likes her work, but has declined to commit to her?

She can cut him loose, or she can define their relationship and determine a future collaboration that meets both their needs.

And the guy may say, "You know what, I'm not comfortable with you putting my name on your queries." Great! Problem solved! Questions answered.

Comment

IMO, and experience, when you meet with a manager, they often fall head over heels in love with your writing/talent. They simply can't wait to expose you to town, and make an option/sale and have your name plastered over the trades. It's good for them (they get paid) and great for you (it launches your career).

I would consider trying to find a manager who fits the description above, and if that fails, I would explore the option of the manager the OP was referencing.

A classic newbie mistake is to sign with the first manager/agent that shows interest. A more experienced writer will quickly field other submissions and tell the original manager that "you want to consider your options, and evaluate them accordingly and fairly..." This buys you time to hear from other folks, who for example, may be more "in love" with your writing that the original manager.

EJ

Comment

To the OP: You don't have a manager. It's like dating, if you have to ask yourself "does this person like me" they usually don't. Go find one that does.

And like it has been stated, this person never signed you in the first place. There is no "maybe they rep me". Either they said "we are working together and here is the game plane" or they didn't. If they didn't, you don't have a manager.

Best,

MB
              twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                To the OP: You don't have a manager. It's like dating, if you have to ask yourself "does this person like me" they usually don't. Go find one that does.

And like it has been stated, this person never signed you in the first place. There is no "maybe they rep me". Either they said "we are working together and here is the game plane" or they didn't. If they didn't, you don't have a manager.

Best,

MB
                Thanks for the input, but maybe you could explain to me why he keeps the relationship going? He replies to my emails, he was the one to call me, and he'll email me out of the blue about one of my scripts and ask what the status is. If it's a dating analogy we're using here, is he just keeping me dangling until he finds someone better? Does he not like to break up?

This is the reason I'm confused. Rejection, while unpleasant, is pretty straightforward.

But I appreciate all the comments. I think I've come to the conclusion that he does like my work, (he's told me so, as well as telling me I'm talented) but he obviously has other clients/projects that excite him more. So everyone is correct in saying I should keep looking.

It seems, though, that I get a much better hit rate from producers when I query than I do from managers. Not sure why, maybe that's a question for another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by goldmund View Post
                  Maybe I'm naive, but if you've managed to get a producer interested in your script, why include the manager to whom you have no obligation? To give him 10% for nothing? And if the producer is interested and wants to buy/option it, wouldn't you easily find another manager then, more enthusiastic?
                  The producer is not interested. Maybe I didn't make that clear. She called me to tell me she loved my writing/scripts but would never produce a period piece. She was just trying to give me some helpful advice. Little did she know that all she did was raise my hopes only to dash them to pieces.

It's the story of my screenwriting "career."

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                    The real question is, what to do with a guy who likes her work, but has declined to commit to her?

She can cut him loose, or she can define their relationship and determine a future collaboration that meets both their needs.
                    You are 100% correct. This is the situation in a nutshell.

Now, how do you get a guy to commit?

Comment

Originally posted by sallain View Post
                      The producer is not interested. Maybe I didn't make that clear. She called me to tell me she loved my writing/scripts but would never produce a period piece. She was just trying to give me some helpful advice. Little did she know that all she did was raise my hopes only to dash them to pieces.

It's the story of my screenwriting "career."
                      You should take her advice and write a script that isn't period.

Comment

I wouldn't abandon period pieces if that's what you like. Write what you do best, be it period or not. Chasing the market often puts writers behind the curve. Plus, at some point there will be a huge period piece sale and suddenly everyone's looking for period pieces again...

I live by the philosophy that "No one's looking for X until they suddenly are."
                        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                          You should take her advice and write a script that isn't period.
                          I hate when people give this "advice." See Ryan Condal's career as an example for why you don't listen to it.
                          https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                            You don't have a manager. It's like dating, if you have to ask yourself "does this person like me" they usually don't. Go find one that does.

MB
                            Does it really matter if a rep likes you? Only reps I ever see hanging out with clients are reps who make a TON of money outta said clients. Writers shouldn't care if a manager or an agent likes them. They should care if a manager or an agent likes their writing. This is a business not a popularity contest. My reps seem cool, we get on well enough but I wouldn't wanna hang out with them. It's about the work.

Appreciate you're a manager Michael but I don't think it's cool to be telling young writers to go and find reps that like them. It's ALWAYS about the material not how you vibe as people. Poor form.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                              Does it really matter if a rep likes you? Only reps I ever see hanging out with clients are reps who make a TON of money outta said clients. Writers shouldn't care if a manager or an agent likes them. They should care if a manager or an agent likes their writing. This is a business not a popularity contest. My reps seem cool, we get on well enough but I wouldn't wanna hang out with them. It's about the work.

Appreciate you're a manager Michael but I don't think it's cool to be telling young writers to go and find reps that like them. It's ALWAYS about the material not how you vibe as people. Poor form.
                              I suspect he means "likes my material/me as a writer" not "likes me as a person", thought that is certainly a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                                You missed the point of that analogy, dude.

Comment

Working...
                                X