Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World's End

Kind of surprised no one has weighed in on this one yet...

While I wasn't blown away as with SHAUN OF THE DEAD, I thoroughly enjoyed this entry... although a lot of that is because Simon Pegg's character hit uneasily close to home for me (I'll fully cop to being a goth barfly in 1990 that stole my wardrobe from Andrew Eldritch ). But it's also a refreshing change of pace with dialogue being the focus rather just a tool to link the CGI setpieces.

As usual, Edgar Wright indulges in his own established leitmotifs but this time around eases away from the overt homage to films of the source genre that marked SHAUN OF THE DEAD and HOT FUZZ. In a lot of ways it's a more mature film, although there's still some unexpected homages, like recurring references to socio-religious satirist Robert Anton Wilson's work. And you probably need to watch this video to really get the subtext of the punchline.

If THE WORLD'S END has a weakness, it’s that the self-referential gags aren’t really built upon (say, Pegg hits the fence again... and that's it), and that the first act is a little heavy on forced banter that overreaches for the clever. On the other hand, clever banter is nice in itself, so that’s a small caveat (a very small one).

And, while at first blush THE WORLD'S END isn’t as completely satisfying as the previous entries, I'm guessing that once this puppy hits DVD and I have the leisure to deconstruct, my opinion likely will evolve.
    Last edited by Signal30; 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Re: The World's End

I agree with you. I found it more mature and thoughtful than the other two - I found it smart and pretty enjoyable -- but I didn't laugh as much.

Comment

Some funny moments, but narratively weaker than SHAUN or FUZZ. The last few minutes completely derailed the pic....

Comment

minor spoiler-

I enjoyed this movie until the long winded speeches at the end... I was sort of expecting them to liberate the people and revolt... if they weren't fertilizer(I think that's what happened to em')

Comment

Working...
        X